Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 17:17   #1

Boat: Pearson P30
Any one here ever singlehand when they don't want to?

Any one here ever get forced to singled hand? I will not do it. (Non-emergency),

Vince
S/V Flatline
P-30 No. 280
P30Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 17:21   #2

Boat: Olson 34
Re: Any one here ever singlehand when they don't want to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P30Dude View Post
Any one here ever get forced to singled hand? I will not do it. (Non-emergency),

Vince
S/V Flatline
P-30 No. 280
Yes, sort of. I was delivering my boat back to San Francisco from Kauai after a solo race over. I had a crew for the return. She fell in the first few hours and had to be taken to Kauai. I then sailed back as crew were not readily available.

Brian
brianb00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 17:41   #3

Boat: Pearson P30

I should rephrase: when you felt you were not ready; tired, newbie, boat not ready....etc

Vince
S/V Flatline
P-30 No. 280
P30Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 17:52   #4

Ya man, when I was in college (say about 22) I had a summer job driving a 40 passenger private ferry to a yacht club on an island. The distance was just over a mile but I had to do it day and night (until the bar closed down at about 2 or 3). I would do something like a dozen docking in a shift. You'd have to pull up, run up the stairs, throw a spring line on, then back to the helm position.

The club managers didn't see any need for 2 crew on a 35' ferry, so the skipper was alone all the time. Including high winds, lightning storms, even snow. The dicier the weather, the less likely you were to even have a passenger help you. It was really dangerous when I look back on it and I wasn't much of a boat driver yet at 22.

I can't remember if I did the job for 2 or 3 years, but by the end of that time I never had any concerns about single handing again.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 18:16   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Familyvan, One crew is pretty standard for that size water taxi and number of pax.....
Used to do it all the time in the Port of Vancouver.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 18:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Familyvan, One crew is pretty standard for that size water taxi and number of pax.....
Used to do it all the time in the Port of Vancouver.
I know, I wasn't under the impression I had done something unique or special.

I believe in the last 5 years or so TC has tried to put an end to the practice by exercising the minimum safe manning matrix.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 18:53   #7

You will never be ready till you have done it a while. The first thing i did when i got my rig was start singlehanding. I love to sail with others especially those that i can learn from. But i continue to singlehand every chance i have. That way if i ever HAVE to it wont be such a big deal.
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 20:38   #8

Boat: Freedom 38

I used to say I'd never sail in fog. Ever try to not do that around northern California? I first sailed on the Chesapeake and use to say that I'd never want to be out in winds above 20 knots. Ever try to not do that on San Francisco Bay? Being a single person also means that sometimes I sail solo, or I sit by the dock and wait for others. Being "forced to do it" seems a little harsh. Instead, consider not doing it as a limitation on your options. That seems like a waste of good sailing weather to me

(And I was petrified about sailing solo when I first bought the boat. Was a newbie sailor, too. Squeezing outside that comfort box is never a bad thing.)
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 21:08   #9

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

My current boat is the first shaft drive inboard I've owned (or operated). I bought it interstate and had it trucked over. Since the marina I organized a berth at didn't have facilities to offload the boat, this was done about 20 km away.

Due to delays in standing the mast etc, my planned sailing partner wasn't available, and weather was getting ugly.
I still decided to make the short run solo; motoring into a 20-30 knot headwind and 6 foot messy swell and the weather progressively got worse. I was relieved when I entered my new marina, thinking the job was all done - but the fun had just begun.

The first docking attempt was fairly good, but I wasn't quick enough to tie of and was blown off the finger. Things got worse after that. After reversing out and almost sideswiping my new dock neighbor, I tried to regroup for another attempt but was blown sideways down the fairway, missing protruding anchors by inches. On about the 5th or 6th attempt I finally got into he berth an tied off.

Many lessons learned.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 22:52   #10

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Singel ahnding is outside the comfort zone for everyone, until they have done it. Practice it sometime whenthe weather gods are smiling and you have lots of space to dock. After a while you don't think about it much

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:23   #11

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

We have a guy on our dock who takes out his Beneteau First out at least five days a week all year long single-handed. He races with crew and he isn't opposed to having crew the other times but if no crew he just goes out. He goes out in very stiff breezes. His boat is just right to be able to jump out and tie a spring on when he comes in. Very hardy sailor. He wins a fair amount of races. And he is on the north side of 70 yo. I would go out singlehanded on my boat, if nothing else to motor around but getting back in to the slip is my biggest hurdle without crew. My wife and I double-handed across the Pacific without a problem.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
We have a guy on our dock who takes out his Beneteau First out at least five days a week all year long single-handed. He races with crew and he isn't opposed to having crew the other times but if no crew he just goes out. He goes out in very stiff breezes. His boat is just right to be able to jump out and tie a spring on when he comes in. Very hardy sailor. He wins a fair amount of races. And he is on the north side of 70 yo. I would go out singlehanded on my boat, if nothing else to motor around but getting back in to the slip is my biggest hurdle without crew. My wife and I double-handed across the Pacific without a problem.
I do this all the time, same MO, I'll be 70 in December! Haven't done the last sentence, though.

Singlehanding is fun, and you need to know how to use a midship spring line.

Single Handing 101.2 HOPPING OFF THE BOAT IS UNNECESSARY
single handing
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:08   #13

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The key to singlehand is caution and planning. Don't do anything that will hurt you or put you over the side and plan all your movements. I do this boat all the time, but don't dock in high winds or current. I'm not handling sails, so rarely go on deck when running offshore.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:29   #14

Boat: Vancouver 27

The gelcoat scraps along my hull testify to many successful solo docking attempts Solo docking is usually preferred as there is no one to yell at if something goes wrong. Also no over-zealous dockhands dictating what should be done. Face docks are awesome.

This will surely show my ineptitude, but I've never understood the paramount importance of spring lines? Probably been said before by many a sorry soul, but hey. Maybe because my boat is 27' and it's easy to jump off with both a stern line and a bow line led aft in hand? That and my boat rarely exceeds the dimensions of the slip it's placed in.

My midship cleat is tapped into the teak toerail and not thru-bolted, so I much prefer to stop any momentum with the stern line.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:42   #15

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Not sure what you are asking. You mean if someone asks you to sail a boat by yourself? I have singlehanded often when I didn't expect to because my crew got sick and/or tired. If you have to you don't have a choice of course. I think you should prepare for it.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single