Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2009, 06:50   #31

Boat: islandpacket
The new canned bacon I saw was pre cook and wrapped then sealed in the can. Just like the plastic wrapped pre cooked'

I just tried some new spam " Golden grail" spamalot special. I need to find a case of that, great stuff. I just check spam on line they have like 12 different types, who knew. I have to get a mixed case!
Old 15-03-2009, 07:42   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I just check spam on line they have like 12 different types, who knew.
Show up in south central Minnesota in Austin, MN at the Hormel plant for Spam days and find out all the things you never new about spam.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 08:15   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
okay, I wasn't going to do this, but...

...you people have forced me to break out my spam story.

So there I was, ten years or so ago, helping a buddy who happens to be a Brit take offshore delivery on a new Tayana 48 and sail it from San Francisco to Mexico. We were no more than 30 miles beyond the Golden Gate when I asked about lunch. The proud new boat owner responded that lunch would be spam and crackers. Yes. Before I could ask whether there were other options, he added that this was pretty much going to be the standard lunch until we reached Mexico. Spam and crackers. Indeed, these were the only lunchables we had onboard.

I'm no mutineer, generally speaking, so I decided to at least test the fare before reprogramming the waypoints. To my eternal delight, I discovered the secret that spam is actually quite tasty once a vessel is no longer within sight of land. What I didn't realize until the end of the voyage, at which point I had purchased the much-cursed product and sampled it aboard my vessel while tied up at the dock, is that my newly acquired taste for spam was strictly an offshore phenomenon.

Intrigued, I am, to discovered the many new flavors of spam--will be trying the new hickory smoked the next time the beast leaves harbor.
Old 15-03-2009, 08:20   #34

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
...you people have forced me to break out my spam story.

I'm no mutineer, generally speaking, so I decided to at least test the fare before reprogramming the waypoints. To my eternal delight, I discovered the secret that spam is actually quite tasty once a vessel is no longer within sight of land. What I didn't realize until the end of the voyage, at which point I had purchased the much-cursed product and sampled it aboard my vessel while tied up at the dock, is that my newly acquired taste for spam was strictly an offshore phenomenon.

Intrigued, I am, to discovered the many new flavors of spam--will be trying the new hickory smoked the next time the beast leaves harbor.
If Spam tastes that good when sailing offshore, it must be totally awesome when floating in a liferaft.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 11:17   #35

Boat: Privilege 37
If you have a spam sanwich, (i.e. between 2 pieces of white buttered bread) and then fry it a nice golden colour, add a fried egg and a couple of tomatoes - this is definitely much nicer than just a plain spam sandwich.
Old 28-03-2009, 23:33   #36

Boat: Skookum 53'
Years ago we used the canned bacon and it was quite salty and greasy. I haven't tried it recently.
If pigs are so smart how come they taste so good? Maybe we could keep a live pig on board and carve off what we want when we are hungry.
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 15:26   #37

Boat: 27' Norsea
Send a message via Yahoo to jwidahonurse
I realize this thread has gone on awhile..but in answer to the bacon...we found some called Bore's Head..in a box with a long shelf life and it is really good.
jwidahonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 13:16   #38

Boat: 1987 Watkins 25 Wu-Hsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
When I was a boy scout, about 45 years ago, we had canned bacon, and it tasted just like regular bacon. The package seems greasy, but that's because it's not refrigerated. Does anyone know where to buy it in the states, along with canned butter? Thanks for any sources.
Red Feather canned butter 120z. / can from NZ is very good. We order ours as well as canned cheese and canned meats from (internet-grocer.com).

50 years ago Plumrose Corp. (Denmark) sold raw canned bacon. I have made an exhaustive internet and phone search for that kind of product and it does not exist anymore anywhere by anybody. We have an Engel MT35 portable freezer on our 25' sailboat. We pre-wrap 4 slices of Plumrose uncooked bacon per meal for 2 people and store months worth in the freezer. We have it with pancakes or crepes on Sundays and as BLT when we can find fresh lettuce and tomatoes. Plumrose bacon does not render away like cheaper bacon does, its worth the price at $5/lb.

And yes, even the 40+' boat crews get jealous when we show up to cook them Sunday breakfast with real, fresh bacon.

Also, if you're having a 'spam sandwich' who needs butter!
cosmosmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 13:47   #39

Boat: islandpacket
google Yoders canned bacon. Its the pre cooked type and then canned. Not raw greasey type.
Old 10-06-2009, 14:01   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
To my knowledge, there are 3 brands of canned bacon:
Tulip (Plumrose, DAK/Danepak and Danola),
Celebrity
Yoders

Availability may be very spotty.

For canned bacon users/lovers, like I,
Goto ➥ http://www.canned-bacon.com/

Then there’s “fully cooked” (microwave bacon) which will do in a real pinch.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 14:49   #41
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Canned bacon needs to be rinsed.

Dry cured bacon or ham will keep without refrigeration, for a while at least, longer in dry climates.

This stuff just scares me but... who knows, them Swedes do all sorts of kooky stuff really well...
ThinkGeek :: Squeez Bacon®

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote