Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2014, 16:11   #76

Re: New Sea Shepherd vessel and shes a beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Come on kids, lets play nice.
I am playing nice.

I'm just providing sources of information, that's what threads like this are for, discussion and learning.
Old 19-10-2014, 16:12   #77

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I suspect you would agree that if the information comes from Interpol, it is fact?

Here is the Interpol notice. It has not been rescinded.

- INTERPOL
I wonder where he got a passport from?
At any rate, Costa Rica still want him for criminal activity.
Yep, I would. BUT, why has he not been arrested?
When he turned up in the US to answer other charges he anounced that Costa Rica had dropped their allegations and as a result the Red Notice has been rescinded. If he's still 'wanted' and there is an arrest warrant, then how is he going about business without being arrested.

http://www.interpol.int/News-and-med...2012/N20120914

Actually, this is only a 'notice', if you read the advice around what a notice is, you will see that it is 'not' an arrest warrant and clearly identifies a person should not be considered guilty of anything. So, whilst the 'red notice', both of them (one from Japan as well) may be still in place, they do not equate to a 'warrant for arrest'.
Old 19-10-2014, 16:17   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
When he turned up in the US to answer other charges he anounced that Costa Rica had dropped their allegations and as a result the Red Notice has been rescinded. If he's still 'wanted' and there is an arrest warrant, then how is he going about business without being arrested.
The same reason Roman Polanski isn't in jail...

law enforcement apathy.
Old 19-10-2014, 16:23   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
The same reason Roman Polanski isn't in jail...

law enforcement apathy.
There is no currant arrest warrant out for Paul Watson anywhere that I can see. Happy to be shown some other information. Ever since he turned up to court in Seattle in 2013. A Red Notice is not a warrant of arrest.

There are US warrants out for Polanski. He's avoided them by living in a country that won't act on the warrants. If that rapist (as he was convicted I believe in his absence) turns up in a country, even here, he is likely to be arrested on warrant.
Old 19-10-2014, 16:40   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Costa Rica denies Watson's claim. This is not the first time Watson has been "economical with the truth".

Costa Rica denies claim by Sea Shepherd’s Paul Watson that Interpol Red Notice ‘has been dropped’ — The Tico Times

Quote:
N20120914 / 2012 / News / News and media / Internet / Home - INTERPOL

Actually, this is only a 'notice', if you read the advice around what a notice is, you will see that it is 'not' an arrest warrant and clearly identifies a person should not be considered guilty of anything. So, whilst the 'red notice', both of them (one from Japan as well) may be still in place, they do not equate to a 'warrant for arrest'.
If he is enters a country with an extradition treaty with Costa Rica, he will be arrested.
Old 19-10-2014, 16:52   #81

Quote:
Costa Rica denies Watson's claim. This is not the first time Watson has been "economical with the truth".

Costa Rica denies claim by Sea Shepherd’s Paul Watson that Interpol Red Notice ‘has been dropped’ — The Tico Times

If he is enters a country with an extradition treaty with Costa Rica, he will be arrested.
probably a good point. Economical with the truth is a common trait. But then, look at what is commonly known about Costa Rica's involvement with poaching as a government and a number of other concerns from corruption to murder. Not a particularly trust worthy country to put a lot of faith in.

I still don't know where you get the idea that there is an arrest warrant out for him?

It's also interesting how we have gone in this thread from 'international criminal with an international interpol arrest warrant' to just this. something is amiss with the information.
Old 19-10-2014, 17:56   #82

Quote:
probably a good point. Economical with the truth is a common trait. But then, look at what is commonly known about Costa Rica's involvement with poaching as a government and a number of other concerns from corruption to murder. Not a particularly trust worthy country to put a lot of faith in.

I still don't know where you get the idea that there is an arrest warrant out for him?

It's also interesting how we have gone in this thread from 'international criminal with an international interpol arrest warrant' to just this. something is amiss with the information.
I don't know why he hasn't been arrested. I've seen that an arrest warrant was issued, confirmed by several sources, but I haven't seen any sources indicating that the warrant has been dropped.

Remember this?

Quote:
In April 2010 the Japanese Coast Guard obtained an arrest warrant for Watson "...on suspicion of ordering sabotage activities against Japan's whaling fleet", and Interpol has listed him as wanted at the request of Japan.

They initially issued a Red Notice, canceled it in May 2012, then renewed it in August 2012, and I have not seen any source stating that it was canceled after that.

Regardless, there is no denying that he is a terrorist.
Old 19-10-2014, 18:10   #83

Quote:
I don't know why he hasn't been arrested. I've seen that an arrest warrant was issued, confirmed by several sources, but I haven't seen any sources indicating that the warrant has been dropped.

Remember this?

Quote:
In April 2010 the Japanese Coast Guard obtained an arrest warrant for Watson "...on suspicion of ordering sabotage activities against Japan's whaling fleet", and Interpol has listed him as wanted at the request of Japan.

They initially issued a Red Notice, canceled it in May 2012, then renewed it in August 2012, and I have not seen any source stating that it was canceled after that.

Regardless, there is no denying that he is a terrorist.
A Red Notice is not a warrant, nor guilt of anything. See the previous INTERPOL link I provided.

I haven't seen any arrest warrant claims on him, other than what some keep advising without providing links other than to old news articles etc. April 2010 was over four years ago.

'there is no deying that he is a terrorist'. Well, okay, this depends on what your calling a 'terrorist'. The Greens in Australia are called 'eco terrorists' as well. So are many animal rights activists. So, whether he is a 'terrorists' depends on your definition. On a very loose definition, then I'll accept he's a terrorist, in which case I'm a supporter of some forms of terrorism.

And frankly just because the 9th circuit court called him a 'terrorist' doesn't provide legal proof he is, any more than our moron judge in Australia who advised some years ago that a husband who rapes his wife is just exerting his rights. It's interesting that NO legitimate authority has so far taken out a warrant to arrest this 'terrorist' and yet he's been in Australia and the US. He presented to the same court in Seattle without being arrested.

Emotions aside, I don't think it's helpful to be using a term (terrorist) that in this day and age is more linked to criminals of the 9/11 kind than of an environmental activist. The following wiki link, gives a pretty good common understanding in this day and age of what a 'terrorist' is and frankly I think it is murking the waters to be adding or using the term for less warranted deeds. But that's just me.

Terrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 19-10-2014, 18:36   #84

Quote:
A Red Notice is not a warrant, nor guilt of anything. See the previous INTERPOL link I provided.

I haven't seen any arrest warrant claims on him, other than what some keep advising without providing links other than to old news articles etc. April 2010 was over four years ago.

'there is no deying that he is a terrorist'. Well, okay, this depends on what your calling a 'terrorist'. The Greens in Australia are called 'eco terrorists' as well. So are many animal rights activists. So, whether he is a 'terrorists' depends on your definition. On a very loose definition, then I'll accept he's a terrorist, in which case I'm a supporter of some forms of terrorism.

And frankly just because the 9th circuit court called him a 'terrorist' doesn't provide legal proof he is, any more than our moron judge in Australia who advised some years ago that a husband who rapes his wife is just exerting his rights. It's interesting that NO legitimate authority has so far taken out a warrant to arrest this 'terrorist' and yet he's been in Australia and the US. He presented to the same court in Seattle without being arrested.

Emotions aside, I don't think it's helpful to be using a term (terrorist) that in this day and age is more linked to criminals of the 9/11 kind than of an environmental activist. The following wiki link, gives a pretty good common understanding in this day and age of what a 'terrorist' is and frankly I think it is murking the waters to be adding or using the term for less warranted deeds. But that's just me.

Terrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You are correct, a Red Notice is not an arrest warrant. It is a notice to all member countries that an arrest warrant was issued by one of the member nations and advising them to be on the lookout for that person. Just another example of the ineffectiveness of Interpol, well documented when they were incapable of finding war criminals for several years when reporters found them within a few days.

Japan has issued an arrest warrant for him, and has not rescinded it. They don't just expire or just go away, regardless of whether you recognize them as a "legitimate authority" or not. They can and do arrest and try people for crimes.

You can quibble all you like, but when virtually every country and internet source, including Wikipedia, calls Watson a terrorist, that's close enough for me.

The people who bomb abortion clinics don't think they are terrorists either, but bombing innocent people is pretty much the hallmark of terrorists, worldwide.
Old 19-10-2014, 18:44   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You are correct, a Red Notice is not an arrest warrant. It is a notice to all member countries that an arrest warrant was issued by one of the member nations and advising them to be on the lookout for that person. Just another example of the ineffectiveness of Interpol, well documented when they were incapable of finding war criminals for several years when reporters found them within a few days.

Japan has issued an arrest warrant for him, and has not rescinded it. They don't just expire or just go away, regardless of whether you recognize them as a "legitimate authority" or not. They can and do arrest and try people for crimes.

You can quibble all you like, but when virtually every country and internet source, including Wikipedia, calls Watson a terrorist, that's close enough for me.

The people who bomb abortion clinics don't think they are terrorists either, but bombing innocent people is pretty much the hallmark of terrorists, worldwide.
Nor has Costa Rica, despite Watson's claims. I don't understand how ANY sailor can condone his and his crew's actions that endanger other sailors lives on the high seas. That in itself is criminal.
Old 19-10-2014, 18:49   #86

Quote:
a Red Notice does not necessarily mean another country has issued an arrest warrant. N20120914 / 2012 / News / News and media / Internet / Home - INTERPOL

It can mean that, but just by reason of a Red Notice does not mean one has been issued. Has Japan issued an arrest warrant? I don't know and I've not seen any reference that they would. Would they arrest him if he set foot in their country, probably. But then so would the US arrest Snowden despite saying there is no 'current' arrest warrant out for him.

At no time have I suggested that Japan does not have any legit authority. And that's no quibbling.

Wikipedia has not called Watson a Terrorist! they have simply referred to articles of others calling him a 'terrorist' which I've addressed. Just because joe bloggs calls someone a terrorists does not make them a 'terrorist'.

People who bomb abortion clinics, are by definition a terrorist. I'm certainly not going to dispute that. so we agree on something
Old 19-10-2014, 18:52   #87

Quote:
Nor has Costa Rica, despite Watson's claims. I don't understand how ANY sailor can condone his and his crew's actions that endanger other sailors lives on the high seas. That in itself is criminal.
I don't understand how any sailor can support the illegal whaling in protected waters either. yet alone defend those who do.

Nor do I understand how any sailor can support a country (Costa Rica) that is heavily involved in poaching.
Old 19-10-2014, 19:07   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I don't understand how any sailor can support the illegal whaling in protected waters either. yet alone defend those who do.

Nor do I understand how any sailor can support a country (Costa Rica) that is heavily involved in poaching.
One does not have to condone whaling to be disgusted with the illegal and dangerous antics of Watson and his hanger ons at sea. He is in contravention of COLREGS in so many ways.

Watson needs to serve time, except some will view him as a martyr. He would like that. Being viewed as a martyr I mean. Yes he is a criminal, and his actions do mirror terrorist activities.

I still would be interested as to how he got a passport though. Germany seized his Canadian one, and I can't imagine Canada issuing him a replacement. The current government wants nothing to do with him and his ilk.
Old 19-10-2014, 19:27   #89

Quote:

Japan, Norway and Iceland ALL decided to continue whaling under a provision in the treaty which allows the capture of whales for research purposes. I wish they had not provided that loophole, but they did, and it was NOT illegal.
Old 19-10-2014, 19:40   #90

Quote:
Exactly.
Closed Thread