Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2017, 09:14   #31

Boat: shopping
Re: Ketogenesis friendly provisioning without refrigeration?

buy the whole 30 cook book basically a more hard core paleo type of diet. High fat and protein 0 sugar and very low carbs if any.
icedog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:12   #32

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Are you in St Martin?

Canned butter from New Zealand. Brand is Anchor and it's superb. In supermarkets.

Brinkman Farms can meat for cruisers. Check for their website.

Most canned meat is tvp, fillers and potato so thats all out.

Spam is actually quite good but gets boring. Canned ham is good too. Canned chicken seems to be mostly water.
Preserve your own meat! Save money, get a better product. In the US we call it "canning" but we really mean jars : )

Yes, it's "work" and takes time and propane but much better results than tins you can purchase. AND the preserved product is already cooked when you pressure can the jars, so it's "ready to eat" if you are impatient. Buy 1/2 pint jars and you get single servings, so no waste. The jars are reusable so again no waste or trash dumping.
Old 11-04-2017, 13:11   #33

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Preserve your own meat! Save money, get a better product. In the US we call it "canning" but we really mean jars : )

Yes, it's "work" and takes time and propane but much better results than tins you can purchase. AND the preserved product is already cooked when you pressure can the jars, so it's "ready to eat" if you are impatient. Buy 1/2 pint jars and you get single servings, so no waste. The jars are reusable so again no waste or trash dumping.
I've never seen a boat galley with enough storage space to hold a 23-quart pressure canner.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 13:34   #34

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Obviously one does not actually store a canner "in the galley". Heck, even most of our food isn't stored in the galley. Also, you do not need a huge pressure canner. We use a 6qt pressure cooker. You have to be sure your cooker can achieve the right pressure but it's entirely doable.
Old 11-04-2017, 13:49   #35

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 18:35   #36

Boat: Albin Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Ghee is just clarified butter with the milk solids allowed to brown a bit before they are filtered out.

To make your own, melt a couple of pounds of unsalted butter in a large pot and let it simmer until all the water hasn't evaporated. Then filter it all thru cheesecloth to remove the milk solids.

Finally add 1 1/4 teaspoon of salt per pound of butter remaining. The result is pretty much shelf stable forever so long as it is stored air tight.
:|...okay i'm going to just buy ghee, haha. But i will try the other method if necessary one day...wherever one gets cheese cloth.

Your tagline is the best, couldn't agree more!
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 18:38   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
If an egg has been washed, it needs to be refrigerated.

All commercially-sold eggs in the U.S.have been washed.

If not washed, and never refrigerated, eggs are safe for a couple of weeks. Once washed or refrigerated, you have to keep them refrigerated.
Weird. Okay well that makes sense, then. Great! Thank you
Old 11-04-2017, 18:48   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrabens View Post
We've been cruising without refrigeration for 9 months now. Even in the US we make our eggs last unrefrigerated for about 2 weeks by turning them frequently. A quick and simple way to test an egg is to put it in a cup of water. If it floats, it's bad.

Sometimes you find some great packaged meat finds. I've picked up some chorizo, summer sausage, the pre cooked bacon, prosciutto, and even a country ham! You can also do canned chicken, BBQ pork, oysters, sardines, and all sorts of other strange canned meats. But I try to limit my intake of these things as they are often full of sodium and/or preservatives.

I am not super knowledgeable of keto specifically. I have done the low carb diet but it's been so long I've forgotten, are beans allowed? We love our beans with high protein and fiber. What about sweet potatoes (my fav) or regular potatoes? Those also store well. Since moving aboard I have lost a lot of weight and am healthier overall.

I highly recommend checking out theboatgalley.com where there are tons of tips on what you can get away without refrigeration, you'll be amazed! She also just released an E-book all about it so definitely check that out!
Thanks for the tip, I will try the egg turning thing.

No beans on keto, I like canned white beans in molasses with butter and sourdough toast but I think even the beans alone without the molasses would contain over 20 grams of carbohydrate so they are out. With the molasses it's closer to 60 grams of carbohydrate IIRC. The goal in keto especially if you are on a boat is to remain below 20g carb/day. I try for fewer because I want to be cut like a diamond, haha. Too bad, I love beans and toast. I shall have to cry in my bacon

I think sweet potatoes may have a low enough glycemic index to be acceptable but I would never have them on my boat, they take up space and are not as calorically dense and other options. The need most people have for carbs goes away once adapted to burning keto and the relatively low strain exercise sailing provides is easily handled by a person burning fat. generally, I avoid vegetables. Once in a while I like spinach or something similar but it's far from necessary. How early sailors developed scurvy I'll never know, I've gone months without eating vegetables or fruits.

I bookmarked theboatgalley.com, thanks for the tip!
Old 11-04-2017, 19:05   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
You may find unsweetened almond milk a pleasant alternative. No sugars, very low carbs, lots of "good" fat.

In the FWIW department: Everyone is different. My diet is high fiber, high carb, low protein and very little fat. I've weighed the same for ~30 years and pushing 60. Your diet would kill me in short order.
You think it'd kill you? How do you figure? The only way I could see keto being problematic is if you were already far down the road of atherosclerosis but if all your vitals are good and you eat a lot of fat daily I would be interested to know how you think more protein and less carb would affect you adversely .

Not trying to convert you or anything if you're happy then I'm happy I'm just genuinely curious.
Old 11-04-2017, 19:17   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
No medical necessity. We started reading about diet and keto found us. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that cancers thrive on sugars so that's one good reason! Frankly there are a lot of good reasons but it's much too complex for cruisers forum.

However, at one time I maintenence the diet of conventional "wisdom". On one occasion I had my blood drawn and it looked like sludge, thick and dark but brownish, not red. Even the nurse had a surprised look in her eyes. Yuck! There was no explanation for that thick blood. I was healthy, I ate right, don't drink, and I exercised often.

After keto my blood is bright red, thin and the nurse always says "oh that's good!". My blood pressure, while good before, has fallen. My cholesterol has lowered, my heart rate and oxygen levels are better. I became healthier.

However, bread is my kryptonite. I love toast. I love brownies. I indulge but very little.

Don't forget, it's all about "net carbs" so eat your veggies!
Haha awesome! I'm kind of the same way. I'd been trying the normal methods of staying lean for ages but found conventional wisdom was not so wise, after some research and trial and error keto found me too

Do you find you can sense changes in your blood now that you're on keto? I did Paleo years ago and ever since then I've been far more aware of how everything I consume affects me, it's really cool. I think since going on keto I've gotten a cold maybe once (because I was cheating on the diet and not sleeping at all) otherwise when I feel the infection come on I just eat nothing but fat and meat and zero carbs and it goes away within a day or so without even taking hold.

I hear you on the toast and brownies; love that stuff too. Now you've got me daydreaming about cornbread and sourdough with butter haha. Did you ever give up grains for more than a month? I find the effect of withdrawal amazing, I've read accounts of junkies going through withdrawal and this seemed similar in some respects. I had vivid dreams of eating toast, haha. after getting over grains, though I was always healthier, even now that I eat them occasionally. The damage they do is so profound it's amazing.

I'd probably eat veggies more often but when I'm at work (long haul trucking) they don't tend to keep well and I can't put them in my tiny fridge because they take up too much space for what they are worth so my veggie intake is usually limited. It doesn't seem to affect me adversely though, I must have some inuit ancestry
Old 11-04-2017, 19:26   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Are you in St Martin?

Canned butter from New Zealand. Brand is Anchor and it's superb. In supermarkets.

Brinkman Farms can meat for cruisers. Check for their website.

Most canned meat is tvp, fillers and potato so thats all out.

Spam is actually quite good but gets boring. Canned ham is good too. Canned chicken seems to be mostly water.
I was in Marigot for quite some time but now I'm back at work many degrees north (brrr) I will look out for that canned butter in the future. Probably will be back in the Caribbean by next winter albeit probably not on St Martin for long. Seemed like a brilliant place to reprovision, though.

Tvp? canned meat's contents would generally be obvious by way of the nutritional info, no? Or is that not a good indication? I guess protein is a slippery macronutrient considering lectins are proteins but nothing anyone should eat hmmm Yep spam gets boring but what's the alternative, really? I'll be on a shoestring budget so putting in a fridge/freezer isn't likely to happen ever for me. Hopefully I can catch some fish during my travels.
Old 11-04-2017, 19:30   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post

Where's the puking emoji? haha. I wouldn't give that to a starving dog! ugh! what's next? Canned boiled cow bones? haha extra gelatinous!
Old 11-04-2017, 20:03   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Where's the puking emoji? haha. I wouldn't give that to a starving dog! ugh! what's next? Canned boiled cow bones? haha extra gelatinous!
Lol...if your up to it watch the video....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 21:15   #44

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
I'm just genuinely curious.
Allow me to turn the question around: How would you fare on a diet of broccoli, tomatoes, oranges and the occasional bowl of oats?
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:19   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I've never seen a boat galley with enough storage space to hold a 23-quart pressure canner.
One does not need a 23 quart pressure cooker to preserve food. We have a 10 quart pressure cooker than can process four quarts at a time. I would like a bigger cooker but my stove top will not handle that large of a pot.

We have the 910 pressure cooker and it is a good compromise in processing volume and size, All American Pressure Canners - Free Shipping | All American Canner

The 915/15 quart model would allow me to can in one operation almost two gallons of soup which is the amount I normally process. But I would have to use an outside burner to do so.

My soups and other foods we preserve taste much better than the crap sold in stores and our food is far more healthier.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
provisioning, refrigeration