Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2014, 09:47   #151

Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
I don't know exactly how it was done but the chemical weapons recently removed from Syria were treated aboard a ship and disposed of at sea. One report I read was they they were diluted with sea water and dispersed but I'm neither a chemist or knowledgeable about chemical weapons.
I knew the chemicals were being treated at sea but I googled for the rest of the story. Plenty of links but I just clicked on http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-25810934.

It does not appear that the chemicals were weapons in that there were shells or bombs brought aboard, cracked up and treated but instead the chemicals in bulk. At least that is my interpretation of what was said.

The chemicals were treated on board and the treated wasted was kept on board to be further treated on land. No chemicals were dumped over board.

This is much different than dumping of chemical weapons into the ocean that had been done along time ago.

Johnson Island was used to build plant to handle chemical weapons. Once the weapons where destroyed, so was the plant. I read that some of the chemical weapons treated at Johnson were from the Solomon Islands which was a surprise. I guess the weapons were stock piled in the Solomons in case the Japanese used them in WWII. I would like to know how those weapons were stored.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 10:31   #152

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Not sure how accurate...but I have heard from old timers off unbelievable stuff dumped off New jersey a long time ago...probably not since the 80's....

A drop in the ocean: the sea-dumping of chemical weapons in Okinawa | The Japan Times
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 11:25   #153

Boat: Still Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
That OK, they have discovered that mother nature has once again come to the rescue...

Marine microbes digest plastic : Nature News

So, please let nature do as it does. From my perspective, and biologically, its not any different than shitting in a bucket and feeding it to your plants.

Next you know they will try and say "put more plastic in the ocean - there are staving microbes that must be fed!"
This one's actually funny because I just read an article the other day discussing the decommissioned off-shore oil rigs. There has been an initiative for a while to remove them so that they don't just sit out there polluting the ocean as they decompose. So it basically went like this.

1) Local politician pushes for green initiative that forces companies to contribute to a fund that pays a third party to begin removing the decommissioned rigs.

2) Although industry opposes it, the legislation receives broad support from the voters because is sounds like the right thing to do.

3) After it passes, environmental movement starts to block the removal of rigs because it is discovered that the rigs have replaced now dead coral reefs as a suitable habitat for aquatic life.

4) The movement is now pushing for dismantling the rigs and piling the debris into the creation of an artificial reef.

If memory serves, the reefs had died as a result of unusually warm water temps or something. A once thriving and beautiful reef had become barren and dead, except for where there were decommissioned oil rigs. Those areas were thriving.

IMO, garbage is not a good thing. But these types of circumstances are fairly common.
Certeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 11:46   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Not sure how accurate...but I have heard from old timers off unbelievable stuff dumped off New jersey a long time ago...probably not since the 80's....

A drop in the ocean: the sea-dumping of chemical weapons in Okinawa | The Japan Times
Yep, up until the last few decades quite a bit of chemical and conventional munitions where dumped at sea and there are still missing Nukes off of Savannah GA, Johnson Island, Goldsboro NC, and a few places I can't remember.

I can't remember if the US dumped Nuke reactors at sea by the Russians certainly did.

It is interesting to see how many places in US coastal waters are not safe to anchor because of unexploded munitions.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 11:55   #155

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certeza View Post
IMO, garbage is not a good thing. But these types of circumstances are fairly common.
While I don't know the exact composition of all that may be left behind on an oil rig, I don't think the iron part left in the water is really pollution or garbage.

They purposefully sink ships and airplanes no longer useful - talk about tossing a large tin can or two!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 13:10   #156

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I see a lot of stuff blown off boats accidentally. It happens to everyone once in a while. Probably where a lot of shoes come from.

We see lots of corks, bottle caps, etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 13:49   #157

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

"....and there are still missing Nukes off of Savannah GA," I love how this is just a side note.....:-)
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 14:47   #158
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"but I have heard from old timers off unbelievable stuff dumped off New jersey a long time ago...probably not since the 80's...."
Picture a huge steel barge with ginormous bomb bay doors in the bottom.

Yes, that's how metropolitan NY dumped trash at sea for many years. And why the Great Kills Landfill became necessary, and filled up, when sea dumping was ended.

But if you've ever seen Flushing Meadows aka the "World's Fair Grounds" that was all a great big ash heap for incinerated garbage for many years too. The scorched heaps in The Great Gatsby weren't just imaginary.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 18:04   #159
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
thousands of dildos, army men and high heeled shoes with the "locals".
We have a winner for the "first time phrase Award" on Cruisers Forum!
I'm sure there is a B Movie story line script in there!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 18:10   #160
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Scratching my head, but didn't he steal that line from the Director's Cut of The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote