Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2018, 04:24   #631

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

"without previously doing any type of work with tools"
apart from the usual handicraft works & boy-projects (assembling model-cars,...) & taking my 50cc moped engine apart several times with 16, 17 years of age nothing that comes to my mind. I built a 5m boat first to "see how it goes" & then just excessive focussing, application & work, work work (took me 4300 or so hours to build the damn thing...)
so maybe my damning verdict of those two words-fail-me is more understandable...
Old 22-02-2018, 04:29   #632

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_sail View Post
Encouraging news: they have changed the GoFundMe again to say the first thing they'll do is salvage the boat.

Any update from the locals on if there has been any activity in that regard?

Attachment 164599

Looks like GoFundMe may have had a few words with them
Old 22-02-2018, 04:31   #633

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Looks like GoFundMe may have had a few words with them

My guess too. Changing the gofundme description is easy though. Let's see if they follow through....
Old 22-02-2018, 04:33   #634

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

In the US, people in their early 30s and younger aren't doing handicraft or boy projects (I don't you can even say boy projects in America anymore). That s what the marketing department at Home Depot found out and they started producing educational videos on how to use a measuring tape or a hammer.

I don't hate on these two for running aground, I've done it too.

I don't hate on these two for breaking the keel bolts (maintenance issue) I've screwed up that way too, on and off boats.

If they don't clean up their mess then yea I can see having issues with them
Old 22-02-2018, 04:51   #635

Great message in Double U's post. "In 1975.... " Yup, people were more resourceful when it came to solving problems then, and had a long enough attention span that they could absorb and retain complicated facts etc that became life skills. Had the two dolts spent a while reading on this forum alone I suspect they would have had a better outcome. From keel inspections and repair to budgeting. Who the hell leaves on ANY extended trip with only $90? If they hadn't grounded out, they'd be broke within a few days. OTOH, you can't really ask for GoFundMe without a sob story, even if self inflicted. Anyone heard directly from these two? They have the cash to clear their wreck. They were offered little/no cost salvage help early on too. We had to deal with a large derelict cabin cruiser sunk over winter freeze up at the tiny club I belonged to. Dragged it out with payloaders for $$ and it sat on the hard for 2 years before we had to dispose of it for more $$. Another dream done, at someone else's expense.
Old 22-02-2018, 04:56   #636

"at someone else's expense."
& exactly to that I object so much to!!! (maybe this "landlife" just grates too much on me, this "social net" as they call it, that catches everybody (not only the unfortunate, the idiots & shirkers too!!!...), & at people like me's expense!)
Old 22-02-2018, 05:00   #637
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymaxion View Post
Great message in Double U's post. "In 1975.... " Yup, people were more resourceful when it came to solving problems then, and had a long enough attention span that they could absorb and retain complicated facts etc that became life skills. Had the two dolts spent a while reading on this forum alone I suspect they would have had a better outcome. From keel inspections and repair to budgeting. Who the hell leaves on ANY extended trip with only $90? If they hadn't grounded out, they'd be broke within a few days. OTOH, you can't really ask for GoFundMe without a sob story, even if self inflicted. Anyone heard directly from these two? They have the cash to clear their wreck. They were offered little/no cost salvage help early on too. We had to deal with a large derelict cabin cruiser sunk over winter freeze up at the tiny club I belonged to. Dragged it out with payloaders for $$ and it sat on the hard for 2 years before we had to dispose of it for more $$. Another dream done, at someone else's expense.
Gotta hold my hand up to that.. well it was just under £200 in my pocket and zero assets (apart from the boat) to get a Hunter37c from Oriental to the UK.. so it can be done.
But.. it does involve some pre knowledge..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 22-02-2018, 05:06   #638

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
In the US, people in their early 30s and younger aren't doing handicraft or boy projects (I don't you can even say boy projects in America anymore). That s what the marketing department at Home Depot found out and they started producing educational videos on how to use a measuring tape or a hammer
Not to veer things off again, but I think the total lack of support or respect for the trades has something to do with it. When I was in High School (I'm 32), they cut both our auto and wood shop classes. The unspoken message seemed to be: "if you don't go to college: you're dirt, the trades are for druggies and immigrants".

Having spent some time in Germany, I know they take a very different attitude towards the trades and it shows.

Chris Rock has a bit about high school orientation BS:

“I want you children to know you can be anything you wanna be. You can be absolutely anything you wanna be.” I’m like, “Lady, why are you lying to these children?” Maybe four of them could be anything they wanna be. But the other 2,000 better learn how to weld.
Old 22-02-2018, 05:37   #639

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

"Who the hell leaves on ANY extended trip with only $90?"

Let's be fair; they were on a short sail to anchor for the night. They say their plans were to sail to Key West and work for a while to stockpile money before leaving.
Old 22-02-2018, 05:42   #640
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreblePlink View Post

Let's be fair; they were on a short sail to anchor for the night. They say their plans were to sail to Key West and work for a while to stockpile money before leaving.
Not everyone is rich. Some people don't even have $90. Many have much more debt than they have assets.
Old 22-02-2018, 06:02   #641

it all boils down to THE fundmental question:
is anything anybody's fault, or are we all just instinct-driven machines?
Old 22-02-2018, 06:11   #642
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Failure = Fault.. if they'd succeeded the CF Bards would be singing saga's..
No different to crime really.. your only a criminal if your caught..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 22-02-2018, 07:40   #643

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
not even close there are many that have well over 5000 posts and at 15 to the page that's well over 330 pages .l
it seems that have a ways to go! On the other hand, I feel confident that the salvage and GoFundMe issues will provide some fodder.
Old 22-02-2018, 07:51   #644

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymaxion View Post
Anyone heard directly from these two?
Tanner set up a FaceBook page and I sent a friend request. I also messaged him roughly two days ago. I wished him well and told him I was glad he wants to continue to pursue the dream. I also asked him how the salvage was going.

I will keep everyone posted but so far I have not heard back from him. Given that he and his girlfriend lost everything including their boat/home, I would not be surprised if they are a little overwhelmed with things.
Old 22-02-2018, 08:14   #645

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreblePlink View Post

Treble, thanks for sticking to the subject and providing the facts. I love how most on here are complaining that the two didn't know their stuff, but will gladly comment without getting the facts straight or staying on topic.
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size