Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2019, 18:06   #61

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Re: Are watermakers losing their relevance?

Here's my thoughts on the WM subject. A long hot shower makes other problems look small.
Old 11-01-2019, 18:50   #62

Boat: Roberts 42' Spray Pilot House Ketch (Steely)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Navy shower = get wet, shut off the water, soap up, rinse off..... dry off.... all done.
As a retired diesel boat submariner (Oberon Class) we couldn't afford to waste Fresh Water, so we didn't even get wet, soap up, rinse off, dry off etc. Bird Baths were the go, ie; clean your teeth, maybe splash a handfull of water under your armpits and crutch. 8 weeks dived without a shower, no problems, everyone smelt the same and we were all in the same boat...so to speak!! When we finally got ashore and we stayed in Motels, we would use their hot water up in no time! It would take 2 weeks of showering every day to get the diesel out of your skin!
For me, my Spectra380C WM is a compulsory part of kit!
Bundyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 19:58   #63

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom45 View Post
No, my opinion.
We have been cruising for a little over four years in the Pacific with water makers.
Wouldn't leave home without one. I've witnessed many people struggle for water.
One might have enough for passage, but when they get to anchorage, now the search begins to find safe water, lug jerry cans for miles sometimes. Don't count on collecting rain either.
Depending on where and when you are, you can count on rain collection in many cases far exceeding the amount of water you need.

I have done several passages > 4000 miles and a few times left with less than 10 gallons arriving with full tanks (12 gallons in my case)

Quote:

We have 500 gal water capacity but don't need it, I will be downsizing tanks to less than half that someday to gain space.
I like my fresh water shower.....

Cheers.

I'm working on a shower filter now. So it's possible to take a shower using half a gallon that lasts as long as 30 gallons.

In winter if you want to heat the water it is already warm after passing the filter.

Water maker sounds like a nice idea, but like a wind generator it questionable if it is worthwhile in most cases considering the solar alternatives.

In most places with insufficient rainfall you can count on solar power. Using a solar still which is much more simple and reliable than watermaker I can make more than a gallon a day.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 20:19   #64
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

You don't NEED a watermaker,......but then again,......you don't NEED a boat.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 20:20   #65
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundyon View Post
As a retired diesel boat submariner (Oberon Class) we couldn't afford to waste Fresh Water, so we didn't even get wet, soap up, rinse off, dry off etc. Bird Baths were the go, ie; clean your teeth, maybe splash a handfull of water under your armpits and crutch. 8 weeks dived without a shower, no problems, everyone smelt the same and we were all in the same boat...so to speak!! When we finally got ashore and we stayed in Motels, we would use their hot water up in no time! It would take 2 weeks of showering every day to get the diesel out of your skin!

Ah a 380C, and oldie but a goodie. If you ever need any help with it, don't hesitate to ask
Old 11-01-2019, 20:39   #66
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshabby View Post
Timely topic, as we’re currently driving up I-95 having just left J.T.’s shop with our new Spectra. Installation begins this weekend (yes, I’ve been banking swear words, blood and sweat in preparation).

It’s like most other ship’s systems. We could all be using just the stars to navigate by, pieces of floating wood to calculate boat speed, and killing the occasional whale (“the other white meat”) for oil lamps, but why? Technology- in reasonable doses - makes like more enjoyable.will we recoup the cost when we sell the boat? Seriously doubt it, but the gap will be made smaller in “convenience units.” My inner Bligh will be able to chill when I watch a guest running the tap like they’re in their house. All of that extra angst can be saved for the inevitable “Hey, I flushed a stuffed animal down the toilet and now it doesn’t seem to work”...

It was a real pleasure meeting you today at the shop. If there is anything I can do to help during and after your installation, don't ever hesitate to call, E-mail, PM me here, or just start a thread on CF of what you are doing and what you are running into.

Best Regards
J.T. Halden
aka Tellie
Old 11-01-2019, 20:51   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Depending on where and when you are, you can count on rain collection in many cases far exceeding the amount of water you need.

I have done several passages > 4000 miles and a few times left with less than 10 gallons arriving with full tanks (12 gallons in my case)

I'm working on a shower filter now. So it's possible to take a shower using half a gallon that lasts as long as 30 gallons.

In winter if you want to heat the water it is already warm after passing the filter.

Water maker sounds like a nice idea, but like a wind generator it questionable if it is worthwhile in most cases considering the solar alternatives.

In most places with insufficient rainfall you can count on solar power. Using a solar still which is much more simple and reliable than watermaker I can make more than a gallon a day.
A gallon a day is barely enough to keep 2 people healthy. We can easily make 15+ gallons a day, all run from our solar panels.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 21:46   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post

I would like to see what you look like after a passage from San Francisco to Honolulu (21 days ) no rain but plenty of sun to charge my batteries run my refer and run my watermaker .
I like to be able to do more than just survive water wise. I left with full tanks and I arrived the same . Using as much as 5 gallons a day average.
Old 11-01-2019, 21:49   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Tellie since your on here . A question is there a generic off the shelf membrane now for my old 35's or am I still stuck with the 400 proprietary ?
Old 12-01-2019, 03:30   #70

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
After experiencing a significant water leak on my own boat while on a short passage, it's good to hear there are friendly people out there
Long ago on my previous boat, when water makers were uncommon, I had friendly cruisers with water makers give me water.

Now on a different boat, with a water maker, its common for use to give water to the locals...remote islands during dry season face similar challenges to cruisers.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:10   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
All depends on where you cruise. We wouldn't be without one in the places we cruise.

This.

Many boats have enough tankage for long passages, even ocean crossings. We have 1000 liters and with 5 on board, we managed over a month without a fill other than one partial dinghy-ferried jerry can run.

But if you sail in dry places with no decent access to fresh water -- Carib, Med -- or places with bad quality water -- a watermaker is a lifesaver.

Cruising Northern Europe a watermaker is absolutely not needed -- pure fresh water available everywhere; even in the middle of the North Sea, you're never more than a few days from a good fill. Med or Caribbean, or Mexico or Central America -- I wouldn't be without it.

Without a watermaker, you do have to be careful not to have an accident and lose your water. I once accidentally opened the tap in the galley sink with a loop of the mainsheet which went down the companionway, and dumped my whole tank before I realized what was going on. Another time, on a charter in the Aegean, someone left a transom shower slightly running, with the same result, requiring a significant diversion. Since then I carry a jerry can of reserve water.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:03   #72
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Tellie since your on here . A question is there a generic off the shelf membrane now for my old 35's or am I still stuck with the 400 proprietary ?

Unfortunately, I do not know of a generic one for the 35. But let me know what you need and what costs you come up with and I'll see if I can't at the least get you a better price.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:41   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundyon View Post
Yea you had a water maker on board the sub but the priority was for the batteries.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:52   #74

Most of the survival food, except for the MRE, require water. See another reason for a supply fresh water.

The WM can successfully remove the salt and most of the remaining 'bad' things but, to be more pure, one needs to install an ultraviolet light feature prior to the storage tank. MORE money and MORE space.
For me, I'll chance it.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:30   #75

I think the question should have been, If you’ve had a water maker before would you have one again? I would not be without one and the bigger the better. Run it when your tanks are down a third that way if you have a failure you can ration the othe two thirds. But being able to take long showers do laundry and wash the salt off the deck is priceless. We are going AC at 120 L/h

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker