Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 16:42   #286
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Leopard 46 lost in French Polynesia - stunning rescue pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

This is just another computer-assisted grounding, failure to keep an effective watch, and failure to allow sea room to a charted hazard, Huahine's fringe reef.

Ann
WRT this aspect, here is another event just waiting to happen (notably post #15)
Chart Symbol explanation - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 14:57   #287

Boat: a sailing boat

Having grown up using paper charts and piloting skills on the coast, I am less certain that paper charts and such like memorabilia have much to do with one's navigating skills.

I believe other factors are far more guiding. E.g. one's general level of common sense, of spatial orientation. Maybe also the way one acquired their nav skills - in a school, sailing, over a longer period, or none of the above.

Some factors, like spatial sense and good sense, we are born with. And they can be honed and improved, but only given that one sees any need for such. To me it seems most people today do not. Just look around and watch people texting and crossing the street.

The other thing, how we actually acquire our nav skills is something we have more control over. Doing ASA courses then buying the biggest plotter on the market is not quite an equivalent of studying navigation from the bottom up and then choosing the best tool for the job at hand.

Whatever. End of my summer, pre-boatyard, rant. If we want to make this world a better place, we can take a look at ourselves then make a change.

Love to all ya,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 17:33   #288

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I believe other factors are far more guiding. E.g. one's general level of common sense, of spatial orientation. Maybe also the way one acquired their nav skills - in a school, sailing, over a longer period, or none of the above.

b.
I'm pretty sure the Leopard's skipper has excellent spatial orientation skills, as he is/was a commercial pilot.
Old 13-08-2017, 18:03   #289

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

I read all postings and cannot find if any one has posted/seen a paper chart to compare with the electronic ,basically,will a paper chart could have prevented this tragedy?
thanks
David
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 18:12   #290

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I'm pretty sure the Leopard's skipper has excellent spatial orientation skills, as he is/was a commercial pilot.
I would hazard a guess that a P/Pilot vfr would be less likely to believe his electronic charts than the above commercial pilot by the mere fact of amount of use.
Then I got My PPL when plotters were still a winkle in some ones eye.
Conversely, not believing ones instruments nearly got me lost on vfr once
owing to severe sunstrike.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 18:40   #291

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, davil,

There was one post in the beginning few pages of this thread, where someone posted 3 pictures, one of the Navionics chart, one of C-Maps, and one of the French chart for the area.

After that, estarzinger started testing the Navionics on different tablets, and discovered that in some cases, the Navionics chart was displayed in a very misleading manner. Subsequently, he reported it to Navionics, and they have put out a new app that is reported to fix it. I know that's not a for sure deal, but if you're concerned, take the time to go back, carefully, through the thread, what you need to know is buried in there somewhere.

Use of either C-maps or a paper chart could have prevented this. It was the lack of sea room that really did them in.

Ann
Old 13-08-2017, 18:57   #292

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

oooops!!!!
missed them
thank you Ann
always learning from mistakes
most times mine,in this case not.
Agree,too close to the reef,electronic charts or paper made no difference.
Sadly
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 01:24   #293

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon

Last I've seen they are all enjoying themselves in NZ (and good on them!). I do hope they take full responsibility for all the plastic they left on the reef. Have they just left? Would they be allowed to leave before they arrange a proper clean-up?
Old 15-08-2017, 03:58   #294

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmasailor View Post
Last I've seen they are all enjoying themselves in NZ (and good on them!). I do hope they take full responsibility for all the plastic they left on the reef. Have they just left? Would they be allowed to leave before they arrange a proper clean-up?

Read back a few blog posts about this- they've had to pay nearly 40K to have boat inspected for environmental readiness, and then towed to deep water and sunk. They seem very environmentally conscious and in their blog lament the damage their boat has caused.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 07:39   #295

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon

Ah, I missed that bit. Not sure if sinking a couple of tons of plastic won't add to the plastic soup. I hope the wreck or will be removed in a responsible manner and that it wil go further than the inspection only.
Old 15-08-2017, 14:48   #296

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Ah, I missed that bit. Not sure if sinking a couple of tons of plastic won't add to the plastic soup. I hope the wreck or will be removed in a responsible manner and that it wil go further than the inspection only.

Agree completely. Will slowly break down and add to the soup. Not sure what else can be done short of missing the reef in first place

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 14:55   #297

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:

My understanding is that they sink the hull and rig (not sure why the owners didn't remove the rig - plenty of expensive bits there) with several tons of added iron weight several miles offshore. Fibreglass doesn't breakdown like plastic, so it will become an inert reef in several thousand metres of depth.

The company that is doing the removal of the wreck from the reef and sinking it is responsible for removing any remaining floating/polluting items (including I suppose pumping tanks). That's part of their contract.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 15:04   #298

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, to remove the mast, you'd pretty much have to have a very large barge boat, with a crane with a very large reach. It would be difficult in any event to avoid further damage to the reef.

Perhaps, they had "cleanup insurance", that covered what will be done, and decided to donate the mast to the local economy. I would not expect us to be able to get all the gory details.

Ann
Old 15-08-2017, 15:10   #299

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Well, to remove the mast, you'd pretty much have to have a very large barge boat, with a crane with a very large reach. It would be difficult in any event to avoid further damage to the reef.

Perhaps, they had "cleanup insurance", that covered what will be done, and decided to donate the mast to the local economy. I would not expect us to be able to get all the gory details.

Ann

Good point re: removing the mast. Though they must have some sort of crane to move the wreck off the reef and onto a barge.

No insurance, but that's what the fee to the removal company is for. If there was anything left on the boat after the owners finished, the removal company would surely remove anything of value that they can. It would be interesting to see what they do.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 15:22   #300

I would have thot someone would have had the mast rigging sails etc , q possible to remove without a crane if it is deck stepped .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, French Polynesia, leopard, leopard 46, lost, rescue