Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2014, 18:50   #16

Re: Old Geezer looking for Advice...

I'm your age, and I can raise the topsails on this sweetie by myself! The crew tending the braces might object to this boast, but they're just slackers.

Ten years ago I wondered if I had it in me to crew. Today I still do. So, get to the gym, then go out and sail!
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 19:01   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Good advice from many sailors "senior" to me at the young age of 55. Chartering and finding out what do you really want to do with the boat are gems to take home. I want to sail oceans, so I got a 40 footer, yet I can still solo her comfortably. What is right for you?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 19:02   #18

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Old Geezer looking for Advice...

My wife and I are 67 and last winter went from Kentucky Lake to Punta Gorda, Fl and back; 2,800 miles. We did a 50 hour crossing from Clearwater Pass to Pensacola Pass coming back, 30 hours over from Panama City to Clearwater. We've had our Hunter 356 since we bought it new in 2003. Get roller furling main, roller furling jib, autopilot, good instruments, radar and sonar, generator and all the amenities so your wife will be comfortable and you will know where you are. We have a tracking KVH antenna and Dish network and my wife watched the Today show from the middle of the Gulf of Mexico in the comfortable, 72 degree climate controlled salon with our generator running. Also get a full enclosure for your cockpit and you will be much more comfortable during cruising and you can remove the side panels when you are in warmer climates.

Unlike another poster, I wouldn't recommend a schooner in Maine. We did that one summer with 21 people from the Kentucky lake Sailing Club and although it was a lot of fun, it was very primitive and the cabins were very small. My wife was a good sport, but we wouldn't do that again. If it had been her first or an early sailing cruise, it would have been over right there.

Sailing is a lot of fun, but get a boat that makes it very comfortable and your wife will tolerate some adversity. As to the winches and hauling sails, get a good setup and with the in mast furling and roller furling jib you will find it very easy to handle the sails. Modern boats make sail handling easy and electric winches and portable electric winches make getting sails in and out a snap.

Good luck on your new adventure!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 21:34   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
Unlike another poster, I wouldn't recommend a schooner in Maine. We did that one summer with 21 people from the Kentucky lake Sailing Club and although it was a lot of fun, it was very primitive and the cabins were very small. My wife was a good sport, but we wouldn't do that again. If it had been her first or an early sailing cruise, it would have been over right there. ................
I'm glad that "Clark" added this personal observation. I am the "another poster" who recommended these schooner trips; however, we sail about Penobscott Bay & around Vinylhaven on our own 41' with just the two of us. When I see the crews on these big old schooners I tend to assume that they are having as much fun as we are. ..... maybe not!
Old 10-07-2014, 00:21   #20

Wow! Thank you all for your excellent replies - all seem positive and very encouraging. Sailing is about all I can think about now... remembering those great times when I had my boat, then thinking of the challenges of starting again. Sailing on a lake I never was much at navigating so that would be new, and just handling a larger boat - lots to learn.

The Hans Christian was just lovely sitting in a small cozy harbor but it's not what I'm set on. I'm trying to have a very open mind. Back in the 80s when I was sailing I had my list of favorite cruisers - pacific seacraft, bristol channel cutter, baba, valiant, among others. All mono-hulls but everything is under consideration now.

My main concern is my physical fitness, but after reading some of your replies and remembering working winches, I feel a bit better. My upper body strength has slip quite a bit so need to do something to strengthen it. My overall health is good - no meds, and I walk a lot and ride my bike a lot, but could do more. I like the yoga idea. Marie's into it and sure keeps her trim and flexible. She's a runner too, about 3 miles a day religously.

Not sure how to tackle the ASA courses. I know they're offered in Austin out at Lake Travis but think I would rather do it on the coast for a more practical experience. Corpus Christi has them and there are beaucoup offerings in the Houston area. The charter boat idea is excellent.

Don't really have any set plans on where to cruise. We like it in Europe. Last summer we were in Sweden and Denmark in the camper. Lots of really nice small town harbors in the Baltic & N Sea - very beautiful and picturesque. But, I'm longing to see some of the US - maybe Pacific NW or New England. We tend to like it coolish after a winter in Austin but that could all change.

Thank you all very much for the help and guidance - I plan to pick everyones brains more, but please offer up anything you think might help us. This is a great place, great community and has a really comfortable feel. I like it.
bhamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:30   #21

Hi Byron,

Tried to reply to your PM but not a trusted member yet so wasn't allowed. Thanks for the words of encouragement and I look forward to reading your blog. I really enjoy reading first hand accounts and think it's a great way to learn. I still remember the Pardey's books on Serafyn and their circumnavigation. In the 30 years I've been away from sailing I can't imagine how many great stories there are.

Guess I need to get back to the 'here and now'. Marie's giving me funny looks for typing so much and staying at the computer so long. We're off to explore this beautiful park (Park naturel of Lorrainnne) and we're camped right on the Moselle River - it's really spectacular from a landlubber's point of view.

Kind regards,
Bruce
Old 10-07-2014, 03:33   #22

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Bruce, I am 70 years old and my wife of 38 years and I sail a 41' Beneteau quite comfortably in the Caribbean (BVI). As an old retired airline pilot, it reminds me of the old aviation adage that can surely be applied to sailing "The superior pilot is one who uses his superior knowledge and judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill!" That said, don't hesitate to get out there and follow your dream, prudently. George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:15   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts1544 View Post
"The superior pilot is one who uses his superior knowledge and judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill!" That said, don't hesitate to get out there and follow your dream, prudently. George
George, thanks - I put that quote to memory. Made my day.

CaptForce, may have made a slight breakthrough with Marie. She finally got curious and saw a sailboat on the computer. 'oh, what's that?'... 'just a charter boat in the carribbean - water sure is nice'...
one thing led to the other and last thing she said she might like the idea. Well, I can only hope.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:54   #24

Hi, just a short note we are doing our offshore Yachtmaster with miramar sailing in Antigua. They provide it in modular stages through the 4 months however you can drop in and pick the parts you want/need out of the itinerary.
Brian and Pippa have been really helpful and can source your accommodation.

Good luck and take care,

Ashley & Emma
AshleyandEmma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:15   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Geez,

Pull the trigger... You won't regret it...

They have ASA courses all over... West/Gulf/East/BVI's

Have fun man!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:51   #26

A restful nights sleep cannot be assumed on the water.
You may be a long way from medical care, 911 wont work.
maintenance is big bucks, but the fuel cost is lower than your RV.
Water must be made or ferried to the boat.
I'd say it depends on where you go, it could be a great time, but can be physically demanding... you need to assess your condition... both of you.

I definitely like the charter idea to check it out. A long one...
You don't need ASA credentials to sail your own boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:24   #27

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamham View Post

Not sure how to tackle the ASA courses. I know they're offered in Austin out at Lake Travis but think I would rather do it on the coast for a more practical experience. Corpus Christi has them and there are beaucoup offerings in the Houston area. The charter boat idea is excellent.
My suggestion, for what it's worth, would be to take the ASA 101 and 103 courses closer to home (Lake Travis) where you have easier and more flexible access to the curriculum and perhaps some boats for charter on the lake afterwards.

Once you've completed the 103 and have some experience under your belt, consider a live aboard bareboat 104 course on the coast or somewhere more exotic like BVI.

Just my 2 cents....
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:26   #28

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Regarding ASA to sail your own boat: your insurance may well require some acknowledgement of your experience.

Regarding "real world conditions": there are some things about lake sailing that are actually more challenging than gulf/ near ocean sailing. For example, the winds are shiftier, both in direction and speed, so you have to pay more attention to them. There are few real waves, but the wakes from the power boats will come from every direction. Of course, you are free to spend your money wherever you choose, I am just letting you know that you have genuinely challenging opportunities close to home.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:36   #29

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

Welcome to the dream club.

My husband and I are 64 and 63. Joined a Crossfit gym last year to get stronger and more physically fit. Will be at Blue Water sailing school in St. Thomas (living on the boat on the hook for a week) March 14, 2015 with an instructor to get certified.
Like everyone else has said, make sure you take your wife some place nice for her first sailing experience. I'll bet there are more of us dreamers and planners out there than anyone realizes.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:53   #30

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Physical fitness is the key to old geezers like us continuing in the game. An over active life of offshore deliveries, ski instructing and boxing into my 40's took a toll, but at 73, I still do the odd delivery for friends. Had to give up cruising and sailing my own boat at 62 and moved off our liveaboard DeFever at 69 due to respiratory problems that required a move away from the coast.
If you don't have any chronic health issues, you're good to go into your 80's so my advice is go for it. Push the envelope as long as it has a stamp and live your dream because you're a long time dead! Besides, for longer passages, you can easily pick up a crew member or two to lend a hand.
Sailing always kept me fit... no need for a gym or workout routine but if you are losing upper body strength, probably a good idea to hire a trainer to get you back to where you need to be. Your legs and butt will naturally stay in good shape just keeping balance and standing up in a seaway.
There are many folks out there sailing and having fun well into their 80's. Don't miss a minute of it! Cheers and fair winds to you both... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote