Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2011, 19:12   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Any coffee drinkers?

french press and cowboy coffee are crunchy and bitter-yukkk..i use a cone filter--melitta, and make coffee as strong as i like and as fast as i need to make it with these,and without the bitterness and crunch of grounds in my cup.. best coffee i ever had with less propane usage.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 19:12   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Cowboy coffee. Nothing wrong with that. A piece of eggshell will help the grounds sink in the pot.
I'm curious ... how's that work? The eggshell.

I use a French Press. Nissan (Thermos) makes a stainless steel one (no glass on my boat thank you) that is insulated so its stays hot longer.

Amazon.com: Thermos Nissan 34-Ounce Vacuum Insulated Stainless-Steel Gourmet Coffee Press: Home & Garden
Old 13-04-2011, 19:20   #18

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I use a Black and Decker Brew & Go, one mug at a time. Has it's own ultra fine screen filter so doesn't need filters. Runs off the inverter.
Old 13-04-2011, 19:26   #19

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran

I use the Nissan French Press as well. The spout is partially broken during a fall on a rough passage. Still makes great coffee and is simple to use and clean. Since it is stainless I use seawater to rinse it and just a little fresh to get rid of the salt. Except for the spout, it stilllooks great.

Love my coffee at dawn in the Caribbean, my second favourite time of day next to Happy Hour.
Old 13-04-2011, 19:28   #20

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

That's a cool rig, though I like to get my grounds out early. They change the flavor after 4 minutes. French press should not have any noticeable "grounds" maybe some sediment, but nothing that has mouthfeel.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 19:35   #21

Boat: islandpacket

hot water and instant coffee
Old 13-04-2011, 19:35   #22

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingaway221 View Post
Electricity is the key mate.... we need a great expresso machine that runs on about 1 amp per cup please.......also because those little cuppie things are so expensive... it should make a fantastic cup of coffee form coal... or diesel....... or salt water.... r cheap central american coffee beans!
Boil water with propane/kero/alcohol/diesel and use one of these: http://www.handpresso.com
Haven't used one, just saw it in a camping store and thought it was a neat idea, but a bit pricey.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 19:39   #23

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Cold?
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 19:41   #24

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post

Melikes my espresso!
I'm with you,man!These SS pots come in many sizes,by the way.
I made coffee for 30 years aboard by dumping grounds into stainless kettle (boiled)stirring,resting,then pouring into a thermos through a conescreen,but this is better-I'm converted...and get a little handgrinder too.
Only complaint is that it can be topheavy on a gimballed stove...but there's a fix(for everything,eh!)
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 19:43   #25

For me, a well insulated french press is the best, given that I don't want to use much energy and I like my coffee hot
foamcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 20:17   #26

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

French press, hand ground Peet's French Roast. Simple, low energy. As strong as we like. Improved coffee production is nowhere to be found on our endless list of boat enhancements.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 20:51   #27

Boat: Silverton 42

Nothing (nothing!) beats an old fashioned percolator. Easy to use and clean and it really brings the best out of the beans..... We use a Coleman stove in the cockpit to avoid running the Benny in the early morning. Ahhhhhhhhhhh.
Cheers,
Bill
Bill Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 21:01   #28

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

We use a French press vacuum insulated pot made by Nissan in stainless. Very happy and it keeps the contents warm. Glass would insulate better but stainless is more durable, a big consideration underway. French press is the way to go on a boat, IMHO. One tip with the stainless pot is to heat some extra water and use it to pre-heat the pot before you steep the coffee.

What I'd like to see is a grinder that works well by hand. French press coffee needs a uniform course grind and the only way to get that is with a burr grinder (chopper types ruin the grind by heating and smashing the beans with impact, making lots of dust). We use a Capresso 560 burr grinder with excellent results, but it runs on AC so does require an inverter.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 21:02   #29

Boat: Pearson 281

British made Spong wall hung manual coffee grinder... limited adjustment.
I take my coffee black
Stainless stove-top espresso maker that works really well under way and doesn't consume too much fuel... best for underway
Filter cones for when I'm not in the mood for big deal coffee ritual and it's calm enough.
My favorite when I have the fuel and it's not too rough is my stainless percolater. Makes the best coffee and is a great match for the grinder which works best anyway opened all the way to coarse. In port the best bet.
Percolaters have fallen out of favor but the trick is the grind.
Haven't used the press for awhile...would be great underway I think, no need to keep paper filters around...
Z... big mistake often made is folks let the water get too hot and tend to leave the water in too long... not a fan myself of those large presses where the coffe is meant to just sit on the "lees"... asking for bitternesss. Also have to be careful when transfering the coffee to a thermos.

My grandfather was a taster knew coffee inside and out... I got hooked early!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 21:24   #30

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Cowboy coffee. Nothing wrong with that. A piece of eggshell will help the grounds sink in the pot.
Try a dash of salt in boiled coffee, it smoothes the acid level a bit.Michael
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote