Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2019, 15:22   #211

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Re: Are watermakers losing their relevance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
"there certainly is no economic advantage to"... owning a boat, but here we are.
Old 19-01-2019, 15:46   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post

We do it at the same time as we get fuel.
No need to pay for a berth or do extra miles.
If you're spending long periods at anchor you shouldn't be using much fuel. You still use water though.

As I said, if your cruising consists largely of going from marina to marina, and that's a likely scenario with a motorboat, then a watermaker is of little value.

For us, the last time we were in a marina was sometime in 2017, and that was because I needed to visit my dying father, not because we needed fuel or water.

I know your boat can carry a lot of water, but more than a year's worth?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 18:22   #213

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
If you're spending long periods at anchor you shouldn't be using much fuel. You still use water though.

On average about 50nm/week which equates to about 1/3rd of our fuel every 6 months.

Quote:
As I said, if your cruising consists largely of going from marina to marina, and that's a likely scenario with a motorboat, then a watermaker is of little value

For us, the last time we were in a marina was sometime in 2017, and that was because I needed to visit my dying father, not because we needed fuel or water
2.5 years ago was the last time we were on a berth

Quote:
I know your boat can carry a lot of water, but more than a year's worth?
No, but by supplementing with rain and 200 litre dinghy bladder, we have comfortably done 6 months between fills which is when we go in and put that 1/3rd tank of diesel back in.

We usually time it to go in on high tide around 4am with no wind and tie up.
Take our time filling the water and then first up for fuel and back out by 9am.

Saying that, I can see a watermaker in our future and if a large output water maker popped up at the right price I'd be on it.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 18:45   #214

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
^^ This...we learned the first time we went cruising that the limiting factor for spending time in remote areas is water. In many developing/remote areas there are no handy docks to pull up next to and conveniently take on water...so you jerry jug it...man that suxs. Also the available water may be of questionable quality. A water maker solves all of the above problems.

Its also very convenient when you have non-boating guests aboard who dont understand the need, or how, to conserve water. Rather than becoming the evil water Nazi...you can just press the majic button again.

For seasons we have spent months in the San Blas islands during dry season (no rain = no catchment), we shower every day, fresh water rinse snorkel/fishing gear, etc...with no need to take on water...ever.

If youve got massive tankage (most cats dont due to weight) then you can spread out your refills, but you still have the above issues of convenience and water quality.

Couldn’t agree more, and the larger the watermaker, the more freedom you have.
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 16:56   #215

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

2 1/2 years of full time cruising, 25,000nm almost 1/2 circumnavigation. we have a spectra 8 gph and we've never regretted the expense. water, when available in many places is not cheap.

we've put about 12,000 gallons through our watermaker and it has required almost no maintenance. we would not cruise long term without one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 08:06   #216

Boat: 2008 Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeew View Post
In my home waters I don’t need a Watermaker. For long trips I put aboard rainman portable Watermaker. No installation costs. Less maintenance and it doesn’t take up room when I don’t need it. Fits in my aft lichee so it doesn’t take much luggingbaround. Works for me.
I saw Rainman at the Seattle Boat Show yesterday and am curious to hear about its reliability and ease of use. Looks like a good option if it works as claimed. Any other users??
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 18:20   #217
Marine Service Provider

Boat: TBD: Graphene reinforced amines, ideally around 14 metres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
And in other parts of the world high quality potable water is free.
Depending on how adventurous you are, the odds of safe water go down.

Sailing across the pacific, a lot of atolls have a lack of potable water. Solomons, New Guinea, Senegal, etc., you are taking chances.

Cruising round the world it seems clear the advantages of having your own watermaker.
Aargau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:56   #218

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 36

Hi, Micke here, new member to the forum. We been holiday and weekend cruising in the Baltic sea for the last 10 years. I would say that there is no problem to get clean water at any port most places for free other at a moderate cost). But i bought a water maker any way (not installed yet). The reason for that is that we are planning to cruise full time in some years and i always like to get to know my gear before i actually need it (going to be installed this year). If you are going to strange places, you dont know their water supply system it would creep me out to fill the tanks with water i dont know anything about.

I did get a Ecosistems 25S (energy efficient 0.5 amp per liter) that produces around 25 liters/h. Our consumption is about 20-25 liters a day for shower drinking and dish washing.

--------------------------------------------------------
https://www.leftthedock.com
mickejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:47   #219

Boat: PDQ 41

I am thinking of adding a water maker to my Nordhavn N 43 in preparation for a circumnavigation. Would it make any sense to have two smaller ones rather than a single unit for redundancy?
Best,
Maldwin
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:54   #220

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldwin View Post
I am thinking of adding a water maker to my Nordhavn N 43 in preparation for a circumnavigation. Would it make any sense to have two smaller ones rather than a single unit for redundancy?
Best,
Maldwin
Watermakers in general are very reliable. I'd go one big one.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:15   #221
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Most are very simple systems, a dual membrane one you should be able to disconnect one membrane if one goes bad, but I would carry a spare boost pump and at least a HP pump rebuild kit.

If it’s a Spectra, call Tellie, and get whatever he recommends, I have no experience with them, they seem to be a little bit more complex.

Two is nice, but why two smaller ones? Why not two of the bigger sizes?
I don’t think the money savings is as much as you might think.

The question I guess is do you alternate running one then the other, or pickle one and change over every 6 months or so?
Or run both, if AC, I think you likely have enough generator to run both easily.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:30   #222

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Watermakers: In my opinion, dont go on a cruise without one. Doesn't have to be a high capacity water maker, just means you have to run it longer. I still recommend a 12vt machine, so you dont have to run the generator, assuming you have one, to make water. If possible a system that will notify you quickly if the water quality goes to hell, so you dont pollute your water tank. If you are cruising only 4 or 5 hours a day, a nice 150 gallon water maker will fill the bill. That is assuming your batteries will support it that long or you are running running the generator and battery charger or 12vt from your engine to keep the batteries charged. Yea yea, include solar panels and wind turbines too.
I see the value of a water maker even if you do not use it regularly or even not at all
It is like your your life saving equipment. Better to have it and not use it or need it and not have it.
Again, just my opinion. Your boat, your money, do as you wish. I have my water maker and I have not found a need to use it, yet
Old 07-03-2019, 14:40   #223

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Watermakers: In my opinion, dont go on a cruise without one. Doesn't have to be a high capacity water maker, just means you have to run it longer. I still recommend a 12vt machine, so you dont have to run the generator, assuming you have one, to make water. If possible a system that will notify you quickly if the water quality goes to hell, so you dont pollute your water tank. If you are cruising only 4 or 5 hours a day, a nice 150 gallon water maker will fill the bill. That is assuming your batteries will support it that long or you are running running the generator and battery charger or 12vt from your engine to keep the batteries charged. Yea yea, include solar panels and wind turbines too.
I see the value of a water maker even if you do not use it regularly or even not at all
It is like your your life saving equipment. Better to have it and not use it or need it and not have it.
Again, just my opinion. Your boat, your money, do as you wish. I have my water maker and I have not found a need to use it, yet
Except that water makers do not like to sit unused...so treating it like emergency gear is likely to not work out well.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 02:02   #224

Boat: Bali 4.0

We've only been at this a few months... and its already clear that some things we added to the boat we could have done without. The Watermaker is not one of them!

Even here in The Bahamas very few places even offer potable water (and those who do price it accordingly), and setting your cruising route based upon where you can fill up on water is not only a buzz kill but could turn out really poorly.

I can't tell you the number of times we've pulled into fuel docks, stores etc here to find out they are out of whatever supply it is. Thats all well and good if your just waiting on some eggs... but if your water tank is empty- your sunk.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 02:14   #225

Dangerz, how many gallons of water per month do you use, with and without the water maker?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker