Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2014, 18:11   #61

Boat: 1976 Westsail 42
Re: My Quest for Water - Engineering build on a RO system

Has anyone seem an RO system that was pumped via belt drive off the diesel?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
theller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 18:39   #62
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by theller View Post
Has anyone seem an RO system that was pumped via belt drive off the diesel?

That's a standard engine driven water maker....send me an email at rich@cruiserowater.com and I will send you a copy of our engine driven water maker manual. You can use it as a template to build one yourself or we sell the unit ready to go along with Echotech and a few other companies I can give you to compair.

But would I recommend and engine driven system? No. I much prefer the electrically driven unit. The engine driven system is the siren song of DIY water makers and I've helped lots of folks salvage what can turn into a disaster when they can't get the engine pump mount done right.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 18:53   #63

Boat: 1976 Westsail 42

Just looking at the system I can make out the fundamentals. Where are you guys sourcing your HP pumps from and what sort of special considerations go into the selection die to the salt water exposure?

theller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 19:08   #64
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theller View Post
Just looking at the system I can make out the fundamentals. Where are you guys sourcing your HP pumps from and what sort of special considerations go into the selection die to the salt water exposure?

www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/uploads/sm30.pdf

Read the manual and you will learn a lot about basic water maker technology.
Old 28-10-2017, 09:12   #65
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I would have no problem betting a bottle of rum that you will see a competitive product (with chinese manufactured parts) on the market by January 2016 at a much lower price.[/QUOTE]

I would actually be willing to take that bet and up the ante.

Just bumping this thread as it is relevant to the thread it is linked to. Just hoping I might get my really nice bottle of Rum by now.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 14:48   #66

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
There are two ways you can make your better/cheaper water maker.

1. Invent a Hp pump that can generate between 1-3 GPM of flow rate at 800PSI and can withstand long term sea water exposure for less energy than it takes now.

2. Design a new RO Membrane (or similar technology) that does not need 800PSI to have a 99.4% salt rejection.
Rich is totally right that you need to do one of the above to get a less expensive watermaker and I do not think this is possible today. However, you can get a cheaper watermaker by modifying the constraint above.

You can get a second hand manual survivor for $200 off eBay and attach a home made motor to it. It will only produce 1.5 gph of fresh water and you will get hit on the membrane cost ($340) but the total cost will be sub $1,000.

In addition, there is a misting motor with a stainless steel pump that can be had for about $550 (12V motor and pump assembly), called Pumptec 116C, which produces about 0.2 GPM at 800 psi. You can probably fit this to a 14" membrane and make around 3 gph but it will be at the lower limit of flow for the membrane. That is another option for a sub $1,000, 3 gph watermaker. Alternatively, you can feed this into a Survivor 35 membrane and should easily get 3 gph.

These are the best options I have found for a cheap pump/motor assembly that uses stainless steel or plastic pumps.

Another option is to relax the water quality constraint. Have bottled water for drinking and cooking but use a cheap pump/motor/membrane to produce water for everything else, washing, bathing, cleaning. Replace the pump often.

Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 15:13   #67
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I would have no problem betting a bottle of rum that you will see a competitive product (with chinese manufactured parts) on the market by January 2016 at a much lower price.

I would actually be willing to take that bet and up the ante.

Just bumping this thread as it is relevant to the thread it is linked to. Just hoping I might get my really nice bottle of Rum by now.[/QUOTE]

I was actually going to say that myself...but I'm trying to turn over a new leaf where I limit my smart a$$ comments to one per week. And right now I'm 4 weeks in the hole already....
Old 28-10-2017, 15:23   #68

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I would have no problem betting a bottle of rum that you will see a competitive product (with chinese manufactured parts) on the market by January 2016 at a much lower price.

I would actually be willing to take that bet and up the ant

Just bumping this thread as it is relevant to the thread it is linked to. Just hoping I might get my really nice bottle of Rum by now.[/QUOTE]

Come on down to the island chain and collect your bottle. Anything of your choice (I prefer English Harbor these days).

Someone has definately missed the boat on this. I'm both surprised and not surprised. The Chinese are great and killing these niche markets, but unless someone leads them they will never find the nut.

At this point.. I still have 3-5 years of cruising and have no interest in thinking business. Maybe someday.. Maybe not.. My priorities have changed these days!

On the water front.. Our Rainman has produced 100-120L/hour for the first 24 months of our cruising adventure. Here is hoping it continues to perform for the next few years!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 15:32   #69
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I would actually be willing to take that bet and up the ant

Just bumping this thread as it is relevant to the thread it is linked to. Just hoping I might get my really nice bottle of Rum by now.
Come on down to the island chain and collect your bottle. Anything of your choice (I prefer English Harbor these days).

Someone has definately missed the boat on this. I'm both surprised and not surprised. The Chinese are great and killing these niche markets, but unless someone leads them they will never find the nut.

At this point.. I still have 3-5 years of cruising and have no interest in thinking business. Maybe someday.. Maybe not.. My priorities have changed these days!

On the water front.. Our Rainman has produced 100-120L/hour for the first 24 months of our cruising adventure. Here is hoping it continues to perform for the next few years![/QUOTE]

I'll only come down if we drink it together..
I just went out to dinner with Rainmans top guy. I'll pass on your satisfaction with his product next time I see him.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 08:39   #70

I'm also a mechanical engineer...after 10 years, I took a sailing sabbatical. While trading coffee for water through the Bahamas, I contemplated a cost effective RO system. I've got a few ideas and am willing to work with you on your side project. PM if you want to talk further.
jwillis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 09:17   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Rich is totally right that you need to do one of the above to get a less expensive watermaker and I do not think this is possible today. However, you can get a cheaper watermaker by modifying the constraint above.

You can get a second hand manual survivor for $200 off eBay and attach a home made motor to it. It will only produce 1.5 gph of fresh water and you will get hit on the membrane cost ($340) but the total cost will be sub $1,000.

In addition, there is a misting motor with a stainless steel pump that can be had for about $550 (12V motor and pump assembly), called Pumptec 116C, which produces about 0.2 GPM at 800 psi. You can probably fit this to a 14" membrane and make around 3 gph but it will be at the lower limit of flow for the membrane. That is another option for a sub $1,000, 3 gph watermaker. Alternatively, you can feed this into a Survivor 35 membrane and should easily get 3 gph.

These are the best options I have found for a cheap pump/motor assembly that uses stainless steel or plastic pumps.

Another option is to relax the water quality constraint. Have bottled water for drinking and cooking but use a cheap pump/motor/membrane to produce water for everything else, washing, bathing, cleaning. Replace the pump often.

Pizzazz
just sold a boat with a 35e on her the new owner is upgrading to one of riches systems so he is giving me the 35 ( now I will have 2 on my defender ) life is good
Old 23-12-2017, 12:24   #72
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
just sold a boat with a 35e on her the new owner is upgrading to one of riches systems so he is giving me the 35 ( now I will have 2 on my defender ) life is good
Bingo....a Merry Christmas Story for all....
Old 23-12-2017, 12:29   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Bingo....a Merry Christmas Story for all....
grand total 200 bucks .
Merry Christmas. Now to convince myself to spend more on my refer than I spent on the whole boat.

Tags
engine, engineer, water