Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 20:54   #31

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Lite Cylinder "Emergency Safety Recall"

It wasn't too long ago that one of the big three domestic auto manufacturers (Chrysler?) had a large recall due to fuel tanks I believe. The manufacturer pulled out the big guns (read expensive lawyers) and had the recall reduced by about 30-40% or so.
Small companies can't afford to do that so one less small manufacturer. I'm all in favor of preventive safety measures, but from the tone of the manufacturer's notices they didn't agree with the recall, and didn't seem to have any opportunity given to figure out how to address the issue and still stay in business.
I'm going to keep using my 10 pounders, which have no history of problems, until I can't get them filled anymore.
Old 02-07-2013, 23:35   #32
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
It wasn't too long ago that one of the big three domestic auto manufacturers (Chrysler?) had a large recall due to fuel tanks I believe. The manufacturer pulled out the big guns (read expensive lawyers) and had the recall reduced by about 30-40% or so.
Small companies can't afford to do that so one less small manufacturer. I'm all in favor of preventive safety measures, but from the tone of the manufacturer's notices they didn't agree with the recall, and didn't seem to have any opportunity given to figure out how to address the issue and still stay in business.
I'm going to keep using my 10 pounders, which have no history of problems, until I can't get them filled anymore.
Have you read the recall order?
http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles...ompany_Inc.pdf

from page 5 onwards..
failed to report cylinder failures, continued to make dot=sp 13957 cylinders after being told not to, failed to test to minimum pressure, failed to random test cycle and burst test, continued to manufacture after tests didn't meet hardness limits, marked & sold cylinders which weren't up to specs, faulty hardening catalyst alarm...

More than a few minor issues. Seriously dodgy people.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 00:01   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereznai View Post
I would empty and destroy any tanks made by Lite Cylinder Company, regardless of age. Yes, you could have bought a good one, but there's no way to know.
I've gotten five years of use from it, that's got to be worth something.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 15:14   #34

Boat: Taswell 49
Just to let all know our 20 lb lite cylinder is still doing just fine. I plan to continue using mine till it stops hold gas. It's not like its going to just spontaneously combust. The propane inside is under 100psi. I have bicycle tires I'm more afraid of....
Old 12-09-2013, 15:35   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Just to let all know our 20 lb lite cylinder is still doing just fine. I plan to continue using mine till it stops hold gas. It's not like its going to just spontaneously combust. The propane inside is under 100psi. I have bicycle tires I'm more afraid of....
Same for me, and I'm in one of the hottest places with an ocean, in the hottest time of the year. Should be peak pressure in there.
Old 12-09-2013, 16:26   #36

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Same for me, and I'm in one of the hottest places with an ocean, in the hottest time of the year. Should be peak pressure in there.
A bit off topic, but does Mexico have 100% propane? Throughout the Carib, we are mostly getting a propane/butane mix and I rarely see tank pressures above 40psi or so. Really miss the good stuff...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 17:07   #37

Boat: PT-11
As long as you're ok with where it will leak to...
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 18:05   #38

Boat: Taswell 49
Had a regulator fail last month that let 1/2 a tank hiss out the vent hole so yeah guess I'm okay with where it will leak...
Old 12-09-2013, 20:15   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
A bit off topic, but does Mexico have 100% propane? Throughout the Carib, we are mostly getting a propane/butane mix and I rarely see tank pressures above 40psi or so. Really miss the good stuff...

Mark
I think so? I really don't know. In some of the marinas we've been in they fill up propane, and even call it propeina, but they could very well be mixing stuff in there.

Does the mix cause problems?
Old 12-09-2013, 20:23   #40

Quote:
Does the mix cause problems?
No, it just has a lower heat so cooking takes longer and some types of cooking are more difficult.

It is always called "propane" no matter what it is, and the mix seems to vary quite a bit from place to place. The biggest tell is the low tank pressure and the more blue and lower burner flame.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 12-09-2013, 20:28   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
No, it just has a lower heat so cooking takes longer and some types of cooking are more difficult.

It is always called "propane" no matter what it is, and the mix seems to vary quite a bit from place to place. The biggest tell is the low tank pressure and the more blue and lower burner flame.

Mark
I did some googling around and apparently it's normal to sell pure butane in Mexico. We've been here for a year so maybe we've just gotten used to it. My wife used the pressure cooker a lot which probably negates a lot of the temperature issues.

Any other stuff to watch out for though?
Old 12-09-2013, 20:32   #42

Quote:
Any other stuff to watch out for though?
Not with butane - no problems other than temp. Other stuff to watch out for? Well, it is Mexico...

Mark

Old 12-09-2013, 21:59   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Since this thread has drifted to propane quality I'll drift it some more.
As many of you know I'm a Lehr propane outboard dealer. The Lehr's are assembled and tested in China. I've noticed that they all seem to idle fast right out of the box. One day I was talking to one of their engineers and mention this to him. It turns out he had been to China and was involved in the testing program. He said that when they're put in the box, they've all been test run and the idle set correctly. His theory is that the propane in the US is more energy dense than what they use in China which makes the engine run faster on a given amount of propane.

Tags
safety