Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2019, 15:13   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Sailboat beached near Jacksonville, FL

Whatever it’s disposition, some one owes the salvor a pretty penny.
Unless of course they were family or something and did it for free.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 15:41   #92

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Sailboat beached near Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Whatever it’s disposition, some one owes the salvor a pretty penny.
Unless of course they were family or something and did it for free.
You have that right. The cost of the equipment and crew probably exceeds the value of the boat. It is a no win situation unless there is some compassion.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 16:45   #93
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

...I'm intrigued myself...

...who owns the boat now ??

...I'm assuming the salvor does under maritime salvage laws, but from the time the boat was beached to the time it ended up at GCS was remarkably quick.
GCS springs is also home to a lot of tugs and barges, so maybe two birds were killed in one go as the tug and barge were simply " going home".
The name of the salvor is not yet known.

The boat was pulled off the beach by a tug. There was no barge at that time. Where did that tug come from? Where did the work barge come from? Where did all the people on the beach come from?..They were a work crew, not a barge crew.

That was obviously a work barge as it had that big crane on it...
There are some large marine contractors in the area who own work barges like that, which are kept on the St. Johns River in the downtown area.

Talking about tugs, you have the ship tugs, which provide service to large vessels coming in and out of J'ville, that are based near the Port, but as far as I know, they don't keep a work barge in their inventory.

The more I think about it, that tug must have come from the marine contractor's side and not the Jville Port side.

That work barge must have come from one of two marine contractors in the area, maybe the tug did as well.
That was a big crane, the kind used for driving piles, and it would have needed to be a large crane to lift a 60,000 lb vessel

What happened next? Where was it pulled too ?
Where was it loaded onto a barge?

And now.....who is paying to keep the boat in GCS....???
The salvor ?...the owner ?...a 3rd party ??

Maybe a deal was struck with someone, but as far as I know, the boat was not insured, so if a deal was struck it would have been mano y mano.

Still, my understanding was that the boat was purchased for around $60K....and given that the moving the boat to GCS was by any estimate at least $60K..but that would have been our price....as a consumer/client....if the boat was moved by the tug company for the tug company's benefit, the actual cost may only be the price of diesel...pick a number....say $10K, all the personnel would have been on payroll and they own the work barge....so if the tug company wanted to sell it for ...say...$60K....they would make $50K profit.

Who knows, maybe they had a buyer in the wings already..??? Maybe they made a deal with the original owners ??

The reality is I don't have a clue....I suppose I could head on down to GCS and find out...but that is also unlikely.

In the end, I'm assuming that time will tell.

I know several people in the marine construction industry here in the J'ville area, maybe I'll make a few calls....see what I can dig up....

One thing is for sure, the Travel Lift GCS springs has, is unlikely to be able to re-launch this boat, which is probably the reason they parked it right there on the edge, as it would require the same work barge to get it off the land.

Finally, they could be planning to scrap the boat.

Well, that is my 2c for the day.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 16:48   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Sailboat beached near Jacksonville, FL

I believe the owner, still owns the boat, however I’d guess that there is a rather large Lien on it now. Owner may be a bank.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 17:05   #95
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

yes, a lien, this is a possibility.
and...having that boat on land, surely would prevent anyone from sneaking of with it in the middle of the night to avoid paying off the lien.
that boat has little value to anyone except to the owners, the salvor for sure has no need for it, yet, the salvor holds the keys to escape, as the work barge would be required to relaunch it again.
yes, the best win-win option, would be the for the owners to fix what they can, pay off the lien and get going again.
Considering that the boat could have been a total loss, paying of a salvor's lien, is probably a swallowable pill.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, jacksonville, sail, sailboat