Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 23:02   #1
Registered User
 
Serenity_'s Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Columbia mouth
Boat: coming soon.......
Posts: 49
Smile New Guy Checking in

New guy checking in

Been lurking for a while now. I am very new to sailing but I spend hours reading about it every week and finally scheduled an ASA 101 class to experience it and figure out if it is right for me which I am 99% sure it is.

I am the type of person who believes in researching before jumping into something so I figured I would get through at least ASA 103 before jumping into the purchase of a boat. I do have my eye on the Gemini 105 cats, probably an early '00 - '03 as I find them to have certain characteristics that appeal to me such as the interior space, flatness of travel and price range.

I am looking forward to learning more about sailing and in time, contributing to the forum when I become more aware and refined in the art of sailing.

I am 30 years old, a website designer and forum administrator by trade and looking to "automate" my business in the next year or 2 and pursue the dream of cruising the Bahamas for the winter months and eventually become proficient enough to circumnavigate. I have had many adventures in life to include traveling the world, fighting in the war, living in several countries over the course of 4 years, living....loving....and losing.

Thank you for your time and look forward to learning more and more about the art of sailing.
__________________

__________________
- Dave

- Serenity is the state of being serene. Serene means to be calm and peaceful.
Serenity_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 23:10   #2
Registered User
 
Sabbatical II's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lake Macquarie
Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Posts: 756
Images: 1
Hi Serenity and Welcome to the forum. You can learn heaps here. saling Couses are a great way to start. Good luck!
__________________

__________________
Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:40   #3
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Posts: 2,439
Hi Serenity and welcome to the forum! As a web designer/administrator you have a distinct advantage in terms of funding your cruising life while aboard and your approach does seem quite logical. You will find various threads here that will help with respect to your choice of boat and virtually any other question that may arise.

Here's to your future!

Brad
__________________
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:32   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
Ocean Girl's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In transit ( Texas to wherever the wind blows us)
Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Posts: 4,115
Images: 2
Thanks for your service and welcome to the forum.
Cheers,
Erika
__________________
Mrs. Rain Dog~Ocean Girl
https://raindogps34.wordpress.com
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:17   #5
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Thanks for your service
He didn't say which side he was on....................

Yeah, welcome aboard Serenity
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:32   #6
Registered User
 
Serenity_'s Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Columbia mouth
Boat: coming soon.......
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
Hi Serenity and Welcome to the forum. You can learn heaps here. saling Couses are a great way to start. Good luck!
Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Hi Serenity and welcome to the forum! As a web designer/administrator you have a distinct advantage in terms of funding your cruising life while aboard and your approach does seem quite logical. You will find various threads here that will help with respect to your choice of boat and virtually any other question that may arise.

Here's to your future!

Brad
Thanks Brad, from what I am figuring out it is quite possible with careful planning! I have 0 ties to the land other than my computer and my ridiculously expensive hobbies like cars which I am growing out of and the adventure appeals to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Thanks for your service and welcome to the forum.
Cheers,
Erika
Thank you Erika, it was the by far the greatest honor in my life to serve my country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
He didn't say which side he was on....................

Yeah, welcome aboard Serenity
lol, you never know these days I was an U.S. Army infantrymen for 5 years with back to back combat tours under my belt.

Thank you all for the welcome
__________________
- Dave

- Serenity is the state of being serene. Serene means to be calm and peaceful.
Serenity_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 13:06   #7
Registered User
 
Serenity_'s Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Columbia mouth
Boat: coming soon.......
Posts: 49
Oh and I should give fair warning to all on the forum, I love posting smileys

__________________
- Dave

- Serenity is the state of being serene. Serene means to be calm and peaceful.
Serenity_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 13:08   #8
Registered User
 
SeaBungalow's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Where ever the boat is
Boat: Tartan 37 - Sea Bungalow
Posts: 34
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaBungalow
Welcome Aboard

We learned the same way, only been on 1 sailboat before we took an ASA "Learn-N-Cruise" course where we spent a week on a sailboat cruising and learning. We earned our ASA 101,103,104. Was a GREAT introduction to cruising!

To read about how we got started view our post on Cruisers Nation: How to start cruising | Cruiser's Nation

Cheers and welcome.
__________________
Ken & Tammy on s/v Sea Bungalow
How we started in a TX boatyard www.seabungalow.com
or read our story on: www.cruisersnation.com
SeaBungalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 18:53   #9
CF Adviser
 
TabbyCat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: cruising in the Pacific
Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Posts: 334
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Quote:
I am 30 years old, a website designer and forum administrator by trade and looking to "automate" my business in the next year or 2 and pursue the dream of cruising the Bahamas for the winter months and eventually become proficient enough to circumnavigate.
You'll find lots of good advice on this forum about how to stay connected to the web while cruising. My job it requires a lot of bandwidth, but I've been able to manage it for 4 years of cruising, so I expect someone as techie as you can certainly make it work.
__________________
Susan
IMIS - Int'l Marine Ins Svcs
http://www.MarineInsurance.CC
TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 19:15   #10
Registered User
 
Serenity_'s Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Columbia mouth
Boat: coming soon.......
Posts: 49
Thanks! I have done a little researching on low power consumption computers (probably go with a nano or pico itx setup) and a way to keep in contact. I noticed there is a forum vendor who sells marine wifi antennas however I don't know if that would suffice in keeping me in contact while cruising say....the bahamas. Everything else seems a bit expensive but I will keep researching.
__________________
Serenity_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:49   #11
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 110
Howdy dave,

A pico ITX would be pretty nice, currently using an Asus culv laptop which is an overclocked ULV cpu. Power draw is pretty reasonable... though I have been looking into SBC solutions as well. Post up if you find anything.

ps:- Beagle boards use only 2 watts (but they are more designed for handheld/tablet devices as they have ARM CPU's).
__________________
troymclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:37   #12
Registered User
 
Adax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: By the River of Silver
Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Posts: 304
Welcome to the forum Serenity. It s a great place to hang out while you are making your plans
And I so disapprove of posting smileys .....
The ones you posted shall be confiscated ......

Seriously though, they are great. May I borrow the pirate ship,please ?
__________________
Adax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 13:24   #13
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Thanks for your service. I retired Navy and used to tease my Infantry buddies (yes, I had a few) about how much they must like camping. They used to ask me about my cruise ship fun. My last ship was a Cruiser.
regards,
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 14:45   #14
Registered User
 
Serenity_'s Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Columbia mouth
Boat: coming soon.......
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
Howdy dave,

A pico ITX would be pretty nice, currently using an Asus culv laptop which is an overclocked ULV cpu. Power draw is pretty reasonable... though I have been looking into SBC solutions as well. Post up if you find anything.

ps:- Beagle boards use only 2 watts (but they are more designed for handheld/tablet devices as they have ARM CPU's).
2 watts! That would be fabulous. I will have to read up on them. I do need something that will run Photoshop which is a heavier program to run so I will have to keep that in mind. I will post the results of what I find when I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by benardbert View Post
Hi....serenity,
This forum had great information about sailling. I hope this will help you.


Thankyou,


Quote:
Originally Posted by Adax View Post
Welcome to the forum Serenity. It s a great place to hang out while you are making your plans
And I so disapprove of posting smileys .....
The ones you posted shall be confiscated ......

Seriously though, they are great. May I borrow the pirate ship,please ?
I found these on the net and are not copyrighted so have at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Thanks for your service. I retired Navy and used to tease my Infantry buddies (yes, I had a few) about how much they must like camping. They used to ask me about my cruise ship fun. My last ship was a Cruiser.
regards,
Oh the Navy jokes I have!

Thank you for your service also
__________________

__________________
- Dave

- Serenity is the state of being serene. Serene means to be calm and peaceful.
Serenity_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
checking in underway Meets & Greets 3 16-09-2008 13:41
Checking out... ssullivan Meets & Greets 3 09-04-2008 14:43
Checking In g3air Meets & Greets 4 16-12-2007 23:54
New guy checking in. captnem Meets & Greets 5 03-08-2006 08:14
Just checking in. Jentine Meets & Greets 0 08-05-2004 11:08



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.