Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 10:51   #61

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Fresh water supply from creeks or rivers for showers/cooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Drinking untreated water from unknown sources is a bit like having unprotected sex with strangers. You might be fine or you might catch a disease.

The question is, is it worth the risk?

So by that analogy:

When I take on water from a fuel dock away from home when cruising, I don't know the actual source, I don't know how it was actually treated and I don't know anything about the cleanliness of the delivery system, so thats like having unprotected sex with strangers.

But when I take on water myself directly from the source, using my own equipment and filter my drinking water myself, I know the source, how it was transported and treated, so that's like practicing safe sex.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 11:27   #62

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
To be specific, I have routinely drank water directly from many remote lakes and rivers, including Lake Superior (where I have filled my tank water directly from the Lake). I usually filter drinking water using a high quality manual filter, but not always.

I would NOT drink water from stagnant sources, nor areas close to urban or farm activities. I don't drink Lake Ontario water (where I sail now).

I have never researched this, but I do find it interesting that in some locations (Mexico?) locals are able to drink the water when visitors are not. Could this be yet another example of the rich western societies being too clean? I haven't looked at the research, but this is certainly true around other aspects of our over-clean life.

So, to answer the OPs question. I would say, yes, it is might be possible in specific circumstances. But I wouldn't count on it. Rain collection is a better option for cruising sailors.
No doubt there is fresh clean water in many parts of the world. I have drunk from a fair bit of streams myself when needed.
Springs that percolate through stone or sand offer filtration and are usually very safe and one need not hesitate to drink the water.
But, when there are parasites like crypto or bacteria like geardia, the water can appear beautiful and unspoiled, so you never know what you are going to get. since these things can make you very very sick, don't mess around if you don't have to. The unprotected sex analogy is very good. Sure she is beautiful but....
Old 17-10-2016, 16:05   #63

Boat: islandpacket

We will do as each feels comfortable with. Do as you wish.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-10-2016, 17:56   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Drinking untreated water from unknown sources is a bit like having unprotected sex with strangers. You might be fine or you might catch a disease.

The question is, is it worth the risk?

However in a sad funny sort of way I'm not sure TREATED water from a KNOWN source is always safe.

We are presently cruising Tassy and a quick google shows that Taswater publishes Public Health alerts and appears to have finally decided to come clean and recomend that one does not consume their reticulated water in Whitemark. Appears as though its contaminated with lead.

Whitemark residents and visiting cruisers filling their tanks, have been ingesting the contaminants for years.

Now that explains a lot.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 18:08   #65

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
So by that analogy:

When I take on water from a fuel dock away from home when cruising, I don't know the actual source, I don't know how it was actually treated and I don't know anything about the cleanliness of the delivery system, so thats like having unprotected sex with strangers.

But when I take on water myself directly from the source, using my own equipment and filter my drinking water myself, I know the source, how it was transported and treated, so that's like practicing safe sex.
I truly hope you are not so stupid as to interpret my words to mean that.

You go ahead and drink what you want, you're going to anyway. I'll stick with approved treated water.
Old 17-10-2016, 19:05   #66

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Story told to me by somebody in La Paz

A boat came down from I believe the PNW, and had issues with his water tanks. When they opened them up to inspect them, they found them over 50% full of mussels. The guy picked up water from a marina that was getting it's water from a stream, and somehow the mussels came from that water. They grew and multiplied in his tanks until he had to cut the tanks out and replace them.

Can't imagine what a PITA that project must have been.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 19:31   #67

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
No doubt there is fresh clean water in many parts of the world. I have drunk from a fair bit of streams myself when needed.
Springs that percolate through stone or sand offer filtration and are usually very safe and one need not hesitate to drink the water.
But, when there are parasites like crypto or bacteria like geardia, the water can appear beautiful and unspoiled, so you never know what you are going to get. since these things can make you very very sick, don't mess around if you don't have to. The unprotected sex analogy is very good. Sure she is beautiful but....

Yes, this is why I said one needs to be smart about drinking untreated water. Any open source carries a risk of contamination. You can mitigate this risk with knowledge, but you can't erase it.

The OP asked if it was possible. The answer is clearly yes, in specific circumstances and with reasonable precautions. But if you deem the risk too high, don't do it.

BTW, as has been said, filling your tank with dock water is also a risky affair. In some places the risk is small, in other locales it is significant. As with all things in life, do your best to assess the risk, and act accordingly.
Old 17-10-2016, 22:40   #68

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, one test is to determine if you would swim in the source water. Most folks swallow a certain amount of water whilst swimming in it... or at least get it in their mouths, and that's all it takes to ingest a microbe.

About every year or so, we have a thread on CF about drinking rainwater. There are always folks who say that this is deadly, etc. And then someone from a rural Australian background points out that much of rural Oz survives on collected rainwater, and usually without even basic treatment. Similar areas exist in many countries. Perceived risks often have little relationship to actual hazards, and this is a fair example of the syndrome.

You will never convince the "pure water or bust" folks... it's a waste of time arguing IMO, so do what seems best to you at the time. If that means drinking non-purified water, well, lots of us have survived doing so. A few have subsequently had problems, problems that may have origins in the water. Life's a risk...

Jim
Old 18-10-2016, 05:12   #69

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
About every year or so, we have a thread on CF about drinking rainwater. There are always folks who say that this is deadly, etc. And then someone from a rural Australian background points out that much of rural Oz survives on collected rainwater, and usually without even basic treatment. Similar areas exist in many countries. Perceived risks often have little relationship to actual hazards, and this is a fair example of the syndrome.
Ha Jim, a certain marina down here in Tassie uses untreated rainwater collected of the roof and pumped direct to the marina taps. So any yachties topping up their tanks thinking they are getting treated townwater are in for a surprize. Unfortunately I filled my tank with it during bushfire season and ended up with smoke tainted water..
Old 18-10-2016, 12:11   #70

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Ha Jim, a certain marina down here in Tassie uses untreated rainwater collected of the roof and pumped direct to the marina taps. So any yachties topping up their tanks thinking they are getting treated townwater are in for a surprize. Unfortunately I filled my tank with it during bushfire season and ended up with smoke tainted water..
Aha! At last an explanation for your weird behavior, Ben! You've been smoked from the inside out.

Wonder which marina that might be???

Jim
Old 18-10-2016, 12:52   #71

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Sounds like Kettering, last time I was there water was rationed and the town which I think was bore water was unpotable.

Down on the campo I've been drinking rainwater off the roof for the last 35 years. Had a bird's beak come out of the tap once....
Old 18-10-2016, 13:06   #72

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Sounds like Kettering, last time I was there water was rationed and the town which I think was bore water was unpotable.

Down on the campo I've been drinking rainwater off the roof for the last 35 years. Had a bird's beak come out of the tap once....
DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF, EL PING!
Old 18-10-2016, 15:55   #73

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Aha! At last an explanation for your weird behavior, Ben! You've been smoked from the inside out.

Wonder which marina that might be???

Jim
Nah, I was a bit of an odd ball well before the smokey water incident.. hoping it might have preserved me well enough for an eccentric old age.

BTW Ping has it right (love your new profile pic ping, brings back a few memories of Cabo de Hornos). I think OC marina trucks in town water these days.
Old 18-10-2016, 17:38   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Back around the turn of the century, Port Moresby had major water supply problems.

We survived primarily on water tanks which were kept topped up by a mixture of rainwater from the roof and water brought from the Laloki River. The river water was just pumped into tanks built on the back of trucks and delivered to properties without any treatment. There was no noticeable increase in water borne illness.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 07:43   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I think I'll stick to being one of those "clowns" and stick with my Spectra and silent solar panels instead of your Honda 2000 anchorage peace wrecking noisemaker.

Yes, I understand wanting to use your Spectra, but the OP stated using FRESH water from lakes, streams. If used in fresh water it will ruin your filters in a hurry.
PortHoleDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, shower, water