Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 08:29   #16
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Landlocked in Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
That's awesome... Nothing intrigues me more than history, including the evolution and varied religions... Well... maybe blue water does...
I think the name and your theory is fantastic...

ANYWAY... Maybe down South a bit... Here, it's the Land O' Churches! Growing up in CA, I've never experienced anything like it... Honestly... I'll seriously wager that in a 20 mile radius, there's 300+... Sunday morning here looks like Planet of the Apes... Or maybe Rapture...

DON'T even think about Walmart, or Lunch after 11:00 though!

edit: Where not too far???

double edit:

Mostly Arkansas, but in my youth I built houses all over the SE as a journeyman framing carpenter; mostly Arkansas, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia. Started on a framing crew at 16. Eventually moved up to restoring old Southern Gothics and other pre civil war era houses, which started me down the path of craftsmanship that ended with a fervent desire to build wooden boats by hand. Here's one of my early projects. Lots of history there. Don't think we need to worry about the hijack, seems the OP may be one of those who posts and doesn't return!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	87810  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:54   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Mostly Arkansas, but in my youth I built houses all over the SE as a journeyman framing carpenter; mostly Arkansas, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia. Started on a framing crew at 16. Eventually moved up to restoring old Southern Gothics and other pre civil war era houses, which started me down the path of craftsmanship that ended with a fervent desire to build wooden boats by hand. Here's one of my early projects. Lots of history there. Don't think we need to worry about the hijack, seems the OP may be one of those who posts and doesn't return!
Holy crap!

What a stunner!

You were definitely down in the right area to exposed to "many an unspoken thing"... What a great way to start life... Being one of the most strategic locations of the Civil war, Corinth has some really nice period homes... I'll find some pics for ya, or take some... It Ain't no Vicksburg, Beaufort or Savannah... But a few really awesome one's... It would take you a zillion years to see everything in the Shiloh park too...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:04   #18
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Holy crap!

What a stunner!

You were definitely down in the right area to exposed to "many an unspoken thing"... What a great way to start life... Being one of the most strategic locations of the Civil war, Corinth has some really nice period homes... I'll find some pics for ya, or take some... It Ain't no Vicksburg, Beaufort or Savannah... But a few really awesome one's... It would take you a zillion years to see everything in the Shiloh park too...

Yup, Dutch walls and a real green slate roof. All framing in oak 2x6 (real ones). IIRC, the order for slate for the roof was over 250k in 1990. A real bear to roof that tower! Double dogleg staircase with stained glass windows, French doors in cypress heavily carved, Cupid moldings on the crown rail corners, and a fur lined mirrored ceiling elevator which goes up to the original 1920s era speakeasy/gambling den which was built in the attic! I could go on. The servants quarters are out back, and a much bigger and nicer house than most! A famous British mural painter was brought over in the 30's to paint all of the upstairs bedrooms. We found his work under generations of wallpaper and restored it all. Each room has a theme, including the "Kama Sutra Room"!

They just don't have places like that in Cali, no history there to speak of. I loved restoring those old classics. Always left you wondering. "If these walls could speak"!

Old 06-09-2014, 10:05   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yup, Dutch walls and a real green slate roof. All framing in oak 2x6 (real ones). IIRC, the order for slate for the roof was over 250k in 1990. A real bear to roof that tower! Double dogleg staircase with stained glass windows, French doors in cypress heavily carved, Cupid moldings on the crown rail corners, and a fur lined mirrored ceiling elevator which goes up to the original 1920s era speakeasy/gambling den which was built in the attic! I could go on. The servants quarters are out back, and a much bigger and nicer house than most! A famous British mural painter was brought over in the 30's to paint all of the upstairs bedrooms. We found his work under generations of wallpaper and restored it all. Each room has a theme, including the "Kama Sutra Room"!

They just don't have places like that in Cali, no history there to speak of. I loved restoring those old classics. Always left you wondering. "If these walls could speak"!
Oh man... It's no wonder you've become the restoration artist that you are... I could literally spend days in there looking... Like Winchester and Hearst... Googled Dutch walls, got nothing... Planked over studs? I couldn't imagine roofing with slate, let alone the complex tower... My houses in Cali were tiled, and I once roofed a mountain cabin with asphalt... Cracking and ruining tiles over the compound curves because of the cold... Quite entertaining having to bucket brigade hot tiles from the wood burning stove quickly enough to lay the tricky curves!

It would be a delight simply to see the fixtures in that house let alone the assembled product... I would have loved to have seen the period wall paintings, and everything else...

Definitely nothing close in Cali... Imma Mission Nut, and seen all of those... Capone's compound in Ensenada... And of course the previous 2 mentioned...

Old 06-09-2014, 11:27   #20
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh man... It's no wonder you've become the restoration artist that you are... I could literally spend days in there looking... Like Winchester and Hearst... Googled Dutch walls, got nothing... Planked over studs? I couldn't imagine roofing with slate, let alone the complex tower... My houses in Cali were tiled, and I once roofed a mountain cabin with asphalt... Cracking and ruining tiles over the compound curves because of the cold... Quite entertaining having to bucket brigade hot tiles from the wood burning stove quickly enough to lay the tricky curves!

It would be a delight simply to see the fixtures in that house let alone the assembled product... I would have loved to have seen the period wall paintings, and everything else...

Definitely nothing close in Cali... Imma Mission Nut, and seen all of those... Capone's compound in Ensenada... And of course the previous 2 mentioned...

Dutch walls are brick layed triple thick with the bricks interlocking and then interior framing tied in. They built those houses to last hundreds of years. All arched ceilings with lathe and plaster. Your tiled roof experience sounds oh so familiar. I'll have to shoot you some pics of my wife's best friend's teak house on top of Potrero Hill if you like the Mission, it's amazing. Here's a few more pics of the Elizabethan manor for ya, note the fancy work. I'll see if I can throw in an old pic of the double dogleg staircase.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	601624_592329607462212_1523311989_n.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	87823   Click image for larger version

Name:	482397_592329500795556_786767623_n.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	87824  

Name:	72618_592329504128889_1196599315_n.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	87825   Click image for larger version

Name:	hd-gift-shop.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	87827  

Old 06-09-2014, 11:33   #21
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Look at the "Dutch Bond". Same as the "English Cross Bond" method.

Brickwork - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	270px-Brickwork_in_english_cross_bond.svg.png
Views:	382
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	87829  

Old 06-09-2014, 11:55   #22

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Welcome to the forum, Houngan, if you're still here.

I am a native Kentuckian myself, from Covington. I got myself unlandlocked at age 18 and except for a couple of brief forays inland have never looked back. That was 42 years ago. You have the Lakes there too and Hobies, according to my husband, can be lots of fun.

Watch out, these things can be addicting, beyond addicting really. But sailing has changed our lives for the better in more ways than I can tell you. I hope it does the same for you.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:07   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Dutch walls are brick layed triple thick with the bricks interlocking and then interior framing tied in. They built those houses to last hundreds of years. All arched ceilings with lathe and plaster. Your tiled roof experience sounds oh so familiar. I'll have to shoot you some pics of my wife's best friend's teak house on top of Potrero Hill if you like the Mission, it's amazing. Here's a few more pics of the Elizabethan manor for ya, note the fancy work. I'll see if I can throw in an old pic of the double dogleg staircase.
Holy crap man... Truly amazing...

It boggles my mind with the evolution of construction methods, and the labor/materials that went into building before modern framing methods... I mean... If you had to pay for this labor now... What are we talking... $500-1000/ft??? More??? Would love to see the Potrero "missionita"!

Quote:
Look at the "Dutch Bond". Same as the "English Cross Bond" method.

Brickwork - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I has been schooled!!! TY!