Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 21:35   #31

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
We sail Exit Only with the companion way doors open in all weather unless there is driving rain coming up the stern. In eleven years, I have sailed with the companion way doors closed a total of about ten times. If I didn't have a good bimini with Eising glass, I am sure the bimini would have been closed hundreds of times.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 22:17   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i donot like sailing with a closed up boat. i make sure there is ventilation and fresh air . isnt comfy without those. with just 2 of us on board, we leave the hatch boards out of the companionway--if anything is needed we have to be able to get the other in a hurry. cant hear inside with the hatch boards in.
i didnt realize a bimini could be closed--all the biminis i have seen were without walls-enclosures have sides and walls, but biminis dont--is the beauty of the things--openness without sunburn, and a place to stash solar panels!
we had a bimini with solar panels making up the cover.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 23:16   #33

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Variables... how high is the bridgedeck/forward cockpit sill, how big is the cockpit and how well does it drain, is the aft end of the cockpit closed, center vs. aft cockpit, centerline vs. off-center companionway. For moderately bad stuff, a bungee / shock cord might be passable for holding a hatch board down; for short-term bad stuff not far from shore the whole crew might just stay outside and help keep the boat flat.
Old 02-10-2010, 13:59   #34

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Variables... how high is the bridgedeck/forward cockpit sill, how big is the cockpit and how well does it drain, is the aft end of the cockpit closed, center vs. aft cockpit, centerline vs. off-center companionway. For moderately bad stuff, a bungee / shock cord might be passable for holding a hatch board down; for short-term bad stuff not far from shore the whole crew might just stay outside and help keep the boat flat.
Positivo, and LLoyds, unlike the CE, did stipulate such things like bridgedecks and cockpit sills. What a pity today's boats are not built to their standards anymore.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 18:41   #35
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Positivo, and LLoyds, unlike the CE, did stipulate such things like bridgedecks and cockpit sills. What a pity today's boats are not built to their standards anymore.
Hey, Barnakiel have a read through RCD standards
EN ISO 11812:2001
EN ISO 12216:2002

I think youll fid they address sill height quite adaquately ( amongst other things)

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 18:52   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Thats even more of a PITA and not easy to hop over as thers no place to land on except the first step going down, to easy to fall

Dave
Shoot... we're back to boat size...again...
But even in the 37ftr thats never been a problem... a hand each side of the companionway and over you go... just don't let go till your feet land solid...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient.. and politicians NEVER bite the hand that feeds.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 19:26   #37
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Shoot... we're back to boat size...again...
But even in the 37ftr thats never been a problem... a hand each side of the companionway and over you go... just don't let go till your feet land solid...
nope, Imm 6'5". all that happens in that case is I ram the spray hood. ( as I cant stand up anyway under most sprayhoods. Also in bad weather you effectively havent much to stabilise yourself doing that jump, I have seen people come to serious grief trying it, ie falling staight down the companionway.

Im actually with Beth and Evans, a door ( a proper one) is a much better idea.
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 21:45   #38

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Another idea on when it's good to slide the companionway shut...
before you have to reef so you don't fall down into what many years ago an instructor we had called the "black hole of death" while reefing!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:17   #39
CLOD

Boat: none
I only put the boards in if water is getting in the boat! To me handling and dealing with the boards, including stepping over the lower if that is left in, is WAY more dangerous and likely than the chance of the boat sinking from leaving the boards out.

On another related item; for something that generally is pretty well designed and thought out, doesn't it seem that sliding looses boards into a groove on a moving vessel is something designed in the stone age!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 16:08   #40

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Hey, Barnakiel have a read through RCD standards
EN ISO 11812:2001
EN ISO 12216:2002

I think youll fid they address sill height quite adaquately ( amongst other things)

Dave
Hey, Dave,

PLS show me where these standards are mentioned in the Directive as I have been reading and failed to find the connection.

THX
barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 16:37   #41
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
having only been pooped by a sea one time in all my years of sailing, i think i dont have tooo much to worry about-- when ye sail in pacific, if the seas are huge they are rollers. no biggie. btdt.
in the gulf there are confused and windblown seas from everywhere-- all at one time.... lol got pooped by an 8 1/2 ft sea-our freeboard was 3 1/2 ft.. doesnt happen often. yes the companionway was open. no --no water went into the bost from that source, the water went in via the drains from the lazarette doors on the tops of the lazaretes..LOL.... right into the boat. yes they were locked down. lol. water will get in when and where it wants to get into your boat.
if we had been sailing my formosa- there would have been no water come into the boat--the freeboard is more than 7 ft in stern. the sea would have slapped formosa's flank. yes, i still would get wetted by seawater--but isnt gonna freek me out--lol is part of sailing sometimes. if youre cruising and you are out in seas and they are building--and wind is building-- must assess the situation early and often. is difficult to speeak of what you would d o--but you dont KNOW what ye will do until the situation occurs..IF it occurs. we sailed thru weather that makes me cringe but wasnt a big deal in the water. when yer 100 mi out, is difficult to just pick a bay to hide in--- takes entire day to get there-- we just sailed.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote