Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2017, 18:27   #1

Boat: Albin Vega
Ketogenesis friendly provisioning without refrigeration?

Hola!

I just fried up some slices of Spam in butter and am in heaven but it got me thinking:

I'm probably not going to have refrigeration on my boat when I get it so I wonder what other keto friendly (high fat, moderate protein & low/no carb) foods I might find canned or dried or whatever.

Canned tuna and salmon will be plentiful on my boat as will Spam, haha, but what about other stuff? I buy this "pre-cooked" bacon (already cooked) all the time and its usually just sitting in an aisle unrefrigerated despite high fat content, how's that work? I'm guessing if I tried that in the tropics I'd get sick pretty fast. What about canned bacon and canned meat? Anyone try this? I can't be the only one who doesn't want to eat bread and vegetables all the time. I've seen some weird stuff available in cans but haven't tried any of it. Of course I've yet to be stuck on a small boat in the middle of the ocean for a month so any advice would be appreciated.

Oh and how about butter? Ive left butter in a glass container in my truck for months in the summer but it smelled too bad to taste when I opened it. I read somewhere that boiling the butter and removing the water will prevent spoilage, have you found that to be the case? I loves my butter tea with coconut oil!
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 18:48   #2

Re: Ketogenesis friendly provisioning without refrigeration?

First things that come to mind:
- canned chicken (as from Sam's Club)
- canned roast beef (but watch for added sugar)

There is always the option of "canning" your own preferred foodstuffs.

You can buy canned butter (often sold by purveyors of survivalist foods) and it is very good.
dennismckim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 18:49   #3

Oh, and powdered eggs.
dennismckim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 18:58   #4

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

I've used raw canned bacon and of course cooked it. was pretty salty but pretty good with eggs. I recently bought a case (12 cans) of Yoder's precooked bacon but at the price of $10.00 per can I'm saving it till hell freezes over. I did read good reviews on it and they claim over 2 lbs bacon before cooking in the can. You can eat it out of the can but if you want it crispy, a minute in the micro-nuke box does it.
The survival web sights all advertise canned meats and other stuff for long term storage. I read every 10 degrees higher temp will lower the life span of the food by 1 year.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 19:02   #5

Boat: Oyster 66

Eat goose fat. The Frogs preserve stuff in it for years then eat it. They have the lowest incidence of CHD in the world more or less, so the French way is the way to go. Pretty miserable diet though if you ask me. I suggest a leaf or root or two in addition.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 19:03   #6

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

For butter look up Ghee. It has a long shelf life and is butter. Very traditional Indian food.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 19:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismckim View Post
First things that come to mind:
- canned chicken (as from Sam's Club)
- canned roast beef (but watch for added sugar)

There is always the option of "canning" your own preferred foodstuffs.

You can buy canned butter (often sold by purveyors of survivalist foods) and it is very good.
Oh cool I will check those out when I get back to Canada.

Is Sam's Club worth the membership fee for a single guy buying only food for trucking and sailing? I'm thinking of either getting a Costco card or Sam's Club but am unsure if its a good idea. I can't do much with monstrous cans of things.

Canned butter? That sounds awesome! Definitely trying that! Thanks!

I'd can my own stuff but I'm literally nomadic so it'd be more trouble than it's likely worth.
Old 10-04-2017, 19:13   #8

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

UHT (boxed) milk, soymilk, almond milk, rice milk
dried eggs
Jerkey (fish, turkey, beef, pork)
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 19:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
For butter look up Ghee. It has a long shelf life and is butter. Very traditional Indian food.
Yeah Ive seen it in stores, it looked gross to be honest but I suppose I should at least try it. I usually buy butter from grass-fed cows (though the language barrier makes it tricky ) so i'd prefer to have that if possible because it's nothing like the garbage most stores pass off as butter. Completely different taste/nutritional profile.
Old 10-04-2017, 19:19   #10

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

A waxed hard, acidic cheese has a shelf-life measured in decades. In fact, the only difference between a cheap mild cheddar and an expensive sharp cheddar is how long it's been sitting on the shelf.

For a number of years, now, I've been buying 40-pound blocks of organic cheddar, slicing it up into two-pound blocks, and storing it in the basement.

I used to wax it, but for the last few years I've been vacuum sealing it, which is faster, easier, cleaner, and far more foolproof.

I go through about two blocks a year, but the cheese is not just still good after six months, it's actually a lot better. (Aside from a few failures of wax coverage, in my first year, and there's nothing dangerous about cheese mold, it's simply unpalatable.)

I've not tried keeping these on a boat, but I certainly plan to try.

Old Country Cheese
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 19:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
UHT (boxed) milk, soymilk, almond milk, rice milk
dried eggs
Jerkey (fish, turkey, beef, pork)
I think milk usually contains hidden carbs, no? I find when I drink it I get bloated.

Dried eggs, though, I'd forgotten about those, thank you! I will try those. Fish jerky would be amazing. I bough "bacon jerky" once but it smelled weird so I flipped it into the trash and worried about worms, haha. Have you ever tried it on a cruise with success? Jerky in North America is such a gamble. So many times I've bought it and it's mouldy inside the bag. Not exactly confidence inspiring. :S
Old 10-04-2017, 19:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Bill View Post
I've used raw canned bacon and of course cooked it. was pretty salty but pretty good with eggs. I recently bought a case (12 cans) of Yoder's precooked bacon but at the price of $10.00 per can I'm saving it till hell freezes over. I did read good reviews on it and they claim over 2 lbs bacon before cooking in the can. You can eat it out of the can but if you want it crispy, a minute in the micro-nuke box does it.
The survival web sights all advertise canned meats and other stuff for long term storage. I read every 10 degrees higher temp will lower the life span of the food by 1 year.

Yoder's pre-cooked bacon? I will add that to the list. that would be heavenly in the middle of the atlantic. Thank you Oh yeah, I forgot about survivalists, haha I suppose they would have some good options.
Old 10-04-2017, 19:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Eat goose fat. The Frogs preserve stuff in it for years then eat it. They have the lowest incidence of CHD in the world more or less, so the French way is the way to go. Pretty miserable diet though if you ask me. I suggest a leaf or root or two in addition.
Have you tried it? I tried to find fois gras on St Martin last month but was unable to. I wouldn't imagine it lasts long without refrigeration, though. Is it good?

Haha even if I hated the diet (and I love it) I'm approaching 40 years of age and it gets harder and harder to stay lean. When I was a kid I could eat and drink carbs like nobody's business but if I do that now I'll get fat within a few weeks. I have every intention of being a sexy old man Haha.

I ate a vegetable once...didn't like it
Old 10-04-2017, 20:13   #14

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Pressure canning meat is actually pretty easy and you can do it while you travel.
We bought this book

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Canning...reserving+meat

It sounds like a pain to can on the boat, but there are great rewards if you want to keep keto.

We do low carb too. I find it more difficult on the boat simply because there are few choices for easier meals. A big plus would be to make and can some ready to eat meals like stew or chilli. Sometimes you don't want to cook or simply cant

Speaking of keto - after 2 years of restrictions our carbs to 50 grams or less we have found that we can eat up to 100 grams carbs fairly regularly without I'll effect. I mention this because there maybe times when you don't have a lot of options. I just want to assure you that you won't "blow up" or start energy crashing!
Old 10-04-2017, 20:23   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Yeah Ive seen it in stores, it looked gross to be honest but I suppose I should at least try it. I usually buy butter from grass-fed cows (though the language barrier makes it tricky ) so i'd prefer to have that if possible because it's nothing like the garbage most stores pass off as butter. Completely different taste/nutritional profile.
Ghee is just clarified butter with the milk solids allowed to brown a bit before they are filtered out.

To make your own, melt a couple of pounds of unsalted butter in a large pot and let it simmer until all the water hasn't evaporated. Then filter it all thru cheesecloth to remove the milk solids.

Finally add 1 1/4 teaspoon of salt per pound of butter remaining. The result is pretty much shelf stable forever so long as it is stored air tight.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
provisioning, refrigeration