Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2014, 00:37   #106

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: New Sea Shepherd vessel and shes a beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Now am I the only one who doesn't think that passport would be recognized internationally?

Seems that Rustic Charm's information may have been in error. Perhaps check your sources?? Are they credible, reliable and honest?
I was quoting an article in the Sydney Morning Herald, so who knows if it's reliable. It's what was reported at the time and he freely entered Australia and then later the U.S. freely without any hindered efforts, so he clearly has a passport from some where.
Old 21-10-2014, 01:35   #107

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I can usually grab a garbage bag full of mylar balloons on a day sail around LA harbor. I wonder if I can call my boat a research vessel?

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-10-2014, 00:40   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I can usually grab a garbage bag full of mylar balloons on a day sail around LA harbor. I wonder if I can call my boat a research vessel?

I don't know if that would be an RV or GV
Old 22-10-2014, 08:31   #109

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post

You can call her an RV if you pick up the latex ones.
Old 26-10-2014, 14:10   #110

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Originally Posted by barnaclejim It surprises me how many boat and sea lovers on this forum react with disdain towards an organization that seeks to protect marine wildlife and the life of the oceans in general. I have lived on or near the sea my whole life and in a short 50 years have seen the decline in fish and the mountains of floating trash and plastic and abandoned nets that kill most everything in its wake. But as a species we are really a bunch of selfish ********. I expect more from seamen.

Thing is, Jim, there are a lot of people on this site who have never stepped off the shore, let alone spent most of their life sharing the ocean with some of the Earth's most beautiful creatures. Those of us that have had that privilege naturally develop strong feelings, the others just parrot what they hear on TV. Sea Shepard dont care what they think, they just get out there.
Old 26-10-2014, 14:26   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
Originally Posted by barnaclejim It surprises me how many boat and sea lovers on this forum react with disdain towards an organization that seeks to protect marine wildlife and the life of the oceans in general. I have lived on or near the sea my whole life and in a short 50 years have seen the decline in fish and the mountains of floating trash and plastic and abandoned nets that kill most everything in its wake. But as a species we are really a bunch of selfish ********. I expect more from seamen.

Thing is, Jim, there are a lot of people on this site who have never stepped off the shore, let alone spent most of their life sharing the ocean with some of the Earth's most beautiful creatures. Those of us that have had that privilege naturally develop strong feelings, the others just parrot what they hear on TV. Sea Shepard dont care what they think, they just get out there.
The idiot Watson is the problem.
Old 26-10-2014, 14:29   #112

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Cadence

Boat: None

think the "boat; none" sums this up
Old 26-10-2014, 14:38   #113
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
A joke because, in spite of spending every summer the last ten years steaming round the southern ocean, the Japanese are still able to kill hundreds of whales a year, often in full view of Sea Shepherd vessels. A joke because for all their big talk of being 'pirates' and 'ready to die to save whales' the worst they often do is throw bottles of acid on the decks of the whaling ships, or steer in front of the ships so they can say on camera how they were rammed. A joke because they call themselves environmentalists yet burn thousands of tonnes of fuel a year and regularly dump dozens of bucketfuls of nylon rope in to the relatively unpolluted Antarctic ocean knowing full well that it makes good television but is totally ineffective at entangling the propellors of the whaling ships. A joke because they have proven time and time again that the biggest danger to their lives is their own poor seamanship and undisciplined, amateurish command structure rather than the Japanese
i think the only folks who take sea shepherd seriously are sea shepherd and their misguided and politically correct crews.
Old 26-10-2014, 14:43   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Cadence

I don't see how. It does not say "never owned one" or "never been sailing" now does it?

Coops.
Old 26-10-2014, 14:49   #115

Quote:
Cadence

You're about rude. Been on the water since 4 that only make it 67 yrs.

You can speak when you get that much time. Until then put a sock in it. Go crew with Watson if you think he is a hero.
Old 26-10-2014, 14:58   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I don't see how. It does not say "never owned one" or "never been sailing" now does it?

Coops.
Thanks coops.
Old 26-10-2014, 17:13   #117

Quote:

This is Ted,
Old 26-10-2014, 17:25   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i think the only folks who take sea shepherd seriously are sea shepherd and their misguided and politically correct crews.
I can understand people thinking this but in reality, whilst they may have a lot of those who are apposed to their work, they clearly have 'significant' supporters.

There was an attempt in Tasmania to have the capital city named as their home city. It drew significant support.

The Republic of Guatemala (Navy and Sea Fisheries) sought and worked together with Sea Shepherd in their attempts to stop poaching.

Sea Shepherd has the practical and financial support of enough people that it has not only kept Sea Shepherd afloat, but increased it's work in many different areas.

And the Japanese Government clearly takes them seriously too, crediting Sea Shepherd with almost breaking their whaling industry and accusing the Australian Government (erroneously of course) of working together with Sea Shepherd against the Japanese.

So, I think, 'your thinking' is plainly in error. Thank goodness. Because if it wasn't for this organisation of 'pollitictially correct crews' (what ever that means), a number of whales would be on the endangered list and there wouldn't be any blue fin tuna.
Old 26-10-2014, 17:30   #119
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

It totally sucks that a real problem like plastics in the food chain becomes some political issue.
Old 26-10-2014, 17:45   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
It totally sucks that a real problem like plastics in the food chain becomes some political issue.
I wholeheartedly agree with you, but, lets also keep in mind that the large commercial pillaging of fauna are also 'the real problem'. anyone who does not recognise that need to get their bum out of a lounge seat and out on their boats and into the oceans' more.

And of course the warming of the ocean's due to the impact of mankind is also a 'real problem' too. Though, many don't believe that's happening at all.
Closed Thread