Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2014, 20:10   #1

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Outhaul baseline question..

We hear put the outhaul on hard in heavy air and ease it off in lighter air but what is the baseline starting point for these statements? Does one start out with the outhaul on hard and ease if necessary or hard minus 1-2 inches and adjust from there?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 20:44   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Outhaul baseline question..

All boats are different, sails are different, how much the outhaul changes sailshape is different, everything's different. What you're interested in is what the sail looks like and that depends on how the boat is sailing in the conditions you're in. Here are some pictures and descriptions of what you are attempting to make your sail look like. There's an outhaul section in each.

http://www.haarsticksailmakers.com/d...lTrimGuide.pdf

North Sails: Set Depth
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 22:10   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Cal40John's two links cover it all but for perspective - it all goes together.

main trim can be considered a compromise between fast, steering angle, drag and acceleration. The shape is optimized (compromised?) for -

High wind + flat sea
High wind + lumpy sea
Low wind

At about 12-15 knots all boats are "fully powered" then it is a matter of practicing to achieve best pointing and boat speed at the same time. I know there are electronic sailors but you can learn this easily with boat speed and a good windex.

The first goal is always boat speed. The helmsman's "only" goal is boatspeed. He should know what boatspeed to expect in given conditions and sail the boat to boat speed. If the boat is not pointing there is a trim issue that needs to be worked out.

The helmsman and trimmers are in constant communication, weatherhelm, steering angle, acceleration all need to be discussed constantly.

There are other ways to manage a boat but I teach the helmsman to pursue speed, the tactician to pursue course, and the lead trimmer (usually the mainsail trimmer) to be in charge of sail trim and pointing. These three effectively manage the boat.

I have been on many boats where the roles re not defined and there is anarchy. Lots' of shouting and conflicting instructions. Nothing worse for a trimmer to have 3 people telling him/her how to trim.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 07:46   #4

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Thanks for the comments. As usual I didn't phrase the question properly. I probably should have asked, "when you get on your boat, what is the initial setting of your outhaul from which you then make the necessary adjustments?" Or, in more general terms, when authors of sail trim articles make statements about the outhaul, "where do you think their initial baseline is for such statements?"

Thanks to cal40John for the two links. As it turns out, I've read those articles before and already have both of those links saved on my browser.

Might have been a useless question but I'm bored...
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 15:43   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Outhaul on tight generally means a loose footed sail is touching the boom all along its length. Most people mark the boom for when the clew is in the right spot.

Maximum release of the outhaul is 1 inch for every foot of E. So for a 9 foot E that would be a 9 inch gap at the middle of the foot between the sail and the boom.
Old 14-09-2014, 17:52   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

On our boat (cruising mode) we do not use an outhaul. The clew is fixed (in a relatively tight foot position). When it blows, the main is reefed and then the clew reef line takes over the role of an outhaul and then I trim it flat.

Now you may wonder what I do when it is very light. Well, I attached the tack to the shackle with a line. I ease this line somewhat when it is light and the foot opens. Sort of like a horizontal cunningham.

I know it is a shortcut, but it works fine for a cruising style trim.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 18:31   #7

Boat: Traditional 30

The stronger the wind the tighter you make it. Just remember to ease it when you leave the boat. It will help prevent stretch in the foot.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 02:35   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
On our boat (cruising mode) we do not use an outhaul. The clew is fixed (in a relatively tight foot position). When it blows, the main is reefed and then the clew reef line takes over the role of an outhaul and then I trim it flat.

Now you may wonder what I do when it is very light. Well, I attached the tack to the shackle with a line. I ease this line somewhat when it is light and the foot opens. Sort of like a horizontal cunningham.

I know it is a shortcut, but it works fine for a cruising style trim.

Cheers,
b.
Sounds like you have made an "inhaul."

Not sure that it does much. Easing the tack would allow only the sail material from the tack to the first slug to ease.

Obviously an outhaul eases the entire leach.

Tags
outhaul