Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 16:13   #31

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22
Re: Marine Barbeques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
I've got to say, I'm surprised some folks here have said they don't like their Magma kettle grills. I've been really happy with mine - and surprised at the amount of wind I've successfully lit and cooked on it in. I have mine mounted so it's sticking off the stern and out over the port side - not exactly a sheltered position. I've never seen mine blow out.
Same here! No complaints with my Magma kettle at all. When it wears out, I'll buy another.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:39   #32

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I was thinking someone should wind-test a bunch of portable and marine grills. Then I got to wondering if anyone already has.

Not according to Google. However, I did find a lot of grill reviews. Most were aimed at patio use, but a few were focused on portables.

This one introduced a new player, the Coleman RoadTrip, which I hadn't heard of before. Seems a little bulky. But the Weber came in 2nd, and was noted to have good performance in the wind (although they seemed more concerned about the cover slamming shut or the drip tray liner blowing away than having the flame blow out.

An article on TheBoatGalley site didn't really add much to the discussion, except to mention that some have reported varying results with Magma kettles in the wind (same as here.)

This article didn't even mention wind, but it was very favorable toward the Weber overall, for a bunch of other reasons.

Another good source is Amazon reviews. Most of these are from actual users, and although any random sampling of humans includes some who are totally clueless, the Weber Q1000 gets high praise. Search the reviews for "wind" and lots of folks were saying they bought it because their old grill was prone to blowing out. There's even a specific question about wind, and 4 out of 6 say good things. One didn't understand the question, and one said it sucks in the wind.

All this research is pushing me toward the Weber, but I suspect the final answer will be finding a way to erect a wind screen around whatever grill I'm using when needed.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:57   #33

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

My Magma party size I added a valve so that when the grill is set to its lowest setting I can lower it to just before the flame goes out for smoking meat.
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:18   #34

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
I bought our second Dickinson last year - they work for us. We don't eat land or air meat, but it works well on fish and veg. Biggest pain is the rail mounting bracket. Couldn't stop it slipping as the weight is off center, so fastened a brace from the bracket to the lower rail.
Whuts air meat? Land meat would be say...cows?
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:42   #35

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
Whuts air meat? Land meat would be say...cows?
Pigs, when they eventually fly..? (:

Birds, fowl, and other edible feathered animals.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:35   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i tossed my marine bbqs years ago. there is none that actually works well.
anything weber is great.
i prefer charcoal, which is prolific here--manzanito and mesquite grow on trees, and flavor meats nicely.
for you i vote weber. it is cute and cooks perfectly.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 00:15   #37

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Pigs, when they eventually fly..? (:

Birds, fowl, and other edible feathered animals.
... Once I met a guy, he claims to be a vegetarian. Saw him once at McDonalds eating a Big Mac. - His answer was:

"...Of course I am a vegetarian, I eat only meat from animals that eat vegetables!"

CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:47   #38

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
... Once I met a guy, he claims to be a vegetarian. Saw him once at McDonalds eating a Big Mac. - His answer was:

"...Of course I am a vegetarian, I eat only meat from animals that eat vegetables!"

Hahaha, he must have been an vegatble activist, killing off the animals that hurt plants?? Haha!
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:17   #39

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I suppose he is an indirect or "transitive" or "2nd grade" vegetarian?

A good salad has to go trough a cow stomach end end up as a steak, before we can digest it properly.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:24   #40

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Reminds me of a guy at a restaurant who looked at the salad being served to the lady next to him and said: "That's not food. That's what food EATS!"
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine