Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2017, 20:27   #16

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Ketogenesis friendly provisioning without refrigeration?

Oh hey - just thought of another tip: virgin coconut oil. You can use it in place of butter and does not need refrigeration. Super yummy in coffee or beef broth for a nice comfort drink.
Old 10-04-2017, 20:45   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Qnce you leave the US you no longer need to refrigerate eggs.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 21:10   #18

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
I think milk usually contains hidden carbs, no? I find when I drink it I get bloated.
Lactose is a sugar.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 21:15   #19

Boat: Albin Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Pressure canning meat is actually pretty easy and you can do it while you travel.
We bought this book

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Canning...reserving+meat

It sounds like a pain to can on the boat, but there are great rewards if you want to keep keto.

We do low carb too. I find it more difficult on the boat simply because there are few choices for easier meals. A big plus would be to make and can some ready to eat meals like stew or chilli. Sometimes you don't want to cook or simply cant

Speaking of keto - after 2 years of restrictions our carbs to 50 grams or less we have found that we can eat up to 100 grams carbs fairly regularly without I'll effect. I mention this because there maybe times when you don't have a lot of options. I just want to assure you that you won't "blow up" or start energy crashing!
Hey I love the joke about the cat and the buttered bread

Congrats on doing the low carb thing! I go on and off it regularly because I love junk food and sugary, creamy coffee so I am rarely fully fat adapted. It has made me tolerate junk food better though. Even after 2 weeks in St Martin drinking lots of sugary drinks and eating lots of that yummy coconut bread I still have abs showing a little bit. Probably mostly owing to intermittent fasting, what a difference that makes!

So why are you on low carb? Sounds like it might be a medical necessity?
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 21:16   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
Lactose is a sugar.
Makes sense, I used to chug a ton of milk and could not ditch the belly despite all the working out. "Does a body good" my ass, lol
Old 10-04-2017, 21:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Qnce you leave the US you no longer need to refrigerate eggs.
No? Not sure if you're joking or not. I saw unrefrigerated eggs in the Caribbean but I wasn't about to tempt fate. What's the diff?
Old 10-04-2017, 21:20   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Oh hey - just thought of another tip: virgin coconut oil. You can use it in place of butter and does not need refrigeration. Super yummy in coffee or beef broth for a nice comfort drink.
Yes I love coconut oil, not so much on its own but with some Kerrygold butter and licorice tea it has a sweet aftertaste with zero carbs
Old 10-04-2017, 21:43   #23

Quote:
No? Not sure if you're joking or not. I saw unrefrigerated eggs in the Caribbean but I wasn't about to tempt fate. What's the diff?
If an egg has been washed, it needs to be refrigerated.

All commercially-sold eggs in the U.S.have been washed.

If not washed, and never refrigerated, eggs are safe for a couple of weeks. Once washed or refrigerated, you have to keep them refrigerated.
Old 10-04-2017, 22:17   #24

Boat: 1983 Aloha 34
Ketogenesis friendly provisioning without refrigeration?

We've been cruising without refrigeration for 9 months now. Even in the US we make our eggs last unrefrigerated for about 2 weeks by turning them frequently. A quick and simple way to test an egg is to put it in a cup of water. If it floats, it's bad.

Sometimes you find some great packaged meat finds. I've picked up some chorizo, summer sausage, the pre cooked bacon, prosciutto, and even a country ham! You can also do canned chicken, BBQ pork, oysters, sardines, and all sorts of other strange canned meats. But I try to limit my intake of these things as they are often full of sodium and/or preservatives.

I am not super knowledgeable of keto specifically. I have done the low carb diet but it's been so long I've forgotten, are beans allowed? We love our beans with high protein and fiber. What about sweet potatoes (my fav) or regular potatoes? Those also store well. Since moving aboard I have lost a lot of weight and am healthier overall.

I highly recommend checking out theboatgalley.com where there are tons of tips on what you can get away without refrigeration, you'll be amazed! She also just released an E-book all about it so definitely check that out!
Old 11-04-2017, 00:06   #25

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Makes sense, I used to chug a ton of milk and could not ditch the belly despite all the working out. "Does a body good" my ass, lol
You may find unsweetened almond milk a pleasant alternative. No sugars, very low carbs, lots of "good" fat.

In the FWIW department: Everyone is different. My diet is high fiber, high carb, low protein and very little fat. I've weighed the same for ~30 years and pushing 60. Your diet would kill me in short order.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:34   #26

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
You may find unsweetened almond milk a pleasant alternative. No sugars, very low carbs, lots of "good" fat.

In the FWIW department: Everyone is different. My diet is high fiber, high carb, low protein and very little fat. I've weighed the same for ~30 years and pushing 60. Your diet would kill me in short order.
Everyone is not THAT different when it comes to how the human body metabolizes food. Most experts who understand nutrition and its effects on cardio vascular health, autoimmune diseases, cancers, diabetes, would lean toward a primarily plant-based diet. (Certainly not processed meat products that come out of factory farms that produce animals fed genetically modified and insecticide-laced foods and antibiotics.)
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:05   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Everyone is not THAT different when it comes to how the human body metabolizes food. Most experts who understand nutrition and its effects on cardio vascular health, autoimmune diseases, cancers, diabetes, would lean toward a primarily plant-based diet. (Certainly not processed meat products that come out of factory farms that produce animals fed genetically modified and insecticide-laced foods and antibiotics.)
People are that different.

People vary a great deal when it comes to how they process food.

Three were studies done, back in the seventies, where they feed university students food with radioactive-tagged carbohydrates. Almost none of the carbon ended up in fat. From this they concluded that de novo lipogenesis was a minor pathway in humans.

The thing is, everyone they studied was a young male in reasonable health who'dbeen eating a moderate carbohydrate diet. They just assumed everyone was the same.

They repeated the studies in the nineties, with people of different ages and health and found significant differences in energy partitioning depending upon diet and health.

Insulin resistant participants on hig cab diets converted almost all of their carbs into fat - exactly the opposite of what the insulin sensitive did.

People are different. There is no diet that is best for everyone.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...-may-be-bad-me
Old 11-04-2017, 07:55   #28

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Hey I love the joke about the cat and the buttered bread

Congrats on doing the low carb thing! I go on and off it regularly because I love junk food and sugary, creamy coffee so I am rarely fully fat adapted. It has made me tolerate junk food better though. Even after 2 weeks in St Martin drinking lots of sugary drinks and eating lots of that yummy coconut bread I still have abs showing a little bit. Probably mostly owing to intermittent fasting, what a difference that makes!

So why are you on low carb? Sounds like it might be a medical necessity?
No medical necessity. We started reading about diet and keto found us. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that cancers thrive on sugars so that's one good reason! Frankly there are a lot of good reasons but it's much too complex for cruisers forum.

However, at one time I maintenence the diet of conventional "wisdom". On one occasion I had my blood drawn and it looked like sludge, thick and dark but brownish, not red. Even the nurse had a surprised look in her eyes. Yuck! There was no explanation for that thick blood. I was healthy, I ate right, don't drink, and I exercised often.

After keto my blood is bright red, thin and the nurse always says "oh that's good!". My blood pressure, while good before, has fallen. My cholesterol has lowered, my heart rate and oxygen levels are better. I became healthier.

However, bread is my kryptonite. I love toast. I love brownies. I indulge but very little.

Don't forget, it's all about "net carbs" so eat your veggies!
Old 11-04-2017, 09:02   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Even after 2 weeks in St Martin
Are you in St Martin?

Canned butter from New Zealand. Brand is Anchor and it's superb. In supermarkets.

Brinkman Farms can meat for cruisers. Check for their website.

Most canned meat is tvp, fillers and potato so thats all out.

Spam is actually quite good but gets boring. Canned ham is good too. Canned chicken seems to be mostly water.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:14   #30

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Check out https://theboatgalley.com/downloads/...eration-ebook/ for a good book on living without refrigeration.

I don't know your diet, but we do SPAM, Underwood Deviled Ham, Hormel canned ham chunks, Costco canned chicken, canned salmon and other fish, Libby's roast beef and corned beef, Bridgeford shelf-stable pepperoni, salami, summer sausage.

A lot of the rest of what we do without refrigeration may not work for you: beans/lentils, rice, couscous, quinoa.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
provisioning, refrigeration