Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2018, 07:58   #451

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
The video linked above, the reporter says at the end that the couple is trying to figure out how to pay for removal of the boat, which is "expected to cost $6,700"

Their Gofundme account has $16,000 plus now.

It appears they came out ahead, or may profit.
What is Go fund me? I am wondering because my boat is stuck in Panama with a dead engine and I have been trying to get her home to Canada since 2011. Made the first 10,000 miles but then got stuffed coming through the canal. Maybe they can help me
Old 15-02-2018, 08:24   #452
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
What is Go fund me? I am wondering because my boat is stuck in Panama with a dead engine and I have been trying to get her home to Canada since 2011. Made the first 10,000 miles but then got stuffed coming through the canal. Maybe they can help me
Go Here.. https://www.gofundme.com/
Tell your story and your problems, set a target figure then trust that enough people find your tale/experience moving enough to help you financially by donating a few dollars to your cause..

You can't beat a people up for 75yrs+ and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient.. and Politicians NEVER bite the hand that feeds their ambitions.
Old 15-02-2018, 08:27   #453

[QUOTE=thruska;2577495]Getting back to the subject of the keel. Has anyone any definitive info as to whether it’s off or not ?

Looks as though it isn't there any longer from this pic:
Old 15-02-2018, 08:36   #454
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

[QUOTE=Uncle G;2577794]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Getting back to the subject of the keel. Has anyone any definitive info as to whether it’s off or not ?

Love to hear what their surveyor wrote about their keel in his report.
Old 15-02-2018, 09:00   #455

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

[QUOTE=Uncle G;2577794]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Getting back to the subject of the keel. Has anyone any definitive info as to whether it’s off or not ?

That shot is the clearest yet showing the keel gone. The part visible is the stub that the lead is bolted to.
Old 15-02-2018, 09:06   #456
cruiser

Instead filling their pockets with money on gofundme people should buy them navigational classes. i bet they could not read charts let alone calculate tides.
Old 15-02-2018, 09:27   #457

Anyone know if they had been in contact with the bridge controller to have the bridge opened? I imagine that their air draft would probably have been more than 28'.
You would think that the bridge controller could have told them that they were drifting out of the channel. Or maybe I've misinterpreted the scale of that chart and they were still a way offshore?

Old 15-02-2018, 09:28   #458

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Go Here.. https://www.gofundme.com/
Tell your story and your problems, set a target figure then trust that enough people find your tale/experience moving enough to help you financially by donating a few dollars to your cause..
Something like this should be moving enough:

I am a very sick sailor. My first mate is typing this for me, because I can't. The reason I can’t is because I was born without a body. The doctors gave me an artificial body; a burlap bag filled with leaves. The doctors said that was the best they could do on account of us havin' no money or insurance, not even SeaTow. I would like to have a body transplant, but we need more money.

One time I had a proper sea cat with six toes, but it kept using my burlap body as a litter box. Then the rest of the crew started using it as a composting head. Eventually my leaves rotted away. It doesn't hurt, except when I gybe.

You can help me by going to GoFundMe. Dr. Van Nostrem from the clinic said if you link your blog to my funding request, then Halberg-Rassy will sell me a boat at cost that has a built in artificial body that lets me gybe without rolling to the leeward side.

Please help me. The first mate is so sad, and I want to gybe properly. If you don't link your blog to my GoFundMe page, that's OK. The Mate says you're a mean, heartless power boater who doesn't care about a captain with only a head. She says that you probably leave a big wake while ignoring the no wake sign.

Please help me. This really sucks. I try to be happy but it's hard.

Thank You.

The sailor with just a head.

Old 15-02-2018, 09:31   #459

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle G View Post
Anyone know if they had been in contact with the bridge controller to have the bridge opened? I imagine that their air draft would probably have been more than 28'.
You would think that the bridge controller could have told them that they were drifting out of the channel. Or maybe I've misinterpreted the scale of that chart and they were still a way offshore?

Per the original article, it was night and there was limited visibility. The bridge owner may not have been able to see them. The fog was, according to them, rolling in also, but we don't know the extent of the fog when they grounded.
Old 15-02-2018, 09:57   #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Per the original article, it was night and there was limited visibility. The bridge owner may not have been able to see them. The fog was, according to them, rolling in also, but we don't know the extent of the fog when they grounded.
I assumed that the bridge control would have radar - but I've had a look at images online and can't see a scanner anywhere, so maybe not. Apparently it operates 24hours, so I'd have thought that there would be some way for them to be aware of what's approaching the bridge at night.
Old 15-02-2018, 11:23   #461

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmagistro View Post
Who is that through? ? Comprehensive through BoatUS was quoted at $1300/year....which I simply couldn't justify. But $277 is very reasonable.
My insurance is thru USAA with co-operation thru Progressive. USAA does not cover boats on the water, only boats on trailers (which mine is on its trailer half the year) located at your home. They did some trickery here to give me a better rate. I have a home owners policy(USAA) with umbrella coverage on everything above 1M that covers me under any circumstances. The comprehensive part is thru Progressive which covers natural disasters, vandalism, and uninsured boater. I did not need a survey, just an agreed on price of 16K.
Old 15-02-2018, 11:40   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post

Best response yet!!!
Old 15-02-2018, 11:41   #463
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

USAA owners tend to forget that USAA is not open to tte general public. They only sell to current and former US military members (5-10% of the general population) and their immediate families.

So while the company and the rates mey be great...for 90% of the country, USAA does not exist.
Old 15-02-2018, 12:00   #464

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
USAA owners tend to forget that USAA is not open to tte general public. They only sell to current and former US military members (5-10% of the general population) and their immediate families.

So while the company and the rates mey be great...for 90% of the country, USAA does not exist.

The insurance you get through USAA for boats is from Progressive insurance.

Also, if a rate is significantly different, check the coverage. You generally do get a big rate break for no claims, and having multiple types of insurance through the same company.

It should also be noted that it's difficult to compare rates in different locations due to state rules and different boating seasons. Florida insurance may cost more because the boating season is longer, for example, and you'll have a very high deductible for named storms.
Old 15-02-2018, 12:42   #465

Boat: Westerly Sealord

[QUOTE=Don C L;2577813]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle G View Post

That shot is the clearest yet showing the keel gone. The part visible is the stub that the lead is bolted to.
That photo would suggest that salvage is well under way.

Go find the keel, stick it back on , buy some new cushions.... all sorted

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size