Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2006, 12:56   #1

Boat: Cascade 42 Tabula Rasa
Proper Introductions

Hello from Steve, Rowena and Dylan Kirven
I joined a month or so ago, but neglected to introduce myself until now. Thanks for all the information and some downright entertaining post.
We have recently moved up from a 26' Haida sailboat to a Cascade 42, which we are now upgrading. (on a tight budget) We plan to cruise locally, in the Puget Sound area, over the next couple of years and then, hopefully, cruise from Tacoma to N.B. through the canal.From there, who knows!?
I look forward to tapping your collective advice and perhaps, I may even have a comment or two myself. We are going to sail this summer with the current rig, furling main ( behind the mast) and jib, to see how we like it before investing in new sails and rigging. Then new electronics and solar and we're off. ( O.K. maybe a few hundred other projects and a couple more years of work)

Cheers
Steve K
BTW should any beer questions come up or you find yourself in need of a professional taster, I am a professional Brewmaster!!!
Stevek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 13:23   #2

Welcome to this world and I suspect that we have quite a few "professional" tasters in this eclectic crowd.
Old 22-06-2006, 13:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
For a number of years (over 35) I was billed as an unofficial Cruisers "Spiritual Advisor". I kept cruisers informed on the features, functions, and benefits of all the various spirits on the market. This required that I 'indulge' in extensive & intensive research, which (in the 'spirit' of the matter) I wiilingly undertook & reported.

Never one to take things literally, I endeavoured to cover the brewed libations as well.
I've since retired from those responsibilities, and (gladly) pass the torch to others.

Accordingly, I am pleased to pass the torch to Steve K, in respect of all heavenly "brews".

Steve K, I wish you well in your newly appointed position as "Official Brew Meister" to the CruisersForum - may your liver serve you well.

Lest anyone doubt my authority to grant such priveledge, I am (more than) willing to provide references.
My apologies to thatt learned member that advised us all of the correct use of qotation marks.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 14:45   #4

Professional Brewmasters, Professional Tasters, Official Spiritual Advisors... I feel so underqualified.

I can only claim to be an amateur gynocologist.
N.M.I.ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 15:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
An amateur may be as, or more, competent as/than a professional, but is motivated by a love or passion for the activity; rather than material gain (pay).
As a “latrine Lawyer”,. And a retired “swordsman”, I cannot sympathise with N.M.I.ke’s lament at his "amateur" (gynecologist) status. Wear it in pride!!!

FWIW:
Last night, Maggie and I were sitting in the living room after dinner, watching TV, as usual.
I said to her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle.
If that ever happens, just pull the plug."
So, she got up, unplugged the TV, and threw out my beer.
I was unamused!!!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 16:18   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
BTW should any beer questions come up or you find yourself in need of a professional taster, I am a professional Brewmaster!!!
I have a good friend educated by the head of American Homebrewers Association. A Brewer is always welcome at my dock. Clearly, the worlds's oldest profession. The duties as "Official Brew Meister" will be forth coming.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 17:54   #7
Kai Nui

GORD, That was one of the funnies things I have heard in a VERY long time I WAS amused.
Old 22-06-2006, 20:59   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Welcome aboard SteveK,
We'll compare notes as you make repairs on your Cascade 42. Mine is up "on the hard." Currently I'm rebuilding the cockpit area. Will let you know how that turns out.
Regards, --John--
P. S. I just found out that you get 3 gold stars as soon as you post 100 messages.
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 22:31   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Welcome aboard from another NW'r. I'm up here in the North Sound up a river on the hard (most of the time). But we'll be head'n out the end of July for a jont up into inside of Vancouver Is. for about three weeks.

As a professional Brewmaster, what's your opinion on the local Red Hook. I've taken a liking to it but still seem to fall back on good ole Bud.

Hope we'll see you out on the sound (we have 2 other boats). And are you going to do a fireworks cruise on the 4th. We'll probable be at the Gasworks Park for the big one, in out li'l runabout.

.................................................. .._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2006, 07:15   #10
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
John - 4 at 250
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 00:29   #11

Welcome to cruisersforum, SteveK.

I'm a professional (BURP) brew taster too!!

Welcome aboard!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 21:53   #12

Boat: Boat owner wannabe
Wow CaptainK way to go
BubbleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2006, 06:30   #13
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Nuther Newbie here...

Hello,
My wife and I sold the house in New Jersey and moved to the Turks and Caicos Islands just over a year ago. We are building a house here, and are starting to search around for a cruising catamaran for the two of us. So far, everything points to Gemini for us. Shallow draft very important here. We are interested in cruising as far north as maybe Miami, certainly Harbour Island Bahamas, as far south as Trinidad, and as far West as we can get for Central America. We already have a name for the boat!! (we just need to find the boat. probably a used MC105 or 3400 that needs some TLC)