Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 21:54   #1

Boat: SouthCoast 23, Harley Quinn
Saying Hi.

Was just looking around in a spare bit of time, and came across this oh so interesting and informative site! My husband and I have been living abourd our SouthCoast 23 for about 6-7 months now and it's so nice to find a place where I can 'glean' information without the seemingly standard cussing that I find every where else. I'm no prude, but I find it hard to get some of the information amid all the..language clutter. Just wanted to intorduce myself before I drive everyone batty with questions. I'm from an extremely land locked bit of land in Texas, and I've lived on the coast for less than two years now, no prior sailing experience. So, help me surprize my husband with a bit of knowledge!
Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 22:25   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Story, Wecome aboard

Well, you've come to the right place for info. There’s a lot to found here. A little tip on info, not that we don't want questions, but if you go to the search button above you may find some threads where your basic questions have been already discussed. And then I'm sure that may bring up more questions, or explanations to some of the lingo.

Living on a 23' boat? You must really get along with your guy Let me guess, your under 30. A 23 would break an Ole' Salt's back .

We do try to keep an eye out for the scupper lips, we're continually scrap'n the scum out.

Have you considered taking a sailing course locally? You may get a jump on the ole Man............................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Welcome Story - As Delmarrey pointed out, this site is extensive, and a lot of topics have and are discussed. Please feel free to jump in to existing one or start another - but I would suggest reading through some of them first, as there is a lot good information already there.

I see that you've found out where the profile information is - it makes it a lot easier for responding folk to understand how to phrase their answers, when you post your questions!

23 feet!!! wow ... I'm 6' 6" tall, and while 23' sounds great for a day sail, I don't think I could live ALONE aboard that size boat.

If you don't enter into this site on the forum page, then you can always click on the phrase "Discussion Board" at the top center of any page, in the main banner Menu, just below the banner picture.

Enjoy!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:01   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Story,
Welcome aboard!! I know you'll find all the answers to your questions here. For the best book on basic sailing get a copy of "Start Sailing Right!" I've taught sailing since the late 70s and haven't found a better starter book.
There are lots of other books on living aboard that can be found in used book stores that are helpful and deal with stowage and everyday hints.
Good to have you aboard.
Kind Regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 22:22   #5

Boat: SouthCoast 23, Harley Quinn
Thank you for the welcome!!

Actually, my husband and I get the "What, 23 feet!? How do you do it?!!" bit alot. He's 5'11" and 22, I'm 5'3" and 21, and, yes, we do get along VERY well!!! "I'm going to the dingy!" just doesn't sound right, and ends us up in laughter. It's atight fit, but you'd be surprized just how roomy and comfortable it can be, especially when you've got it set up right. Neither of us can stand up in it, of course, but it's ours. Completely paid for and legal. The nice thing about having such a small boat is that the Coast Guard safety requirements are nearly as numerous as that as for longer boats.

My husband is a sailor, that's what he does for a living, and he spent his childhood, teenage years, his whole life, out on the water.

Now, I am wondering, what is a scupper lip? I'm not yet that fluent in 'sailor speak'. Sorry, but I'm working on it. A friend, who is 21, and 6'4, who lives on the Morgan 22' next to my boat, is trying to make up terms on his own, but this doesn't work so well since he walked here from Chicago, it's interesting!

Thank you all for your help and friendliness. I had already begun to go through the old threads on this site before I became a member, and and died laughing several times already, and have picked up a few really interesting bits already! Again, thank you all!

Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:42   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Story,
Scuppers are holes in bulwarks that let water flow off the deck if you get a wave aboard. They are usual lined with a bronze fitting or other metal fitting. The protrusion that is on the outside of the fitting is called a "scupper lip" and prevents water from coming into the boat via the scupper. That is the real definition. Of course, many things on boats have what my be termed as weird names and can have negative connotations when applied to sailors. Such as, "Jack is as smart as a bollard." So, it depends on how the term is used as to to what it might mean.
Hope that helps.
Kind Regards, JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 10:48   #7

Location: West Coast of Mexico in the winter and the mountains of Arizona in the Summer
Boat: Hunter 42, Summer Wind
Hello . . . when I first met my husband I was little lost on the terms too! Decided I need to take a course if I was going to keep, beside the kind of sailing he wanted to do it was a really good idea to know how to handle the boat by myself!

In case you haven't already found it . . . this is a good site for terms!
http://www.schoonerman.com/sailingterms/index.html
Hunter42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 17:08   #8

Welcome to the Board. The Hunter 42 is a nice sailboat. I am sailing a Hunter 33. The Schooner website is interesting, just amazing how informative this place can be.
Golden Isles is offline   Reply With Quote