The two crew that I had found for this journey have sadly had to withdraw for personal reasons, so I am looking for 2 crew for a journey.
Sailing from: Sydney
, NSW, in September 2013 to Newcastle. Will stay there a few months, then leaving Newcastle in December 2013, via Lord Howe Island, to Nelson then Lyttleton in New Zealand
. Leaving Lyttleton in March 2014 to sail via the "roaring forties" of the southern ocean, then north to Raivavae in French Polynesia
From April 2014 to November 2014 will then be island hopping from Raivavae/Tahiti/Cook Islands/Samoa/Fiji and then on to Vanuatu
for some or all parts
of the journey. IN PARTICULAR I am after 2 hardy and experienced crew to help me sail the boat
on an adventure across the southern ocean, starting in Newcastle via Lyttleton to Raivavae. This part of the journey will be rough, and in parts
cold and wet as we take on the roaring forties (although most of that will be down wind).
CHIARA STELLA is a steel cutter
rigged vessel of 40ft on deck
, with all of the safety
features. Constructed in Holland
in 1982 and refitted recently, I won't bore you with the details but it's a solid ocean going vessel having already circumnavigated twice.
PREFERABLY I am after a couple (genders not important, but having a couple on board will make the sleeping arrangements a bit easier) who believe they can handle the voyage from Lyttleton to Raivavae. Either side of that you're welcome to join in the Sydney
to Newcastle leg or the Newcastle to Lyttleton leg, although if you were willing to tackle the southern ocean I can find less hardy crew for the shorter legs.
Respond here or email
me directly: del at babel dot com dot au (and do the usual substitutions to turn that into a real email
Name, Hailing Port, including country: CHIARA STELLA, Sydney, Australia
2. Type and size of boat: 40ft sailing vessel, cutter
rig, steel hull
3. Will the boat's owner be aboard (yes/no): yes
4. What is the relationship of the skipper
to boat owner if owner won't be aboard (Relative/friend, Employee/delivery skipper): owner
5. How many other crew will be aboard during this passage
: owner + 2, total 3
6. How many children
will be aboard during this passage
7. Children's ages (infant through 18 y.o.): NA
8. How many pets
(and type) will be aboard during this passage: 1 cat
9. Present boat location (Port including Country): Sydney, Australia
10. Starting point of passage advertised for crew: Newcastle, Australia or Lyttleton, New Zealand
11. Approximate date trip will start (month/year): December 2013 or March 2014
12. Approximate length of trip: 4 months or 1 month.
13. Expected destination
of trip: Raivavae, and then onwards to Vanuatu
14. Duties crew member
will be expected to perform: Sailing, watch-keeping, cooking
, keeping own self safe and seamanlike.
15. Desired sailing experience level for crew member
to already have: At least one major ocean passage.
16. Expected daily cost-share for trip (in US Dollar): From Sydney to Raivavae, nil, I will be covering all costs. From Raivavae onwards, shared food
and beverage cost only (alcohol is at your own expense).
states that the expected daily cost-share stated is for FOOD
only and doe not include fuel
, boat operating costs, marina fees
, or any other expenses of cruising nor for profit (yes/no):Yes