Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2020, 20:32   #31

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: Freezer Only Aboard?

I currently have a freezer/fridge set up (where you set the temp for the whole unit to be one or the other). I've been thinking I'm going to add a freezer/fridge combo unit, where I'll set the complete thing as a freezer, then as I use up the frozen food, turn the partitioned areas into a fridge. The one I am looking at (Snomaster) is supposed to be very power efficient and it's divided 1/3 / 2/3. I would do 100% freezer when leaving civilization. Set the 2/3rd to freezer (rest fridge) as I used up things, then finally go to 1/3 freezer for ice cubes and any fish I'd catch.

I went without anything for 2 years. I've found a fridge is very good for cold drinks, keeping condiments from spoiling, and making large batches of food and having them "ready to eat" instead of cooking all the time.
Old 06-12-2020, 20:34   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
I currently have a freezer/fridge set up (where you set the temp for the whole unit to be one or the other). I've been thinking I'm going to add a freezer/fridge combo unit, where I'll set the complete thing as a freezer, then as I use up the frozen food, turn the partitioned areas into a fridge. The one I am looking at (Snomaster) is supposed to be very power efficient and it's divided 1/3 / 2/3. I would do 100% freezer when leaving civilization. Set the 2/3rd to freezer (rest fridge) as I used up things, then finally go to 1/3 freezer for ice cubes and any fish I'd catch.

I went without anything for 2 years. I've found a fridge is very good for cold drinks, keeping condiments from spoiling, and making large batches of food and having them "ready to eat" instead of cooking all the time.
Sounds like a good plan. I'll have a look at those Snomaster units.
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 20:38   #33

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Who is going to notice if you get a deer in Alaska, Its not exactly over populated with people,

A gun licence would be your bigger problem,

Actually, under U.S. law, foreigners who have a state-issued hunting license are permitted to import and possess firearms for the purpose of hunting, so it is in fact the hunting license that matters in this situation.

As a non-resident visitor to the U.S., it is difficult to qualify for possession of firearms for any other reason. The U.S. and the individual states do not offer a "gun license" as such.
Old 06-12-2020, 20:41   #34

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathenly Twins View Post
Yeah that's huge...did you sail all the way around? How about Indonesia? I really want to go there.
Im Ready to leave, Been waiting for our borders to open,
Not that we have Borders, But Covid changed that, Govt, Duhhhh

Crocodiles dont worry about whats on for lunch either,
20 foot long, Walking up my back steps, Hahahaha
I wont be using my blow up dinghy up there either,
Its great I can park on a sandy beach with the tide out,
Well clear of any thing that wants to eat me,
New Guinea is closer, 100 miles across the Arafura Sea,
But its pretty rugged,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 20:49   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Im Ready to leave, Been waiting for our borders to open,
Not that we have Borders, But Covid changed that, Govt, Duhhhh

Crocodiles dont worry about whats on for lunch either,
20 foot long, Walking up my back steps, Hahahaha
I wont be using my blow up dinghy up there either,
Its great I can park on a sandy beach with the tide out,
Well clear of any thing that wants to eat me,
New Guinea is closer, 100 miles across the Arafura Sea,
But its pretty rugged,
Yeah Covid has derailed a lot of plans

Have you got a bilge-keel boat? That's pretty handy.

Yeah PNG seems pretty interesting. I heard there are something like over 400 tribal languages spoken there and yeah, it looks pretty primitive from what I've seen. I kind of like that, though. Probably overpopulated, though.

So the plan is to go around Australia and then?
Old 06-12-2020, 20:51   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Actually, under U.S. law, foreigners who have a state-issued hunting license are permitted to import and possess firearms for the purpose of hunting, so it is in fact the hunting license that matters in this situation.

As a non-resident visitor to the U.S., it is difficult to qualify for possession of firearms for any other reason. The U.S. and the individual states do not offer a "gun license" as such.
May I ask where this information was obtained?
Old 06-12-2020, 21:14   #37

Quote:
May I ask where this information was obtained?
I live near the U.S.-Canada border and occasionally hunt and fish, sometimes crossing the border to do so. And some of my friends and family are, how shall we say, gun enthusiasts.

But you can confirm much of this information on the government's web site.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/do-n...-united-states
Old 06-12-2020, 21:35   #38

State firearms laws are available here:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/state-l...s-34th-edition
Old 06-12-2020, 21:36   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I live near the U.S.-Canada border and occasionally hunt and fish, sometimes crossing the border to do so. And some of my friends and family are, how shall we say, gun enthusiasts.

But you can confirm much of this information on the government's web site.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/do-n...-united-states
Much appreciated, mate.
Old 07-12-2020, 00:22   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Oh I would never roll the dice with the USA authorities, I like my freedom.

I have a Canadian firearms license already and initial investigation has led me to believe Canadians are generally allowed to be armed in Alaska if they want. Really it seems like a wise idea to me. But I will contact the relevant agencies directly and get it in writing that it's allowed. I wouldn't try hunting in Alaska anyway, licenses are probably expensive for foreigners. I know of a few places in BC where you can get more deer than you can eat if you wanted.

Are you allowed to hunt in NZ? From what I've seen NZ is a lot like BC. Looks beautiful and probably lots of good hunting and fishing. Hope I make it there at some point
Yes you can hunt year round in NZ but it's MUCH harder than in the USA as a general rule & Canada as the deer are much better educated about hunters at least on free hunting areas.
I wouldnt bank on deer as a food source living on a boat here but fish is possible.
Its no more beautiful than the PNW but there is nothing in the forest that regards you as food, these days anyway.
Yes its like BC in parts with different flora & fauna.
Fishing, well close to the populated centres it's not easy as in the rest of the world but remote areas are still pretty good relatively speaking.
There are no remote areas to modern fishing methods/equipment but they are less visited by the small outboard fishos
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:41   #41

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Yeah Covid has derailed a lot of plans

Have you got a bilge-keel boat? That's pretty handy.

Yeah PNG seems pretty interesting. I heard there are something like over 400 tribal languages spoken there and yeah, it looks pretty primitive from what I've seen. I kind of like that, though. Probably overpopulated, though.

So the plan is to go around Australia and then?
Gemini 105MC, Sailing Catamaran, I can park it on a sandy beach with the tide out,

Sell the boat and then do OZ inland by 36 foot RV, 1989 Foretravel Grandvilla,
Both are made in the USA, I imported both,

Im Retired so Time is Irrelevant,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69264_10201003617237521_950483400_n.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	228226  
Attached Images

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:15   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’ve does some flying in the NWT and Alaska, not too long ago a firearm was required to be carried along with a whole list of items like mosquito protection and x number of calories of food per person etc.
As of I guess 20 years ago when I last flew up there it was no longer required by Canadian officials, but sort of encouraged. I carried a Mossburg 12ga with a folding stock as it fit under the back seat and it was a high capacity gun, carried way too many rounds for legal hunting in the US, but the Canadians were fine with it, there is a tax you have to pay and paperwork of course, don’t just cross into Canada and not declare it.
However it’s only long guns, apparently do not under any circumstance have a pistol for any reason.
For some strange reason I don’t believe pepper (bear spray) is allowed
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:51   #43
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Given the small size of my sloop and mountain of expensive things I have to buy to refit it and uncertainty of power consumption, is it acceptable to cruise with just a freezer? I mean, I'll be buying a fridge/ freezer as in: either or, but I like to eat lots of meat and will be going into lots of remote places without a lot of fresh meat options en route . If I store a month's worth of food in a fridge, I might get through two weeks before whatever is left goes off. If I get a month's worth of food vacuum packed and frozen it should be fine to just let whatever I'm going to eat that day thaw out on the galley drying rack, no?
Of course you can cruise with just a freezer. People still do it without that or a refrigerator.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:50   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I carried a Mossburg 12ga with a folding stock as it fit under the back seat and it was a high capacity gun, carried way too many rounds for legal hunting in the US, but the Canadians were fine with it
In the USA there is a strict magazine size limit for migratory waterfowl hunting (ducks, geese) nationwide that limits total capacity to 3 rounds including the round in the chamber. Mossburg 12 gauge pumps and nearly all other shotguns with larger magazines will accept a "plug" that reduces effective magazine capacity for compliance. The gun must be disassembled to install or remove the plug.

Generally, there is no limit on magazine size for other kinds of hunting, see for example this link. Some jurisdictions consider shotguns with unusually large magazines to be "assault weapons" which complicates ownership and transfer.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:19   #45

This is a sound approach. You can also make ice for drinks and keep an ice box instead of a fridge for when you get ice or for slowly defrosting your meat. If you retro fit an ice box or buy a self contained unit, some have both options - you can run it as a freezer or as a fridge. I plan do do thin in my ice box on my Pearson 35.
Valkyrie-3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer