Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2016, 13:16   #31
Senior Cruiser
 
nautical62's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Live Iowa - Sail mostly Bahamas
Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Posts: 2,138
Images: 11
Re: Fresh water supply from creeks or rivers for showers/cooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Boil and filter suspect water. I did it to the bottled water when I lived in Nigeria.
+1

I recently purchased a life straw water bottle filter. They are becoming very popular in third world countries and would be a very easy way to filter water from the tank prior to drinking. I used to use a UV water bottle system to treat water coming out of my very old boat tank, but I think I like the life-straw idea better.

While there certainly are people who get sick from drinking bad water, there are also all sorts of examples of people who regularly collect and treat water from the environment themselves with no ill effects. I really don't get why so many seem to think these proven methods won't work for people on sailboats.
__________________

__________________
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 13:52   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 393
Re: Fresh water supply from creeks or rivers for showers/cooking?

Recommended show, ''Monster inside of me''. Enough to scare the bejeezus out of me.
__________________

__________________
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 13:56   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 306
Re: Fresh water supply from creeks or rivers for showers/cooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I wouldn't for cooking. Even if up stream is only forest it can be full of fecal coliforms from the wild life.
He says opening another Coke.

In the process , quite happy to erode tooth enamel, consume known carcinogens, and increase his chance of diabetes while becoming morbidly obese.


Quite obviously some here haven't got the "smarts" to assess a water source/location and make an informed decision.

Probably best to stick to Coke.
__________________
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 13:58   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 421
Re: Fresh water supply from creeks or rivers for showers/cooking?

In a non-industrialized country, biologicals are your primary concern. Treatment and filtration will work.

In an industrialized country, you'll have to survey what's upstream.
__________________
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 14:00   #35
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 11,302
Re: Fresh water supply from creeks or rivers for showers/cooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
While there certainly are people who get sick from drinking bad water, there are also all sorts of examples of people who regularly collect and treat water from the environment themselves with no ill effects. I really don't get why so many seem to think these proven methods won't work for people on sailboats.
The operative word here is "treat" and I might amend that to say "treat properly". If properly treated, water from most sources IE without toxins, chemicals, etc can be made safe to drink. I believe most objections on this thread are about suggestions that with little or minimal treatment surface water can be safe to drink.

To make pathogen contaminated water safe to drink requires at a minimum filtration with a max filter size of 1 micron AND chlorination. Boiling on top of these treatments would be an extra safety step and recommended for pregnant women, very old or very young and anyone with a compromised immune system.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 14:19   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 393
Re: Fresh water supply from creeks or rivers for showers/cooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
He says opening another Coke.

In the process , quite happy to erode tooth enamel, consume known carcinogens, and increase his chance of diabetes while becoming morbidly obese.


Quite obviously some here haven't got the "smarts" to assess a water source/location and make an informed decision.

Probably best to stick to Coke.
Question: how do you ''assess a water source/location'' to determine if a bird crapped in the water? (or snake, chipmonk, rabbit, raccoon, ect.)
__________________
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 14:21   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: virginia
Boat: islandpacket
Posts: 1,668
Re: Fresh water supply from creeks or rivers for showers/cooking?

Quite obviously some here haven't got the "smarts" to assess a water source/location and make an informed decision.:[/QUOTE]

Wow, some smart people here don't know that they don't know. That is a really uninformed remark.
__________________
That derelict boat was another dream for somebody else, don't let it be your nightmare and a waste of your life.
Badsanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 15:06   #38
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 4,490
Re: Fresh water supply from creeks or rivers for showers/cooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
He says opening another Coke.

In the process , quite happy to erode tooth enamel, consume known carcinogens, and increase his chance of diabetes while becoming morbidly obese.


Quite obviously some here haven't got the "smarts" to assess a water source/location and make an informed decision.

Probably best to stick to Coke.
I prefer opening another beer.
__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 15:41   #39
Senior Cruiser
 
nautical62's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Live Iowa - Sail mostly Bahamas
Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Posts: 2,138
Images: 11
Re: Fresh water supply from creeks or rivers for showers/cooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The operative word here is "treat" and I might amend that to say "treat properly". If properly treated, water from most sources IE without toxins, chemicals, etc can be made safe to drink. I believe most objections on this thread are about suggestions that with little or minimal treatment surface water can be safe to drink.

To make pathogen contaminated water safe to drink requires at a minimum filtration with a max filter size of 1 micron AND chlorination. Boiling on top of these treatments would be an extra safety step and recommended for pregnant women, very old or very young and anyone with a compromised immune system.
Not all surface water is the same. I've done month long canoe trips where we could and did drink lake and river water without any treatment. I lived in and visited communities that use untreated surface water as their drinking water source, tested safe to drink. I've done backpacking in the Rockies were Giardia is very common and can be a risk even with boiling or iodine treatment. I've paddled rivers with chemical pollutants that can't be made potable by any of the conventional individual treatment options.

You yourself just stated that even pathogen contaminated water may require minimal treatment to be made potable. A $40 life straw bottle filter will filter down to 0.2 microns. Just fill the bottle and drink. No need to even pump. These filters have been proven effective with some fairly nasty water in developing countries. They certainly can be effective with fairly clean Canadian water. This past summer I spent quite a bit of time hiking a river valley where simply dropping 2 very small potable aqua tablets in a quart of water was sufficient. An entire bottle of potable aqua tablets is about the size of 8 dimes stacked. You don't get much more minimal than that, yet it's effective for the right water source.

Again, most people who go backpacking, canoeing, etc, regularly drink surface water using very simple, minimal treatment options. Given a reasonable water source, such as the isolated streams of western B.C., there is no reason why cruisers can't use these same methods.

Many seem to think only water treated by a commercial treatment plant can be safe to drink. That's simply not true. Many surface water sources can be made safe to drink with minimal treatment such as chemical treatment, filtration, UV, or boiling. Some surface water is even safe to drink without any such treatment as confirmed by laboratory testing and actual human consumption.
__________________
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 18:00   #40
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 11,302
Re: Fresh water supply from creeks or rivers for showers/cooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Not all surface water is the same. I've done month long canoe trips where we could and did drink lake and river water without any treatment. I lived in and visited communities that use untreated surface water as their drinking water source, tested safe to drink. I've done backpacking in the Rockies were Giardia is very common and can be a risk even with boiling or iodine treatment. I've paddled rivers with chemical pollutants that can't be made potable by any of the conventional individual treatment options.

You yourself just stated that even pathogen contaminated water may require minimal treatment to be made potable. A $40 life straw bottle filter will filter down to 0.2 microns. Just fill the bottle and drink. No need to even pump. These filters have been proven effective with some fairly nasty water in developing countries. They certainly can be effective with fairly clean Canadian water. This past summer I spent quite a bit of time hiking a river valley where simply dropping 2 very small potable aqua tablets in a quart of water was sufficient. An entire bottle of potable aqua tablets is about the size of 8 dimes stacked. You don't get much more minimal than that, yet it's effective for the right water source.

Again, most people who go backpacking, canoeing, etc, regularly drink surface water using very simple, minimal treatment options. Given a reasonable water source, such as the isolated streams of western B.C., there is no reason why cruisers can't use these same methods.

Many seem to think only water treated by a commercial treatment plant can be safe to drink. That's simply not true. Many surface water sources can be made safe to drink with minimal treatment such as chemical treatment, filtration, UV, or boiling. Some surface water is even safe to drink without any such treatment as confirmed by laboratory testing and actual human consumption.
Since you're quoting my post I assume you're addressing these comments to me.

Again, if you are answering my post you do make a whole of assumptions and extrapolations from my words that were not said or meant.

You are absolutely correct in what you say and I do not disagree: that some surface water is safe to drink, water that isn't treated by a municipal water plant can be treated and safely drunk by various methods, etc, etc, etc.

Yes I have drunk untreated water from the environment but I knew the source and quality. My main point, one cannot look at water and tell if it is safe to drink or not. To drink untreated surface water without good information about the quality or source is like rolling the dice. Most of the time you'll be fine. Occasionally you'll pay the price. Usually the price will be a bit of gastrointestinal distress. Occasionally the price can be a bit higher.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 18:02   #41
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 11,302
Re: Fresh water supply from creeks or rivers for showers/cooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Question: how do you ''assess a water source/location'' to determine if a bird crapped in the water? (or snake, chipmonk, rabbit, raccoon, ect.)
Or the locals in a little village 20 miles up the river.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 19:15   #42
Registered User
 
J Clark H356's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grand Rivers, KY
Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Posts: 393
Fresh water supply from creeks or rivers for showers/cooking?

Look into a SafeH2O system. This is a filtration and UV light system that is very economical. They have on-board and portable models. They have one unit that is for survival use and includes a 12 volt pump. I have the on-board model and we use marina water but with this system we always have pure fresh water. Our unit cost around $250 and the annual filters and UV light is $53.

http://www.safh2ouv.com/Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1476667085.912676.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	132999
__________________
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 19:51   #43
Coastal Cruiser.
 
uncle stinkybob's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: P.N.W.
Boat: Lancer 30-5
Posts: 545
Re: Fresh water supply from creeks or rivers for showers/cooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Or the locals in a little village 20 miles up the river.
or the dead cow 1/2 mile around the bend? This happened 2 blocks from where I lived in Tri-City's. WA.

As I came home from work, around the corner from my driveway, I watched a huge bunch of kids playing in the their front yard sprinklers, having a great time, must of 15 of them. All yard irrigation in that area is open ditch, pumped to each house from ditch underground. As I came around the corner with the ditch 100 Yards from my house, this being up stream, a crew in bio suits were pulling a mans body from the ditch, it had been in the ditch for an estimated 4 to 6 weeks, badly decayed.
Those kids were playing in what was escaping from the body.
A creek or river system, in any kind of length at all is going to have many animal corpse's decaying in it.
just plain nasty and a very serious health concern.
__________________
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 20:07   #44
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: el campo
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,175
Re: Fresh water supply from creeks or rivers for showers/cooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
........
Those kids were playing in what was escaping from the body.
A creek or river system, in any kind of length at all is going to have many animal corpse's decaying in it.
just plain nasty and a very serious health concern.
Corpses, cow poo, human poo....

That's why I don't drink South Australian beer, wadjarekon that sediment in the bottom of a bottle of Coopers is?
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 21:19   #45
Registered User
 
sy_gilana's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On board
Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Posts: 1,042
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Fresh water supply from creeks or rivers for showers/cooking?

Thanks to all that called me uneducated etc.
All I said is we have been doing this for 18+years, and no serious ill effects. I don't have any options in the areas I cruise, its river water or rain. We don't have a watermaker.

My answer to the OP was quite simple and to the point. I think that he will be fine cleaning and washing in that water, and we even drink it. Some might disagree, and insist on only imbibing the purest of pure water. We have met many of them over the years, and the funny thing is, they insist on drinking their watermaker water only, but then they go ashore and put ice in their drinks, and spend the next few days doing the potty polka.

No, were not stupid, we check, speak to the locals and make a decision.

The closer you live to the edge, the better the view....I might not live long, but I'm going to live strong!

Come on out here, lets go spearfishing, lets go kitesurfing, lets drink the rain and river water, life is full of risks, but I refuse to live in fear.
__________________

__________________
Tight sheets to ya.
http://gilana.org
sy_gilana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cooking, shower, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great Lakes as fresh water supply? ex-12m-guy Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 22 29-03-2016 18:27
negative power supply and 12v negative battery supply same thing? er9 Marine Electronics 8 02-03-2016 09:06
Fresh Water Supply bgallinger Provisioning: Food & Drink 4 27-02-2015 05:44
Laundry and Hot Water Showers sailor49 Meets & Greets 31 25-05-2013 07:06
Meteor Showers - Aug. 12 GordMay Fishing, Recreation & Fun 4 22-08-2005 05:46


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:55.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.