Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2018, 21:41   #496

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Hmm, well....
It would sure be nice to hear from the corner of the victims of the hard grounding. After receiving funds from well wisher of the boating community it can be expected to know what resulted from the proceeds.
Hmm, blame and shame, two words I have little use for... on the other hand if guilt should be the result , so be it.
That said, I wonder if the previous owner is sleeping good these last few nights ?
Dad had experience with hobies, hardly cruisers that’s for sure.. pops should have had the know how to at least check the keel bolts. But maybe he did , maybe they did.
All this thread has been a lot of speculation, anger and triviality its terribly ridiculous when we think of that. What’s with this boating community? Who was down there looking that even lended a hand? Anybody ? If they buy my Columbia 28 ya think they’d try John Pass again? Well they damn well should lol. Of course I’d be the sob if the keel fell off haha.
Boomers millennial sold farts wise arses whatever tag you wear or spout , we are all in the same boat, at the mercy of the sea and your gods, if you have no gods then it’s on you and you alone then ain’t it ?
Parents get your kids arses off the couch and your own too. Shut off the tube and shat can the vid games. Go cut your lawn , no plant a garden there with your kids. The last generation is not responsible, you are responsible now. You are responsible for your destiny not me or anyone else.
https://www.facebook.com/SurviveOurC...1019398351734/
Old 15-02-2018, 23:51   #497

Boat: Westerly Sealord

[QUOTE=Delancey;2578254]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle G View Post

Well, at least the bottom looks pretty clean....
Interesting... in that photo it looks like a shore structure of some sort in the foreground... however their Facebook page has a photo of wreckage on the seabed.....
Old 15-02-2018, 23:54   #498

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
It seems to be a very strong trait in the USA, to help a neighbor in need, Good for you
...hmmm...
vindictive me would modify this to "...neighbor, the fool..."
Old 16-02-2018, 02:12   #499

Boat: naver 29

I'm currently learning all i can about charts/navigation etc (online/RYA books) so learning scenarios like this are of interest to me,i took a look at the chart of where the incident happened and i assume the route to follow would be approximately where i've drawn-ignore the marked channel and follow the markers? in a situation where the is conflicting information on a chart whats the general advise?also,at the top of the picture there are 2 circled markers,ignore them as i've figured it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stjohns.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	164254  
Old 16-02-2018, 02:25   #500

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
I'm currently learning all i can about charts/navigation etc (online/RYA books) so learning scenarios like this are of interest to me,i took a look at the chart of where the incident happened and i assume the route to follow would be approximately where i've drawn-ignore the marked channel and follow the markers? in a situation where the is conflicting information on a chart whats the general advise?also,at the top of the picture there are 2 circled markers,ignore them as i've figured it out.
Conflicting information or not it is always prudent to stand off an unfamiliar port until daylight.... regardless of how long you have been doing this sort of stuff for....

If you only had CM93 1.31 charts available the entrance would have looked like this.... no sign of that cut at all....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pass.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	164255  
Old 16-02-2018, 03:29   #501

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
What was the lesson learned?
Be I'll prepared and get rewarded?
They've learned the lesson of not entering a channel/pass/inlet that requires local knowledge since these channels are continually changing from what the charts, markers, or buoys say........ we have several here where you will run aground if you follow the channel markers/charts in. You usually have to favor one side or the other especially during low tide

It happens quite a bit. (accidents on sailboats) We had an experienced sailor (several actually) sail into one of the tunnel islands on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel recently while heading out to sea. Some of these guys fall asleep while others sail too close and get blown into the islands or the current causes it. These guys usually have already sailed a day or so coming down the bay to the entrance

Other sailboats get blown into the bridge and then call the Coast Guard for help. One guy said he good blown into the bridge because his engine wouldn't start and because of the high winds! This guy was mid 60's and had two crew onboard. The wind was blowing at the bridge (perpendicular to it) so he would have had a beam reach to sail in to his creek. Winds were around 35 knots that night and had been forecasted for days in advance. He was blown about 5 mile before he hit the bridge.....

This is one of the boats that hit the island:

https://www.facebook.com/cobbsmarina...type=3&theater

They cut it up and disposed of it in a dumpster:

One of the islands:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ches...=1518780744664
Old 16-02-2018, 04:55   #502
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Here is another thread on this forum by an intelligent young couple who want to go to sea. What a difference a few brain cells make.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ow-197563.html
Old 16-02-2018, 05:20   #503

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Here is another thread on this forum by an intelligent young couple who want to go to sea. What a difference a few brain cells make.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ow-197563.html
Looks like they haven't left yet so this proves nothing.

Also, they didn't say whether or not they'd attempt to enter an inlet where local knowledge is required because they were tired or running low on beer etc
Old 18-02-2018, 03:02   #504

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Looks like they haven't left yet so this proves nothing.

Also, they didn't say whether or not they'd attempt to enter an inlet where local knowledge is required because they were tired or running low on beer etc
Thom , unless you are trying to make a joke, I find your comment quite lame.
Or you haven’t read that thread at all.
Or your compass may be akilter...
They are on a better course of plan than the other unfortunate unprepared couple.
Old 18-02-2018, 03:17   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle G View Post
I assumed that the bridge control would have radar - but I've had a look at images online and can't see a scanner anywhere, so maybe not. Apparently it operates 24hours, so I'd have thought that there would be some way for them to be aware of what's approaching the bridge at night.
Usually, it is the captains responsibility to contact the bridge, not the other way around.

Not saying the tender couldn't have called them on the radio but not his responsibility and he wouldn't know the sailboats draft.
Old 18-02-2018, 03:21   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Val , I agree that nice to have . The trouble is you are usually grounded when the depth finder tells you that same information.
The young man stated he was in 9 to ten feet when suddenly hit something.
A local boater said the locals often hit it. I think it has to do with the weird channels markings as the chart could be misconstrued if not interpreted correctly. If there’s a slight miss-que in gps , bang in the fog !
On the eastern icw , gps had me running thru docks as I was clearly mid channel.
I guess my point is , even at 2-3 knots it’s nearly impossible to stop tons of mass from hitting a ledge formed by uncharted shoaling. In dense fog no less.
Perhaps in daylight one can see eddies and currents to better navigate.
The experience plays into this situation prominently.
If this is where I think it is, the bottom comes up very gradually, so you typically have noticed.

If 2-3kts knocked the keel off hitting a sandbar, it was coming off soon anyway. Then again, he said he was nearly thrown off the boat, so that doesn't sound like 2-3kts.
Old 18-02-2018, 03:24   #507

Quote:
Exactly, so they have learned a lesson, made out with a few donations, and will be more prepared next time.......
If you are potty training a puppy and he drops a big one behind the couch, does he do better if you praise him for doing it behind the couch?

Pretty similar here. They did something stupid and got rewarded for it.
Old 18-02-2018, 03:26   #508

Boat: 41' yawl
Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
They've learned the lesson of not entering a channel/pass/inlet that requires local knowledge since these channels are continually changing from what the charts, markers, or buoys say........

How does one know the difference between an inlet that requires local knowledge, and one that does not?
Old 18-02-2018, 04:00   #509
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
How does one know the difference between an inlet that requires local knowledge, and one that does not?
When you hit a sandbar and the keel falls off.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 18-02-2018, 05:27   #510

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post

Excellent question. I wish I knew.
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size