Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2008, 07:09   #1

Boat: Not yet
Sailor wantabe

Hello all;

I want to buy a sailboat. A Chrysler 22' was mine until about 4 years ago when we sold it. Right now we have been chartering. Will probably set up a charter today for the Apostle Islands with another couple.

I have taken some chartering classes and am certified up to 36'.

I would like to own a boat but we live in Iowa and it is a long way to decent cruising water. 7.5 hours to Apostle Islands. We looked into Sailtime at Racine WI but decided that wasn't a very good deal if you didn't live there. I am retired and my wife works part time and can get off anytime she wants and could quit if needed.

We looked at a Pearson 33-2 last year. Have looked at new Bavaria's and were fairly impressed (30' and 34'). I don't think that we would go new since I think you can get more for your money used but don't want to get a fixer upper either especially if I don't live close to the boat.

We have talked about maybe finding a boat and getting a summer cottage/condo wherever the boat is. Maybe moving around with the boat each summer until we found a place to stay.

We will probably spend more time chartering to see if we would like as much as I think we would. Don't think the wife is as excited as she needs to be to move or buy a boat right now. She sounds supportive but not quite sure it is what she really wants.

Seems like the real issue that needs resolved is whether to move to a more sailing friendly place. It would be tough to leave family and friends.

Okay, it is time for you to solve my dilemma.

Al
awindj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 07:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
There’s lots of (pocket-cruiser) trailorable sailboats.
Perhaps this might be an interim alternative?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 07:37   #3
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Al, welcome to the site. A trailer/sailor is a great suggestion although, if you are retired at anything approaching the normal age, the lack headroom may prove to be a 'pain' for anything more than day sails and the occasional overnight. This of course is to say nothing about the need for a suitable vehicle for towing - a costly proposition to both purchase and operate.

Chartering is a great idea for two reasons: firstly, it will give you an opportunity to see if spending expended periods on board is really something that interests you; secondly, to scout potential areas for relocating.

You just may find that you will not need a condo - that you are perfectly happy living aboard a boat (and if not full time, at least part of the year). An added advantage to a larger boat is that it will give your family/friends an opportunity to share in your new life. Finally, as to locations, you may find that locating a boat in a warmer climate will not only enable to use your new purchase year round, but will provide a nice destination for family and friends to visit. You may even find that the grandchildren (and your friends) will be lining up to spend time with you - and 'quality' time, since the small world of a cruising boat is conducive to conversation and the sharing of new experiences.

Anyway, good luck in your quest.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 08:46   #4

Boat: Laguna 26
We do the trailer boat thing..

but don't feel that we give up as much as we gain. We usually keep our boat in a slip on a large lake so we can sail anytime we want. We also have a trailer and can pull the boat to anywhere we deciede to explore, or bring it home for repairs and upgrades. In fact we have two trailerable boats right now, a 22' thats in the water and a 26' that will be going in soon after a 2 year refit. Then the 22' will come home and maybe sold.

Our 26' boat has over 6' of headroom, a nice aft berth, enclosed head, fridge, pressure water with a 40+gal tank, autopilot, solar power, wind generator....

We plan to trailer it to places we want to explore on the US coast and maybe even sail it from Florida to the Bahamas at some point. We would also like to visit the Sea Of Cortez. We can do all of that and when we get tired of it or run out of funds we can haul her back home and put her in the driveway.

Not everyones cup of tea but so far it has worked for us.
TX Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 10:17   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day,
7.5 hours to go sailing? Thats nix. We used to drive that far for a bottle of milk in Oz!!
Seriously - welcome. Hope you enjoy the site, and enjoy your sailing.
Take care
JOHN.
Old 28-03-2008, 12:42   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Al,
Welcome aboard! You'll get lots of good suggestions. Hope you can decide on a good one and try it. Iowa certainly is a long way from deep water. I thought it was bad being 100 miles from a good marine store.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote