Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2016, 09:03   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Hurricane holes in Dominic Republic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Sparrow View Post
I have read that bloq and of course it is very good info over there. Thank you

I would cruise from Puerto Rico to Domenican Rep. So first place on my list would be Isola Saona on East-South side of the Island. Than Punta Cana,Bavaro, Samana, Puerto Plata, Luperon and going west to Cuba.

Do you know any marina west from Luperon with fuel dock ?

Also what VHF chanel broadcast weather info in this area and is it in English or just Spanish??
Samana is also very nice. Don't miss the national park on the south side of the bay at Bahia de Lorenzo. Spectacular! I hear good things about the marina at Punta Cana, too, but I have not been there.

I don't think there's anything west of Luperon on the north coast. As others have stated, the nearest real fuel dock is at Puerto Plata, which is a bit east of Luperon.

As for marine weather broadcasts on VHF, I am not aware of any. My suggestion would be to get (if you don't already have one) a short-wave receiver and listen to Chris Parker's daily broadcast on 4045 and 8157, which begins at 0600 AST. He's very good.
Old 31-05-2016, 09:05   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: VZ 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
"Patience" is a necessity when checking in and out of the DR. I also suggest a large bag of change to have on board so if they start asking for more than you are willing to give for "Propina" (Tip), you can say; "I don't have anymore money". When they balk and if they issues small threats as is done sometimes, you simply go down below, fetch the change bag, and start counting it out in front of them. This will usually cause a speedy departure. For first timers to the DR, you don't want to fight with the officials. It's a no win situation you are stepping into.
Good to know their check in-out "habbits"
Can I do check in in Isola Samana, South-East side of DR?
Did you visit or see any marinas, fuel docks in west from Luperon like Monte Cristi area or any close to Haiti?
Jack_Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 09:09   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can check in at Samana.
Old 31-05-2016, 09:10   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Samana is also very nice. Don't miss the national park on the south side of the bay at Bahia de Lorenzo. Spectacular! I hear good things about the marina at Punta Cana, too, but I have not been there.
I will check it for sure

Quote:
I don't think there's anything west of Luperon on the north coast. As others have stated, the nearest real fuel dock is at Puerto Plata, which is a bit east of Luperon.
I would be on my way west with a power boat so need to secure myself after Luperon or Puerto Plata.

Quote:
As for marine weather broadcasts on VHF, I am not aware of any. My suggestion would be to get (if you don't already have one) a short-wave receiver and listen to Chris Parker's daily broadcast on 4045 and 8157, which begins at 0600 AST. He's very good.

That is very helpful, thank you. I quess he broadcasts in English ?
Old 31-05-2016, 09:14   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDScott View Post
Here is the link about Luperon. Great little place with wonderful people Trio Travels
Thank you
Old 31-05-2016, 09:40   #21

Boat: CSY44 Pilothouse

For weather, when you are cruising, I suggest that you check out Chris Parker. He broadcasts weather on the SSB and you can pretty well receive his signal in the entire Caribbean. You can find his web site on Google: Chris Parker Weather.
Henk Koornstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 09:55   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I will check it for sure

I would be on my way west with a power boat so need to secure myself after Luperon or Puerto Plata.

That is very helpful, thank you. I quess he broadcasts in English ?
Yes, absolutely. He is second to none. You can look him up online and "subscribe" for personal forecasts if you wish. His service is called Marine Weather Service, I believe.
Old 31-05-2016, 11:11   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk Koornstra View Post
For weather, when you are cruising, I suggest that you check out Chris Parker. He broadcasts weather on the SSB and you can pretty well receive his signal in the entire Caribbean. You can find his web site on Google: Chris Parker Weather.
I belive this is his www https://www.mwxc.com/marine_weather_services.php

Looks like sth I need. Now I need to study how to work with that as easy as possible. Thanks a LOT
Old 31-05-2016, 11:27   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I belive this is his www https://www.mwxc.com/marine_weather_services.php

Looks like sth I need. Now I need to study how to work with that as easy as possible. Thanks a LOT
It's nice to have the personalized forecasts that go with a subscription, but you can listen for free, in any case.

One thing: he often will not start the broadcast until several minutes after the hour -- sometimes as long as 10 minutes. So, if you only hear static at 0600, don't assume you can't receive him. He'll start each broadcast out with a call for "emergency or priority traffic" and, if hearing none (the norm), will proceed to a region by region synopsis, starting in the southern end of the Windward Islands chain and then moving north. He will give a specific outlook for the north coast of DR.
Old 31-05-2016, 11:42   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
It's nice to have the personalized forecasts that go with a subscription, but you can listen for free, in any case.

One thing: he often will not start the broadcast until several minutes after the hour -- sometimes as long as 10 minutes. So, if you only hear static at 0600, don't assume you can't receive him. He'll start each broadcast out with a call for "emergency or priority traffic" and, if hearing none (the norm), will proceed to a region by region synopsis, starting in the southern end of the Windward Islands chain and then moving north. He will give a specific outlook for the north coast of DR.
Very good info thank you. Can you tell me what websites, apps, other sources do you use to check weather forecasts? Hurricane season already starts so would like to have few different forecasts
Old 31-05-2016, 12:13   #26

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Noaa, stormcarib for good sat pics...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 12:17   #27

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

My suggestion, if you are going to leave Luperon for PR, you can make a pitt stop at Samana for weather or rest, but in any case don't stay in the DR out of Luperon far in the season,,,, there is not good holes in the NE coast despite some folks claim Samana its something to consider,PR in the other hand have few good spots in case of storm threat....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 12:25   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
My suggestion, if you are going to leave Luperon for PR, you can make a pitt stop at Samana for weather or rest, but in any case don't stay in the DR out of Luperon far in the season,,,, there is not good holes in the NE coast despite some folks claim Samana its something to consider,PR in the other hand have few good spots in case of storm threat....
My trip should start Sunday from USVI through Puerto Rico, Dominican Rep., Haiti, Cuba, Key West, FL. I do not want it make longer than 6-8 weeks. For a hurricane I would stay FL.
Old 31-05-2016, 12:25   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Very good info thank you. Can you tell me what websites, apps, other sources do you use to check weather forecasts? Hurricane season already starts so would like to have few different forecasts
I use PocketGRIB on my iphone. Also like passageweather http://www.passageweather.com/and Windfinder https://www.windfinder.com/. Also, recent convert to Windyty https://www.windyty.com/?17.117,-61.850,4
Old 31-05-2016, 12:28   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Noaa, stormcarib for good sat pics...
I have checked NOAA and stormcarib before and this one look very soli and it was very recomended by some locals RabirubiaWeather - RBRWx.com . Just want to have as much good sources as I can

Tags
hurricane