Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2016, 08:16   #76

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Freeze dried food

I just got back to my boat after being away for nearly eight months. Our dried-food supply, which I dried and sealed over two years ago, is still as good as the day it was packaged.
Dry your own. It's cheap, it's easy, and the quality of food is entirely up to you. Best of all, there's no weird preservatives or other additives. Just pure, simple food.
Old 22-04-2016, 08:48   #77

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We're fans of drying our own food, when its cheaper. Shallots are cheaper to buy processed as are red peppers and mushrooms. Onions work pretty well when we dry our own. Potatoes require a bit of processing to keep from browning, but work well when they are abundant. But, unless we are going into the wilds, buying fresh is a better deal for the rest. Plus, dried celery just does not come back very well.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:01   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyLunatic View Post
I remember 'Astronaut Ice Cream" as a kid in the late 60's, early 70's. It was sweet, and pure novelty. I only ate it once (expensive) and curiosity was abated. ...and of course it was the first thing I was asked to freeze dry after getting my machine. *sigh*...
I used to get Strawberry freeze dried ice cream as a kid when we would go camping. It was, shall we say, interesting.

We just got a package from REI and they sent us some freeze dry biscuits by mistake. Going to have to try that someday.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:19   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I just got back to my boat after being away for nearly eight months. Our dried-food supply, which I dried and sealed over two years ago, is still as good as the day it was packaged.
Dry your own. It's cheap, it's easy, and the quality of food is entirely up to you. Best of all, there's no weird preservatives or other additives. Just pure, simple food.
So mike how does it feel to finally get home
Old 22-04-2016, 10:12   #80

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
So mike how does it feel to finally get home
It's good NH, but I do miss living out of a tent and travelling via motorcycle. Ah well ... We launch on Sunday and will get the stick up by mid-May. Will be nice to have a home with a solid roof/deck over us for a change.
Old 22-04-2016, 12:40   #81

Boat: one off highlander 14 (fisher)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Are right guys (and gals) time to fess up. Does Freeze dried food give you gas? When on extended camping trips as a kid, we lived off the stuff, but man were the tents stinky! Have they changed their formulation maybe? Or was it just us?

Depends on the meal! but yeah, it can.
DinghyHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food