Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 19:00   #211

Boat: Islander 33 - 1966 flat top
Re: Living Without a Fridge

[QUOTE=Rakuflames;1279760]You can also live without refrigeration and not become a vegetarian, which just doesn't appeal to me. Nothing wrong with it, I have nothing against those who do, but I like meat. Don't eat a lot of it, but I like it.

Sure. If I wanted to eat meat I would pack jerky and those Italian dry salamis. My mom used to pack dry salami, hard cheese, and baguette for my lunches when I was a kid Delicious and no refer needed.

cheers,
Nat
NatKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 08:16   #212

Boat: Island Trader 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
All that preach to go without fridge are living in houses with fridges and freezers and what not

The ones that truly go without are eating cold beans straight from cans because it makes them feel tough and macho

Us wimps on the other hand, have fridges and freezers aboard and prepare meals that are a form of art. Strangely, all those who have no fridge aboard would love to be invited for a cold beer (wonder why that isn't a subject yet) and dinner... while they themselves can never return the favor because they have no cold beers and dinner to serve. Guess what, polarizing starts right there

The end result is that those who can't afford a fridge come up with a thousand excuses and reasons why it is better without a fridge. They still fish for invitations though...

ciao!
Nick.
So not having a fridge means you're poor and socially retarded? And here I thought it was a decision people made based on what was most important to them -- boats being trade-offs and all.
Rubyvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 08:48   #213
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyvee View Post
So not having a fridge means you're poor and socially retarded? And here I thought it was a decision people made based on what was most important to them -- boats being trade-offs and all.
Certainly, there is an advantage to being completely independant from the complexity and electrical requirements of refrigeration. I spent twenty years aboard without refrigeration, but I could easily have had it. I did often have ice. There are many choices that people may make to simplify their lives without much or any sacrifice. Though we now choose to enjoy our refrig/freezer with a low power need, as technology has vastly improved in this area; we have not owned a car for the past 12 years. Some may say this would also be a choice of the "poor and socially retarded". We have a friend that is leaving the area where we are now by motorcycle and he's offered us the use of his car while he is gone. We're having difficulty convincing him that we truly don't want the use of his car. He thinks we're just being polite and he can't imagine our lack of interest. Some people are so dependant upon modern devices that they assume those without are "poor and socially retarded", or in this case, to polite to impose.
Old 16-07-2013, 09:51   #214
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
So not having a fridge means you're poor and socially retarded?
Maybe. But theres a truth to it. When planning a long cruise it is important to think about entertaining others. It is more difficult to do with no refrigeration.
Cruising is a very social kind of thing at times.

I always keep a stock of visitor goodies for instant sundowners when someone comes-a-callin'.

Before folks go they need to look at the reality Vs the dream. The dream might be spearing a fish for breakfast but the reality is early AM fishing is once a month, the rest of the time its Corn Flakes and Milk........

Mark
PS I Don't eat Corn flakes

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 11:48   #215

Boat: Beneteau 323
We just ordered an Engel and three Hella fans and we are excited!

The bilge worked fine on Lake Superior. No need for a fridge there. As we moved down the latitudes and towards the East coast summer a fridge moved up our priority list. We tried a $30 truck fridge but the darn thing used 3 amps 24/7 and couldn't keep our mixed evaporated milk curdling.

I lived in tropical Port Moresby without electricity for a while as a kid, then lived in tent in the Northern Territory and Kimberly in my twenties... so I know it can be done.... but heck I have done my time and this fridge is going to make my Missus, kid and I happier campers.

Who knows - next we might replace our trusty tarp with a Bimini! Our beautiful boat should not be dressed in rags.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 19:58   #216

I felt real gratitude for the threads about living with no fridge. Until reading and researching these threads, I felt that we could never go for longer trips until we invested several thousand dollars in solar & refrigeration. Now I am re-thinking this to feel capable of longer trips sans refrigerator. After all, if people can do whole circumnavigations with no refer, then we can certainly up the ante on our coastal cruises with no refer. Our first 5 day trip geared toward zero refer was a success and next will be 7-10 days. Its not exactly blue water cruising but it helps me understand that a lot of the "gadgets" might not be necessary and we are more free to just sail without having to worry about budget for solar and refer. Great threads!
Old 19-07-2013, 20:12   #217
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:

I cooked really good meals using ice. It wasn't that long ago that everyone used ice, and somehow people still cooked good food. Boats ARE trade-offs. Mine did not come with a fridge. Now I have one.

Although having the fridge is nice, the thing I really love using is my induction cooktop. Wowsa that thing works well.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 22:25   #218

You have an induction cooktop on a BOAT????
Is this even possible?
LOL on our boat, I would be happy just to have the propane stove hold a steady low flame (it seems to have 2 settings: full flame or off). Luckily I often use a pressure cooker in the galley which requires less finesse with flame settings. Still, I miss my "simmer" burner on the home stove ... a typical boat meal requires multiple re-lightings of the flame just to get through a low-heat recipe };>
Old 19-07-2013, 22:34   #219

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatKat View Post
You have an induction cooktop on a BOAT????
Is this even possible?
LOL on our boat, I would be happy just to have the propane stove hold a steady low flame (it seems to have 2 settings: full flame or off). Luckily I often use a pressure cooker in the galley which requires less finesse with flame settings. Still, I miss my "simmer" burner on the home stove ... a typical boat meal requires multiple re-lightings of the flame just to get through a low-heat recipe };>
Nat, My oven is exactly the same LOL - off or extra hot. At least it is great for baking bread, pizza etc .

One tip, I use the pressure cooker as a "slow cooker". I just bring it to pressure and turn it off and leave it 1-2 hours without opening. If I am making chicken stock or cooking chick peas that will not be recooked in a dish, I just bring it back to pressure again and leave it to sit again. A long as the pot isn't opened it is fine to leave it until evening. The contents will not spoil even in hot weather without refrigeration. Minimal gas used and minimal heating of the boat and no steam and great slow cooking .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 22:53   #220

Thanks SeaWorthy Lass! I have not brought items up to pressure more than once. I had no idea you can do it multiple times. I cook all my beans, stews, and soups in pressure cooker. Real challenge with my stove is sauces or other recipes which need frequent stirring. Supposedly puddings can be done in a pressure cooker but I'm not sure this would work in my 3quart on a boat as it requires a stand inside the cooker to steam the pudding ??? So far my cooking method for pudding and similar "must stir" recipes is stir, adjust flame, re-light, repeat 10 or 15 times hahaha.
Old 19-07-2013, 23:54   #221

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatKat View Post
Thanks SeaWorthy Lass! I have not brought items up to pressure more than once. I had no idea you can do it multiple times. I cook all my beans, stews, and soups in pressure cooker. Real challenge with my stove is sauces or other recipes which need frequent stirring. Supposedly puddings can be done in a pressure cooker but I'm not sure this would work in my 3quart on a boat as it requires a stand inside the cooker to steam the pudding ??? So far my cooking method for pudding and similar "must stir" recipes is stir, adjust flame, re-light, repeat 10 or 15 times hahaha.
I have found the contents need to be fairly liquid so that the base does not burn when the pot is brought to pressure a second time. As this is only ever needed for stuff that normally takes 2 hours of simmering and for me this is chick peas and stock, it is not a problem. The 'turn off and leave 1-2 hour' method cooks everything else perfectly, including beans.

No great tips here for 'must stir on low heat' recipes. If I whisk sauces continually, they seem to do just fine with high heat. Things like rice pudding I just bring to the boil, cover and leave 15 minutes and repeat, stirring occasionally if I am walking past.

Sorry, this is a thread drift, but it's useful info I hope .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 18:16   #222

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Living Without a Fridge

I have been happy with no refer but now my two new best friends are Mr Adler and Mr Barbour. The dark side has colder beer.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 18:39   #223

Boat: Beneteau 323
We eat a lot of rice, beans, and lentils. Every which way. Good, cheap, long lasting boat food that reduces the need for a fridge and reduces trips to the grocery store. The pressure cooker is essential to making this possible.

That said, we recently acquired a fridge. Cold water on a hot day is priceless.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator