Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Wife left. Sold house. Buying boat. Sailing around world. Good idea or Bad idea?
Yes, go for it! 171 89.06%
No, you're crazy! 3 1.56%
Yes, and I want to come with you! 16 8.33%
No, but I have a great friend, sister, daughter for you to meet. 2 1.04%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-05-2010, 22:45   #1

Traded Wife and House for Boat . . . Now what ?

Hi,

I woke up a few days after Christmas last year and found a note from my wife informing me that she had moved in with one of my friends. Not just any friend, but my best friend. Oops, I didn't see that one coming. Oh well, such is life. Anyway, after a year of being bitter and angry, I decided to shake things up a bit and pursue a life-long (34 years) dream. I sold my house and I am in the process of buying a 50 foot Beneteau. My plan is to take a year, or two, or three, and sail around the world. I was a rescue worker at the Pentagon on 9/11 and I have had a lot of issues with PTSD and depression since then, so I figure I will use this time to recharge my batteries and hopefully get right in the head. I will have enough money from my home to outfit the boat safely, and I intend on taking enough classes, crew trips etc. to become proficient. I have some sailing experience, but clearly I have a ton to learn before I set off. So here are some questions:

1. What are people's thoughts on a Beneteau 50 for a circumnavigation? I looked at 423 and 473's, but I found a sweet 50 for a great price. I figure it's as big as I can singlehand when necessary, and it's at the upper end of my budget so I wouldn't want to go bigger. And since this is going to be my and my dogs' home for a while, I really don't want to go smaller. Advice before I hand over my deposit?

2. I know it's a bit premature, but what are people's thoughts on East vs. West (route). I would like to leave from the the Eastern US and head west through the canal, then across the pacific etc. But I have heard differing opinions.

3. Best way to become proficient in a relatively short period of time. ASA classes? I want to be responsible and prepared, but I also want to get going as soon as practical.

4. Anyone wanna come with?

5. Is this whole thing a bad idea? Should I just be boring and buy a condo somewhere?

Thanks,

Eric
sleptic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, circumnavigation, east coast, pets, wife, boat