Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 06:47   #16
Den

Boat: Dreaming of one day owning a 25-30 footer.....
Actually. SHHHH! I was born in Newfoundland. HAHA.

Though we could go moose hunting in New Zealand as there are rumoured to be some there. They flew them in in the early 1900s from Canada. True story. Though the version I told my oldest daughter a few years ago involved them flying there on their own........

For some reason she didn't believe me....

Thanks Gord. I was looking at that site this morning and then after my wife saw it I believe our decision is made. It may be a few years but I think we found where we want to go. I even checked the rates at the marina. Heehee.

Commuting an hour is no big deal as when we lived in Southwestern Ontario a few years ago I drove 2 1/2 hours each way every day to work in Toronto.......driving!! LOL. Averaged 600 km (400 miles) a day 5 days a week.

One thing I need to check into is whether we can legally convert the house to solar/wind power as it's not allowed in many places. But we are budgeting 40-50 grand for the conversion and hopefully it'll be enough. our intention is to get our expenses down to as little as possible once we make the move.

Though I'll be running our vehicles on biodiesel (at least in summer) I doubt I'll find a diesel in the size boat I'm looking at getting. (Approx 26 footer me thinks..) So, is there somewhere up there I can take sailing lessons? (I never assume, supposedly.)

Even if it DOES take a few years for me to heal/us to move/get a boat, I'm just happy I'm able to even dream about it! The fact that it's now looking like a possibility (though maybe some time off) has made me quite excited. It may not be a big boat but it will be mine and that's good enough for me.

"Life's a gas."-The Ramones.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:16   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
One thing I need to check into is whether we can legally convert the house to solar/wind power as it's not allowed in many places. But we are budgeting 40-50 grand for the conversion and hopefully it'll be enough. our intention is to get our expenses down to as little as possible once we make the move.
I would suggest you just can't get enough payback for yourself with an investment of that much. Solar and alternative energy when financially advanatagous always take a while to pay back. Not sure if you could do it and use it a short time then sell to live aboard and be ahead of the game. You might check on how it will increase your resale value so more of the investment could come back to you when you leave.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:58   #18
Den

My wife would never agree to go on the boat at this point so liveaboard will probably always remain a dream. I'm not worried about payback as I'm doing this to "put my money where my mouth is" LOL. Once we leave here (Toronto) we don't intend to move again. Unless something major changes that.

And I would hope we might be able to do it for less but it's my opinion that most people that have tried solar/etc and said "It doesn't work" have usually "cheaped out" somewhere along the line and paid the price.

My intent is more that we will (when we move) have the money and long term are hoping to depend on "Big Brother" as little as possible whether it's Hydro or...?? LOL.

Though on most things I'm pretty flexible.

Old 11-06-2008, 17:25   #19
Den

I'm just happy to even know I can get a small boat. LOL.

As for the alternative energy. I like the idea of making my own power rather than send it to the Hydro companies. it's always kind of rubbed me the wrong way that they are basically a monopoly and basically over time we've let them hold us hostage so to speak. of course this all has very little to do with boats, Heh, but IS why I started an energy forum that is "Anti-Al Gore". LOL.

Basically, we're going to move up North, get a boat and go back to my roots in many ways. (I've lived in "the woods" with no power or running water when a kid though we have no intention of giving up our basic comforts!)

I've always been a carguy but our recent "Anti Street Racing Legislation" (Bill 203) has pretty much put a nail in the coffin of driving here. But that's okay, it also fueled my final kick into figuring out I really COULD get a boat. yes, I made excuses for a looong time.

Old 14-06-2008, 04:34   #20
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Good to have you on the forum. Try "Start Sailing Right!" for a good primer on sails and sailing.
Do you have a link to this part as I tried a search and maybe it's just me but i keep getting references to it but I can't seem to find the thread/section itself??

Old 14-06-2008, 05:31   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
“Start Sailing Right” is used in the US SAILING’S (Red Cross) learn-to-sail programs.
Amazon.com: Start Sailing Right!: The National Standard for Quality Sailing Instruction (US Sailing Small Boat Certification): Derrick Fries: Books

“Start Sailing Right” Quick Reference Sheet (Free on-line)
http://www.dcsail.org/documents/review-packet.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 06:37   #22
Den

Thanks Gord. Even at a quick glance I learned. LOL.

I always THOUGHT tacking was sailing "into" the wind but never knew for SURE! Now I do.

Yes I have a LOT to learn as iIve never been on a sailboat. Grew up around powerboats though smaller ones but know nothing about sail. yet......

Old 16-06-2008, 02:37   #23

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha
Hi Den
Hey get yourself a searunner trimaran. Ideal for the whole family.
Make a dream come true and sail downunder. I live on an island called Waiheke.
Good
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 03:30   #24
Den

deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossad View Post
Hi Den
Hey get yourself a searunner trimaran. Ideal for the whole family.
Make a dream come true and sail downunder. I live on an island called Waiheke.
Good
Now that sounds ideal.

Southwinds Multi Media

Thanks.

Old 16-06-2008, 04:03   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossad View Post
Hi Den
Hey get yourself a searunner trimaran...
And check out some of Steve Rust's posts. He sailed a Searunner Tri on the Great Lakes, and also posted some great pics.

Profile:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...Brust-366.html

Gallery:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...500&userid=366

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 06:25   #26
Den

Thanks Gord.

I found myself doing a search the other day and saving link after link with other info I felt I'd want to read through when I noticed half the informative threads were started by you! Heehee. Thanks.

Tags
Canada