Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2019, 07:27   #46

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate
Re: Sailboat beached near Jacksonville, FL

Most yellow straps are nylon is my understanding. That’s why if it rains you have to check the strap tension on the load.

elasticity is a big part of effectiveness as it lessens the shock loading and in that way increases some aspects of safety.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:22   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What a I saw goes around the vessel tight against the hull and is tied to the hull to keep it up off of the ground and tight against the hull.
I’m not sure what yellowish towing straps are made from, but being the color is the material itself, Spectra or something.

Booms I’ve seen are of course laid on the ground or water and not held up off of the surface.
Then that’s most likely what I saw also, I just assumed it was a poor implementation of a boom. Thanks!

Still hoping someone can ID what kind of boat that is; make/model.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:32   #48

Boat: Irwin 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char99 View Post
Looking at the video I notice a line pretty well wrapped in the prop. Maybe that is what stalled the engine.
Looks like that yellow line around the prop could be how they attached the boom line to the stern.
SV Aquavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:41   #49

Boat: Lancer Powersailer, 27
Send a message via Skype™ to MaxEntropy

The towboat captain that was called out to this vessel lives on the boat next to me and he told me that its a Morgan schooner about 60 feet. They had a dirty fuel filter and no spare. The seas were 8 foot with an 8 second dominant period and they lost their anchor and were not up to sailing into the inlet or back out to sea. Bad luck combined with inexperience and poor planning were at work here. Such a beautiful boat. They, like others recently, have started a go fund me to help them with their poor decisions.
MaxEntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:42   #50
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i know the bottom around mayport is hard sand .. difficult or impossible to anchor a big boat in a blow. what I don't get is they did not consider putting out a sail and heading downwind for a while .. or just sailing back thru mayport inlet. sometimes being inflexible can cost a lot of time and money
Old 09-10-2019, 09:12   #51

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I'm purely guessing. It appears that yellow line around to prop. is that cheap poly that has no place on a boat some of which floats so it may have been picked up. A little far north to be a crab/lobster trap wharp. The yellow around her may be something like a collapsed fire hose to protect the hull from a cable inside used to connect a hawser to. Deck hardware probably is inadequate for towing her free.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:22   #52

Anybody have any updates?
Old 09-10-2019, 12:25   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Sailboat beached near Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i know the bottom around mayport is hard sand .. difficult or impossible to anchor a big boat in a blow. what I don't get is they did not consider putting out a sail and heading downwind for a while .. or just sailing back thru mayport inlet. sometimes being inflexible can cost a lot of time and money

I am going to assume they really didn’t know what they were doing, likely a new boat for them, and maybe they didn’t have any sailing experience.
Besides being inadequately prepared, if I’m correct about inexperience etc., they shouldn’t have been out in that Wx. My guess is a work schedule or similar made them go.

If for some reason you find yourself in a similar situation without a replacement filter, if it’s a cartridge filter like a Racor, remove it, and if it’s a screw on etc., bypass it.

That is absolutely a bad thing to do to the injector pump and injectors, and may not last long, but it may have gotten them back into the pass.

You can buy Cartridges for a Racor 500 by a box of a dozen on EBay for a little over $110.

I’m hoping they have it off by now.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 13:26   #54

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Anybody have any updates?
Looks like it was towed off, not before it was looted. Sad event overall.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/florid...tic-beach-surf
Old 09-10-2019, 13:41   #55

Quote:
I am going to assume they really didn’t know what they were doing, likely a new boat for them, and maybe they didn’t have any sailing experience.
Besides being inadequately prepared, if I’m correct about inexperience etc., they shouldn’t have been out in that Wx. My guess is a work schedule or similar made them go.

If for some reason you find yourself in a similar situation without a replacement filter, if it’s a cartridge filter like a Racor, remove it, and if it’s a screw on etc., bypass it.

That is absolutely a bad thing to do to the injector pump and injectors, and may not last long, but it may have gotten them back into the pass.

You can buy Cartridges for a Racor 500 by a box of a dozen on EBay for a little over $110.

I’m hoping they have it off by now.
I believe the filter being the cause is misinformation. Go back and look at that rats nest of rope wrapped around the prop and shaft. When has a filter cause a catastrophic failure all of a sudden.
I like you hope they are off. It appears to be smooth beach so hopefully no hull damage.
I hope someone will let us know. It's probably old news for the TV station.
Old 09-10-2019, 13:51   #56

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post

Of course. Jacksonville. More pirates than anywhere in the Caribbean had in history.

Hopefully the German thinking of leaving his 49' catamaran at anchor for months reads this post. This is exactly what happens in much of the USA when you leave a boat.

Looks like they went through 4 filters before the last one clogged. Not entirely unreasonable to expect 4 filters to last from West Palm to Jacksonville. But arm chair thinking says they probably should have polished or disposed of the old fuel.

If you read the GoFundMe it tells a much better first hand account.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/saving-th...KyYmooAE0Am6fr

They even stole their shoes. Only in Jacksonville.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 13:59   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post

Spot, thanks!
Old 09-10-2019, 15:37   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

According to the owner the USCG cut the “line” on their boat and that is why it’s aground?

They also called a towing service that didn’t respond?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 16:53   #59

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
According to the owner the USCG cut the “line” on their boat and that is why it’s aground?

They also called a towing service that didn’t respond?
Yeah. Some shaky details for sure. But I feel like once you get all of the stories from everyone, the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. I have no idea what line the Coast Guard could have cut. Anchor line? Didn’t look like they had one deployed.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 17:03   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

...that boat has been moved....it was pulled off the beach by a J'ville Tug....
...ka-ching.....salvage rights.... !!! Not sure where it is now.

...I'm wondering if it was insured.

...Atlantic Beach is a relatively peaceful neighborhood, the looting story is somewhat surprising. Was the boat not locked when they left it ??

...so many questions, what were they doing offshore in a building nor-easter....heading north....apparently under power alone..and yes, why did they not consider anchoring the vessel....did they consider the ICW ??Maybe it wouldn't fit under the bridges ?? The boat did not appear to ready to be sailed anywhere. All the sails were furled and some missing.

...You can sail against a nor-easter....it will be wet and a bit lumpy, but not that big an ordeal, I've done it.
...they could have called seatow or boatUs to come and help them, they weren't far from the Mayport inlet ???
The USCG is not in the business of towing boats of a beach, they will take you off the boat, if the situation warrants it.

...motoring against a nor-easter is a sure recipe to stir up the junk in your tank, especially if this boat has been sitting somewhere for a while.

...many more questions, but what is the point.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, jacksonville, sail, sailboat