Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2022, 23:25   #1

Using mast steps video, please.

Does anyone have a link to a video that shows someone actually climbing their mast using fixed mast steps?

Hopefully, from the deck to the mast head in one uninterrupted video.

I want to gauge the degree of difficulty of this technique. Not interested in other techniques and products (mast ladders, ATN, block & tackle, etc. etc.)

Just want to see a mast climbed using fixed mast steps.

After 45 mins of searching on the web I cannot find one, yet there are thousands videos using other techniques and products. Strange.

Thank you,
J
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 00:01   #2

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold
Re: Using mast steps video, please.

I had them on my old yacht. Easy to climb, but used a safety line connected to spinnaker sheet.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 02:07   #3

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I don't have a video but I did have mast steps on my Catalina 27, and I have climbed steps on many other boats when I used to work for a yacht broker. In my opinion mast steps are absolutely the easiest and safest way to get up a mast. I always wore a safety harness attached to a halyard and had someone on deck to keep up with me.

I went up plenty of masts for that broker and I never liked being "winched" up. I was young enough and agile enough back then that I did most of the work myself by climbing the mast as they kept up tension on the halyard but I always felt much safer with steps. And being able to stand on the usual two steps at the top while working is way better than sitting in a bosun's chair.

Old 30-05-2022, 03:07   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

The difficulty of mast steps will not be measurable with a video, since the greatest variable is the person climbing.
Watch a video of someone freesoloing a rock climb that the rest of us couldn't get up with a crane. Looks easy, because they're awesome.
If you're in decent shape, it will be dead easy to climb mast steps. Difficulty will increase with proportion to how far you've let your shape go.
Old 30-05-2022, 03:19   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Using mast steps video, please.

Climbed a 78ft mast using steps on a 65ft Laurent Giles using mast steps, apart from stopping for a breather at the 2nd spreader it was a doddle.. easiest way to ascend a mast, bar getting someone to winch you up in a bosuns chair.
Definitely quicker..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 04:19   #6

I believe I saw someone last night on YT (?Little Wing) on east coast of Australia climbing mast steps to get video pics of the sunset while his sailboat (?WS32?) appeared underway heading slowly toward anchorage.
winjamerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 04:29   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
The difficulty of mast steps will not be measurable with a video, since the greatest variable is the person climbing.
Watch a video of someone freesoloing a rock climb that the rest of us couldn't get up with a crane. Looks easy, because they're awesome.
If you're in decent shape, it will be dead easy to climb mast steps. Difficulty will increase with proportion to how far you've let your shape go.
Close to this variable will be the distance between the steps. I would think climbing a vertical ladder would be better to evaluate your level of difficulty instead of watching a video.
Old 30-05-2022, 04:33   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Using mast steps video, please.

Why bother with steps..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 04:42   #9

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

I have folding steps on both my main and mizen (Irwin 46’ ketch) I climb with a lineman’s belt.
It’s a process as each step needs to be unfolded ascending and then folded as you descend.
I have alternating steps but twins at each work station, spreader and masthead as I hate standing on one leg for extended periods.
Once in place I double wrap my belt lanyard and am able to comfortably lean back and be secure.
I purchased the lineman’s belt in the early 1980’s for security as I stood on helicopter skids shooting aerial / air to air photos. It has been a great tool since I started climbing masts 8 years ago.
Old 30-05-2022, 07:45   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

I have folding mast steps as others have mentioned. I installed them alternating at two foot intervals. I still climb my mast but, at age 75, but I stop and rest every five steps.

Two-foot spacing is too much.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 08:22   #11

Doesn't give you the whole mast, but if you forward to 2:55 there's about 10 seconds of actually using the steps:

PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 09:03   #12

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

I'm 74 years old and still climb my 65' mast to the top regularly using fixed mast steps to the lower shrouds and foldable ones tho the top. I use a Biron Toss riggers harness and safety belt. I'm clipped to the main halyard which is wrapped around a mast winch for security ONLY. I climb the mast, I'm NOT winched up. Yes, it's tiring but MUCH MUCH safer than all that other stuff.
Russ
Old 30-05-2022, 09:09   #13

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

We have mast steps and they are very easy to use. It's like climbing a ladder with the exception that you need to get around the baby stay. The reason for this is you start climbing on the front side, but then the stay gets in the way so you have to move around it, or over the backside of the mast (which is what
I normally do). Either way much easier than any other way to get up the mast!

(sorry no video thou)
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 09:13   #14

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

I had fixed mast steps installed at 18” intervals - 2ft intervals seem way too great. I regularly climb to my spreaders with dual safety clip on safety lines and a climbing harness. Any higher and I’d have a competent friend control the main halyard safety line around a winch. I just had my second hip replaced.
As long as you are not 35+ kg overweight and walk (or dance) regularly, should be no problem at all.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 11:56   #15

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

If you want to know if you can do it. Put a ladder, secured!! straight up and down and climb that.Mast steps will be a little bit different but not much
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, mast