Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015, 08:20   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Re: Pots and pans

We have our beloved cast iron skillet on board and wouldn't be without it. The rest of our pans are All Clad (why not have the best on the boat as well as at home). We don't believe in nonstick so all is stainless.

Just the way *we* like it.. health is a one time thing so we don't take any chances with nonstick or aluminum. (Not wanting to start a flame war - I won't respond to any flames so save your breath)
Old 07-08-2015, 13:56   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
We brought all our pots and pans from home, and a full set of crockery too, though not the "good" crockery.

We brought most of our one of each size of the pots & pans and still have all of them. We brought our crockery plates, big soup bowls and smaller bowls that I separated with non-skid. They all made it too through storms and crashing uphill through harsh waves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think you should take your most used pans. If that happens to be one cast iron so be it..... but can you compromise? Is it really that important?

It's a process, you bring too much, you will then realize a year later after having to move that one cumbersome pan around every time you get in that cupboard that you don't need it and give it to a local woman, or chuck it overboard.

I agree. I didn't bring some things that I regretted and ended up re-buying some things. Any good items you don't need is so appreciated by locals in small villages.

I do agree that you want to watch you don't drop it
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:51   #33

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
For all the Magma lovers out there, do you use the stainless, non stick, or ceramic?
We have the non-stick and they have held up well for their first year... I think seasoned stainless would work just as well... but you must season [and maintain that seasoning...] the plain stainless pots...

Here is a great article from The Boat Galley on seasoning stainless cookware...

Cheers!

Bill
Old 08-08-2015, 10:57   #34

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
That's interesting. I just recently bought a full set of Corelle and was intending to replace it with lightweight indestructible plastic.

Should I rethink?
That might depend upon how you use your plates and bowls.

We have stayed with Corelle for years because we like the selection, weight and how they hold up [almost unbreakable...] Very important to us is they can be used in the microwave, oven, and broiler...

Those are our reasons for keeping the Corelle, but they may not be everyone's...