Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 19:22   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Too Many Coast Guard Rescues?

Gee if I could not find my way between the red and green things out there in the harbor entrance I guess I would just have to stop and ask a cop huh ??? come on guys it's really not the CGs job to run your boat for ya !! if ya got out there you should be able to get back !! ya think ??
Old 12-04-2012, 21:17   #17

Boat: Haida 26

Daytime use binoculars to find entrance, night time heave too and wait till daytime, then use binoculars to find entrance...Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 21:20   #18

So much hating to do, so little time...
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 21:47   #19

Whether or not you are and old salt with an emergency, or a newbie that made a mistake, the day they make calling for help cost,the fatality rate will go up. Old salts get too pious about there abilities and everyone else being idiots. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 22:58   #20

Boat: Pearson 281

RE the initial post: A chartbook, pair of binoculars, and cheap one session CG Auxillary / Power Squadron Nav class. Not so onerous and plenty 'nuf to counter what I call the GPS Dependency Syndrome.

Right on the CG not wasting time on that call. Why "enable" these lazy fools?

Color me pious but inexperience is one thing, willful ignorance another. Love the GPS myself but if it's all somebody cares to know there will be trouble and that trouble won't just be the so called skipper's.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 00:44   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Ive been a PUSSY sailor for about 50+years !! and ya know Im alive and kicking because of it !! In the 50 and 60s we just had to WANT to cruise cus it was lonely out there!! But most all the real cruisers Ive met in my years have been as big a pussies as I am At least the Alive ones are !! Just my 2 cents !!
Very well said.

There are competent sailors. There are prudent sailors. And sometimes it's even the same person!
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 04:18   #22

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
It's because of idiots!!!!!!!!

I have a large boat and will go out in 20+knot wind and 5-10' seas when there is a small boat advisory in effect. It amazes me the number of 10-15' boats out during the time.

So basically the CG spends most of their time dealing with idiots!
Hey Don,--at what wind speed do you become an idiot?

Reason I ask is because its been blowing 25 t0 50 for 3 weeks now around here, and I need a sail --BAD.
Old 13-04-2012, 04:37   #23
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Hey Don,--at what wind speed do you become an idiot?

Reason I ask is because its been blowing 25 t0 50 for 3 weeks now around here, and I need a sail --BAD.

Wonder if there is a formula for wind speed:boat size. If you have that 41' boat, 25-35 seems reasonable to me depending on the waves.

A lot of the people (idiots) I refer to are the ones out in a 15' boat, in 25 knots wind, with 5+ foot waves with short period, open deck boat design, not wearing a life vest, are alone, anchored next to some rocks, tossing a line that is attached to a stick out from the boat while trying to stand.

Maybe the difference between a smart person and an idiot is: a smart person will say to themselves "maybe it would be stupid to go out in this" and then not go, and a idiot will say "prove it".
Old 13-04-2012, 06:00   #24

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE

In many of the sailing periodicals the central theme of the cruising articles is "It is a great and wonderful lifestyle; DON"T WAIT - GO NOW". With today's technologies: GPS, radar, VHF radio, etc., seems to detract individuals from learning needed seamanship skills. Add to this the "dog-chasing-his-tail" lifestyle some of these boaters have; the shortcuts they take probably seem justified so that they can enjoy at least some of this wonderful lifestyle. My own experience has taught me that taking shortcuts can sometimes put you aground.

The wife and I are planning to do some extended cruising starting this fall. I have taken basic & advanced coastal cruising courses via A S A, and completed the B S & S course presented by the local C G Aux. Does this make me a competent sailor? The more I learn, especially from individuals with experience, the more I understand I have a lot more to learn.

It is my desire, when you see me on the water, I will be the one offering help not the one asking for it.
Duke
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 06:11   #25
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efraim View Post
Why did they decline? Where they tending to an emergency elsewhere? Where they waiting for the skipper, who was evidently no Vasco Da Gama, to run aground and become a hazard to navigation, then they would do something? If I can't find my way around a new town, I have no problem asking a cop for directions, what makes the CG any different?

I don't think you read my report very accurately. A ten-year old could have spotted the entrance to that channel. All you'd have to do is sail east and west just west of the north end of the bridge. If you can't find THAT, you must be -- literally -- BLIND.

This person wanted a CG boat to come out and LEAD them to the entrance. Sure, you can ask a cop for directions. Can you insist that the cop turn on his lights and lead you to your destination? No. But that's what they were asking for.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 06:11   #26
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Maybe the difference between a smart person and an idiot is: a smart person will say to themselves "maybe it would be stupid to go out in this" and then not go, and a idiot will say "prove it".
To extend this theme a little more: the smart person will say "I need to develop my heavy weather ability, I will go out for an hour or so and practice what I have read about and see what I can learn", while the idiot says "what can go wrong, the CG is there".
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 06:13   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
To extend this theme a little more: the smart person will say "I need to develop my heavy weather ability, I will go out for an hour or so and practice what I have read about and see what I can learn", while the idiot says "what can go wrong, the CG is there".

The smart person will say I WANT TO SURVIVE THIS AND I DON'T HAVE THE SKILLS TO DO SO. I NEED HELP!

I've NEVER heard ANYONE say "what the heck, CG will save me." Never. How do we know this mythical group of people classified as "idiots" think that way? I have heard people say that about Boat US, but not the CG.
Old 13-04-2012, 06:17   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
Daytime use binoculars to find entrance, night time heave too and wait till daytime, then use binoculars to find entrance...Michael..

In this case you wouldn't even need binoculars. There's plenty of deep water near enough the channel to eyeball it.

Of course that would require a chart. As I recall, that was suggested and the boater said they didn't have a chart because they had the GPS ...

There could be nothing easier to find on that chart. It would in fact be a great way to start teaching a child to read a chart.
Old 13-04-2012, 06:27   #29
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
The smart person will say I WANT TO SURVIVE THIS AND I DON'T HAVE THE SKILLS TO DO SO. I NEED HELP!

I've NEVER heard ANYONE say "what the heck, CG will save me." Never. How do we know this mythical group of people classified as "idiots" think that way? I have heard people say that about Boat US, but not the CG.
Hmm... must be a cultural translation thing... you don't need to shout.... I have no idea what Boat US is and I am guessing you have no idea what a Volunteer Coast Guard is. Let me tell you it is a group of Volunteers that form up as an organization at almost every local harbour whose roll is to save boaters in distress (for free). In more serious cases, they hand over to the local water police. BTW, this country does not have a USCG type thing.

I can assure you, plenty of water users think our Coast Guard (CG) will save them if they do something stupid - like checking there is enough beer but forgetting to check if there is enough fuel.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 06:43   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... must be a cultural translation thing... you don't need to shout.... I have no idea what Boat US is and I am guessing you have no idea what a Volunteer Coast Guard is. Let me tell you it is a group of Volunteers that form up as an organization at almost every local harbour whose roll is to save boaters in distress (for free). In more serious cases, they hand over to the local water police. BTW, this country does not have a USCG type thing.

I can assure you, plenty of water users think our Coast Guard (CG) will save them if they do something stupid - like checking there is enough beer but forgetting to check if there is enough fuel.

Apples, oranges, and misunderstandings.

The Coast Guard in the US is one of the five major military organizations along with Air Force, Marines, etc. It was clear in another post of mine that I was talking about that Coast Guard because I talked about it being paid for via taxes.

If the first post meant Australia's volunteer coast guards, they didn't make that clear, because they said Coast Guard, not Volunteer Coast Guard. Could have been a misunderstanding based on how two countries do things differently.

We have a volunteer rescue organization in the St. Petersburg area. Eckerd College Search and Rescue (EKSAR) stands by most of the time on Channel 16. One time when my small boat was disabled and in trouble in rough waters they heard me call Seatow (like Boat US). They came out unbidden and waited off the bow of my boat out of the way but ready to help when I caught the tow rope. I was very grateful to them because I could have easily been thrown off the bow in the process and there's no one I would rather have had ready to pull me out of bad waters.

The US Coast Guard trains intensively and difficult rescues are their stock in trade. It's much like what Prince Harry does.

If I had not had Seatow Insurance (that and towing insurance from Boat US are commonly held here and I wouldn't leave the dock without it), I would have had to call the Coast Guard, because we were in serious trouble.

It WAS caused by a boneheaded mistake on my part. I was new to sailing and erroneously thought "The skippers on these other boats all know more than I do. If they say it's safe to sail, it's safe to sail." If I'd actually LOOKED at the weather report, I would have realized I shouldn't have left to go home on that date.

It was a valuable lesson, and while it was a bad mistake, it had the effect of rapidly making me a better, smarter sailor.