Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2007, 23:27   #1

Boat: Don't have one yet.
Hello from a wantabe captain.

Hey all. Been reading the forum for a little while and felt it was time for me to register. I live in Ohio next to one of the largest man-made lakes in the world, but you can still see all the way across it, so I don't really have an opportunity to go water sailing">blue water sailing anytime soon. A few summers ago I went out on a Catalina 22 (i think) and it was awesome. Unfortunately, the owner of the boat has either past, or he has decided to move back to NY where he said he owned a harbor so I haven't had a chance to go out again. My problem is, ever since that summer all I really want to do is sail. (That is when I am not pondering the beautiful women around here or trying to make a buck.) I'm not married (thank the stars) so I don't really have to worry about anything other than my dog so I think that I will be able to get to the deep blue sooner rather than later now that I have decided to chase down this goal. I'm sure that I am like many others that have had setbacks, but I feel I am starting from scratch. I will say that I am struggling to learn the lingo I read on the forum, but I'm sure I will catch on pretty quick. I think that I would like to have a trimaran due to its stability and potential speed, but honestly other than that I don't know much. If anyone has any pointers for me or just words of advice I would be happy to take them.
Keep your sticks in the air and I hope to see ya on the water someday.
Speed...
Speed_419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 23:32   #2
Kai Nui

Welcome Speed. My only advise is, to quote Nike, "Just Do It". We all takes our lumps from time to time, but the only way to get there from here is to go.
Old 24-10-2007, 02:59   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_419 View Post
... I will say that I am struggling to learn the lingo I read on the forum, but I'm sure I will catch on pretty quick ...
WELCOME ABOARD!

Here’s a couple of online Sailing Glossaries, that may help:

A glossary of sailing, marine and nautical terms and phrases. Anything marine related

Sailing glossary

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 03:07   #4

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Welcome aboard I have to agree with Kai Nui. Get a boat and learn, Just do it. You can do it.
Old 24-10-2007, 07:09   #5

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Hi, I'm in the same boat, a theoretical one! But -
To learn we (the good lady herself) and I are doing a Cat Familiarisation two dayer with a Portsmouth UK company. If that's OK I can start checking out the price od the Mahe 36 with the Mods I want for live aboard for as long as this 63yrs body can, 63 and still dreaming of boats.
For a competent DIY'er without hindrances there are some great boats out there. Prouts are indistructable and available from 50k dollars. Allow 25k to put into shape and 5k a year to keep her sweet. Sounds expensive? Try an add in the local paper
'Wanted - Good Woman - with boat. Please send picture of boat.'
You might get lucky.
Plan 'B' - See the crew wanted sites and get paid to learn and have a great life too. My nephew did the Med for three years and only got off because they were going transatlantic with a skipper that used the bottle too much.
Try it for a year then you can always go back to work.
Or wait till you're my aga and wish you'd done it years ago.
Best wishes Trev
Old 24-10-2007, 11:11   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Speed,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. That sailing bug bites hard and usually takes a big chunk.
I recommend the book "Start Sailing Right!" It'll get you headed in the right direction as far as knowing how to sail a boat. The library is usually full of books with pretty glossy photos of many different kinds of boats. What you need is experience in sailing aboard several different kinds before picking an expensive toy. Find your nearest marina and put a note on the bulletin board. Never try to tell someone you have more experience than you do because it will be very obvious.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
P. S. Every boat's skipper is the best sailor ever born and has the greatest craft ever constructed.
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 16:46   #7

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
I felt the need and after being a member of the OPYC I bought a boat. I figure I have about 10 years before I will retire to the islands aboard my boat.
easterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 01:07   #8

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
speed,
welcome aboard
message me, i have an extra copy of the book that SkiprJohn was talking about, and will send it out to you if you want it and will use it.
GordMay, I have not forgotten your Hot Banana Love sauce, i will send it out too.
Christmas comes early sometimes...
Old 30-10-2007, 04:14   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I will say that I am struggling to learn the lingo I read on the forum, but I'm sure I will catch on pretty quick.
As with sailing most of what you need to know can be learned by just showing up. A little bit of lingo and a very tiny bit of downright seriously important stuff and you are as close as it gets. We have a lot of eveything here except the important stuff. That takes a lifetime and a lot of reading. It's what the rest of us are doing here because you always are looking for just a little bit more.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote