Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2011, 10:22   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: The Bitter End??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artif View Post
Point taken, I'm not bitter

Here is a picture of one of my dogs leads, hence the braid used for the whipping, rather than whipping twine, which makes a much nicer job of it.
But it gives you an idea of the result.

Please excuse the poor workmanship but the braid really isn't the ideal material for this kind of work
Very pretty! Boy, you learn something every day around here!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 10:45   #17

If it's small stuff, I just put a turn of masking tape around it, cut through the tape and melt the end. Done properly you just get a nice round ball on the end with no sharps. Even if I whip the end I usually do this first.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 10:52   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
"Sometimes it's the smaller fine details that impress and define the difference bewteen seasoned sailors and check book sailors "

I think he just called me a "check book sailor". Quick! Send me a check! I would love to be one!

LOL, Yeah sometimes even with my greasy shorts and torn Tee's my wife still thinks I'm snooty.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 12:37   #19

Here is a pic of a double twist in waxed whipping twine. The double twist is made by using both tails from the constricter knot.
Artif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 12:53   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Here's my snubber again, the picture used this time to show the backsplice in 3-strand:

And here is my favorite way for double braid, the Flemish splice:

Watch carefully, the loop is just the outer braid! this allows it to pass blocks, sheaves and even rope clutches and all that with a messenger line attached. Can be beaten!

Here's the finished product:

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 17:56   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Nice! Thanks for all the replies. This was what I was looking for.

Jacob
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 20:10   #22

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive been splicein and whippin for over 50 yrs, and I sure learned a BUNCH on here tonight thanks for the wonderful pictures which were enough for me to see and copy!! Never to old learn for sure my stuff is gonna be even more Bristol Thanks again Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 20:55   #23

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

I tend to melt the ends in port, and then on long passages go back and whip the ends properly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
And here is my favorite way for double braid, the Flemish splice:
Watch carefully, the loop is just the outer braid! this allows it to pass blocks, sheaves and even rope clutches and all that with a messenger line attached. Can be beaten!
Nick, I've done that for sail ties, but passed the outer braid through itself twice instead of once. Maybe that's not necessary? With the blue whipping, do you stick a needle through the core to keep it from slipping out, or is that the kind of whipping where the thread is wrapped around and then tied off? I Googled Flemish Splice but seem to only get a 1x19 wire splice that's different.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 21:31   #24

Quote:

ciao!
Nick.
SWMBO would gut me if she caught me using her Global knives for splicing....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 00:28   #25

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Here's my snubber again, the picture used this time to show the backsplice in 3-strand
This is nerdy, but why did you make the snubber with a loop and then a lashing to the chain hook instead of a chain splice directly onto the chain hook? Is it stronger or something?

I have to make one of these and am curious if there's some new 'state of the art' way or thought.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:07   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer
I tend to melt the ends in port, and then on long passages go back and whip the ends properly...

Nick, I've done that for sail ties, but passed the outer braid through itself twice instead of once. Maybe that's not necessary? With the blue whipping, do you stick a needle through the core to keep it from slipping out, or is that the kind of whipping where the thread is wrapped around and then tied off? I Googled Flemish Splice but seem to only get a 1x19 wire splice that's different.
I got this from books, but can find Flemish Eye splices on Google too, often in old wire splicing yes.

The best way to do this is to cut back and taper the core, then splice the outer braid loop so that you exit where the core becomes full diameter again. Then cut the outer braid diagonally so it gets tapered too, and pull it back so that both tapers are alongside. This is where I sometimes pull too hard and have to get the splicing needle through it again
Edit: double-click, tap/whatever the photo or heading above it to enlarge it and you can see the detail of the whippings incl. the sewing etc.

The whippings are both sewn. I do that for every whipping, always use the needle. I also like to create some color like the Dutch flag red, white and blue in the picture here. Some lines are coded with whippings, like reef 1, 2 and 3 on the leech reefing lines at the base of the boom or the main and mizzen halyards.

This eye is as strong as the outer braid and probably stronger than the messenger line you tie to it. Often it's just to finish the bitter end. You can even make the loop so tiny that it's just to make it pretty.

The photo's here are actually a halyard made from single-core 12-strand Vectran. I added an outer braid to it where needed for protection.

cheers,
Nick.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:09   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper

SWMBO would gut me if she caught me using her Global knives for splicing....
Shhhhhhhtttt! She sometimes read these forums to check on me!

Nothing beats a Global knife haha!

ciao!
Nick.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:23   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer

This is nerdy, but why did you make the snubber with a loop and then a lashing to the chain hook instead of a chain splice directly onto the chain hook? Is it stronger or something?

I have to make one of these and am curious if there's some new 'state of the art' way or thought.
The only reason that I use the Spectra lashing is that the rope does not fit through the eye of the hook. The rope is 5/8" and the hook is 1/2" max. I have tried a 1/2" snubber but I break them while 5/8" stays in one piece no matter how wild the squalls are. I never use metal hardware other than the stainless hook.

The lashing is amazing, it has never broken and that includes 50-60 knot squalls.

ciao,
Nick.

Old 02-01-2012, 13:19   #29

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Another quick way is to hold the end over a flame till it starts to meltm then mould it with wet fingers.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 22:18   #30

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Boating Above the Fray - How to Whip a Rope | YachtPals.com

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote