Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2015, 05:31   #1

Boat: South Coast 36
South Coast 36 Madien Voyage

Hi
I am posting this up here for anyone who may be surfing the net for Info on the SC36, as there is very little info out there on them.

Sea Scamp is my 4th sailing boat, going from a Prindle 15 to a Sea Bird, then onto my first keeled hull a Compass 28, which I absolutely loved her sailing ability, draught and sea worthiness, she just lacked a little bit in size and storage for me with all my toys, e.g fishing, diving gear, Surfboards and storage space in general.

It took me about three years to finally decide on up sizing to a bigger boat, my three choices where a 43ft Hans Christian (which I could not afford) a Compass 38 or the South Coast 36.

I wanted a vessel with a full keel that was capable of taking me offshore, to Lord Howe, New Zealand and at least as far as Fiji , but could also be Navigated through some of the shallower passages and bar crossing which we encounter on the East Coast of Australia, e.g. The Great Sandy Strait, and the Canapia Passage, which the SC36 with her 1.4m draught and full length keel would be capable of doing.

The maiden Voyage was a 3 week cruise from the top end of Morten Bay down to Southport, and back again, exploring the waters and Islands between.

We, Tracey & I left with about 2 hours of daylight to go, with an 18kt Sou Easter blowing, being the first time on the boat we motored all the way, with the 50hp PRIMA Perkins set on 1900rpm, which was giving us about 6-6.5kts into the wind, and 1 to 1.5m horrible step chop, which was of no concern to us with the high freeboard and centre cock-pit, which is garnished with a solid dodger, which again proved valuable the following day as we copped 30 to 35kts on the nose again, I'm not shore how big the waves were the following day, but on the bigger sets, our speed was sometime reduced down to 2.5kts but soon recovered back up to the cruising speed of 6 to 6.5kts @ 1900rpm. She was very comfortable and felt safe throughout the blow,

On sailing I had heard rumours that the South Coast 36 was a dog to tack, well that myth can be squashed, because we got her around every time, even in the light airs that we would experience for the remainder of our three weeks cruising around. She didn't spin on a dime but she did go around, she is a cruising yacht anyway, not a racer.

There where the odd accessions, when the GENOA got caught on the inner stay, but that would of been reduced, if I did not leave the stay sail in the car, we may of even picked up a half a knot or so.
We sailed at about 30degrees off the wind, it was always only light, sometimes getting up to 6 or 8kts when we were lucky, there was the odd 11kt gust from time to time, and our top speed was 6.7kts, while under sail.

We sailed past Dolphins, and Dugongs, dived on wrecks (snorkelled) and saw heaps of fish, wobbegong sharks to, we caught Mud Crabs and Bream to eat, We met some nice people and enjoyed many sunsets sipping on wine, so it's fair to say we had a ball on our Maiden Voyage.

Sea camp sailed well and kept us dry, and we are looking forward to sailing her out to sea in a couple of weeks, with our destination unknown.

Cheers

Shane & Tracey

Sea Scamp
Sea Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 21:56   #2

Re: South Coast 36 Madien Voyage

Hi
While manoeuvring Sea Scamp ( South coast 36) out of the marina pen, she responded well to the helm, without much lag at all, her movements were steady and strong, she always held her head and would carry her speed well, as I nocked her in and out of gear as we approached the fuelling wharf, I had no troubles at all with steerage even in some of the tighter spots at low speed.

Sea Scamp is fitted with a 185mm 65fp VETUS bow thruster, which I have not used in anger, but I must say when I have played with it, Sea Scamp can be turn on a dime, I was very surprised at just how much she could be pushed around by the thruster. I am not a fan of the bow thruster, and nearly did not by Sea Scamp because of it, to me it's just something else that can go wrong or leak, but in saying that and seeing how it performed, it's nice to no it's there.

Cheers
Old 27-08-2015, 22:26   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Congratulations on what was clearly a successful voyage. Loved the SC36s, they were very high on our shortlist of boats. I particularly like the interior layout and am often encouraged by my wife to reconfigure the Swanson interior to a similar layout. It would be a lot of work, but probably worth it in the end.

Matt
Old 19-08-2017, 16:05   #4

Ahoy Sea Scamp, just read your post from 2015 and was wondering if your still on your South Coast 36. I also have a SC36 at mooloolaba and head into Moreton Bay. Luv these boats.
Waterman_1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 02:55   #5

Boat: Southcoast 36

Another South Coast 36er here.

So far we have cruised her up the west coast, over the top to Cairns then back again! Now working and saving coinage to set off again for another 3 -5 years.

Currently have the mast pulled and am doing what is becoming a fairly significant refit. She is 1982 vintage and am slowly working through everything.

We have found her comfortable, steady and solid but as a first boat, I don't really have any comparison material regards sailing ability. Overall we averaged around 4.5 knots but when we get the wind in the right spot we comfortably make 6 knots.

We like her a lot.

Wind
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 03:25   #6

Hi Winf, sounds like your busy. We have had NANKEEN for a year now. She is an 83/84 build. Since buying her we have rerigged her and changed the headsail. At the moment we have a van full of new internal upholstery and battened boom bag to load on her. All Sunbrella Pacific Blue. Will try and work out how to load some photo's.
Waterman
Waterman_1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 20:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Scamp View Post
Hi
I am posting this up here for anyone who may be surfing the net for Info on the SC36, as there is very little info out there on them.

Sea Scamp is my 4th sailing boat, going from a Prindle 15 to a Sea Bird, then onto my first keeled hull a Compass 28, which I absolutely loved her sailing ability, draught and sea worthiness, she just lacked a little bit in size and storage for me with all my toys, e.g fishing, diving gear, Surfboards and storage space in general.

It took me about three years to finally decide on up sizing to a bigger boat, my three choices where a 43ft Hans Christian (which I could not afford) a Compass 38 or the South Coast 36.

I wanted a vessel with a full keel that was capable of taking me offshore, to Lord Howe, New Zealand and at least as far as Fiji , but could also be Navigated through some of the shallower passages and bar crossing which we encounter on the East Coast of Australia, e.g. The Great Sandy Strait, and the Canapia Passage, which the SC36 with her 1.4m draught and full length keel would be capable of doing.

The maiden Voyage was a 3 week cruise from the top end of Morten Bay down to Southport, and back again, exploring the waters and Islands between.

We, Tracey & I left with about 2 hours of daylight to go, with an 18kt Sou Easter blowing, being the first time on the boat we motored all the way, with the 50hp PRIMA Perkins set on 1900rpm, which was giving us about 6-6.5kts into the wind, and 1 to 1.5m horrible step chop, which was of no concern to us with the high freeboard and centre cock-pit, which is garnished with a solid dodger, which again proved valuable the following day as we copped 30 to 35kts on the nose again, I'm not shore how big the waves were the following day, but on the bigger sets, our speed was sometime reduced down to 2.5kts but soon recovered back up to the cruising speed of 6 to 6.5kts @ 1900rpm. She was very comfortable and felt safe throughout the blow,

On sailing I had heard rumours that the South Coast 36 was a dog to tack, well that myth can be squashed, because we got her around every time, even in the light airs that we would experience for the remainder of our three weeks cruising around. She didn't spin on a dime but she did go around, she is a cruising yacht anyway, not a racer.

There where the odd accessions, when the GENOA got caught on the inner stay, but that would of been reduced, if I did not leave the stay sail in the car, we may of even picked up a half a knot or so.
We sailed at about 30degrees off the wind, it was always only light, sometimes getting up to 6 or 8kts when we were lucky, there was the odd 11kt gust from time to time, and our top speed was 6.7kts, while under sail.

We sailed past Dolphins, and Dugongs, dived on wrecks (snorkelled) and saw heaps of fish, wobbegong sharks to, we caught Mud Crabs and Bream to eat, We met some nice people and enjoyed many sunsets sipping on wine, so it's fair to say we had a ball on our Maiden Voyage.

Sea camp sailed well and kept us dry, and we are looking forward to sailing her out to sea in a couple of weeks, with our destination unknown.

Cheers

Shane & Tracey

Sea Scamp
Hi Shane & Tracey,
Just a quick message we were the original owners of Sea Scamp and have wonderful memories of our adventures. Yes you will be able to go to Lord Howe Island as we did and further afield if you wish. We fund Sea Scamp a good sea boat . It's 20 years since we sold it due to a few health issues but still miss it very much. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Cheers Ron and Elaine.
Banksia42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:30   #8

Hi Ron and Elaine,

Shane here, sorry I never got back to you, after a chat on the phone a couple of years ago, but I lost your contacts.

Sea Scamp is still going great, and I'm sure she will be with me for a very long time,
Any how I don't spose you could text me on 0421710786 or email me on feebing@yahoo.com.au as I have a couple of questions for you.

Kind Regards

Shane