Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 17:28   #1
Den

Boat: Dreaming of one day owning a 25-30 footer.....
Hi from Canada.

Well, it says to say hello since I'm new so I shall.

I probably won't post much as I don't actually own a boat. hopefully one day but at the moment I'm trying to work on this Congestive Heart Failure thing I got stuck with recently. HAHA.

I am 44 (well 45 tomorrow...) and have 3 wee daughters, Emily 8, Madeleine 7, and Olivia Rose 5.

I dream of once day moving to Tasmania Australia and getting a small boat and who knows? It COULD happen.

Anyways, I've always been a "carguy" and also loved mostly powerboats. Thought I'd get a trawler if i ever came "into money" but as I have been more and more getting into alternative energy, etc, I have re-assessed my prioritys and well. Sails now appeal to me. Who'da thought?

I mainly joined to learn as i have nothing really to "add" but hopefully no one will mind if I tag along and dream as I read your storys and information and hopefully get some of it to be retained in my brain.

I've done a quick "looksee" here and like what I see so far and the community feeling here is very enticing.

Thanks for having me aboard.

"Life's a gas."-The Ramones.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 18:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Den,

Welcome aboard!

Everyone here sails a little different in a different place. We all do it on our own terms. Perhaps you'll find yours too. It is possible. Be a little careful with the geography. Those folks from Tasmania don't consider themselves part of Australia. Given we have a few as members perhaps they could lend you some tips on getting there soon. Can't hurt to have some friends if you get there. It's one of the amazing things about this place. We have people from just everywhere.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 18:12   #3
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Everyone here sails a little different in a different place.
I don't got no stinkin' sails!

Welcome aboard Den from a fellow Cannuck! Plenty of experience in both power and sail here! What happened with the heart? My wife had a heart attack back in Feb. Two yrs ago it was me with angina. Maybe it's all the maple syrup and back bacon we consume eh?

Jump right in and ask away.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 18:17   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Welcome Den. Enjoy the ride.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 21:23   #5
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Plenty of experience in both power and sail here! What happened with the heart?
Strangely enough, even though my family has a history of heart problems, the dr's said in my case it was a Virus! Probably during a simple cold.

How is your wife doing now? Fine I hope.

And to all. Thank you for the warm welcome.

We have friends actually in Hobart who offered to sponsor us but I'm not sure now the heart thing might kill the whole thing. Plus Visas are no longer available at age 45 and as of 20 minutes ago, I'm 45! HAHAHAHAAA.

I do like the climate there as I hate the summers here (Toronto) and prefer cold weather but due to the heart can no longer "take" the cold. Catch 22 eh?

I also have a couple Australians as members on my auto forum and am myself a member of the AUS Chrysler and Ford sites along with a few others.

TAS seems perfect climatewise and I like the idea of not having to store a boat in winter. That'd make up more than enough for missing my beloved snow.

If not, we will just move to Northern Ontario along Lake superior and even if it's a timy one, I can still get a boat! Never give up. Right?

Old 05-06-2008, 21:56   #6

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
Den! I lived in Toronto long time ago , too bloody cold, too bloody big ,moved to British Columbia fourteen years ago and never looked back.
It started from a dream ,than I took a dinghy course ,than a day skipper course ,bought an offshore boat last year and we are going cruising . Canoeing in Algonquin park in the summer was great.
Stop dreaming ,do something with it.
Regards , Henryk
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:40   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Happy Birthday and welcome aboard, Den.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:41   #8
Den

Oh man. Gord's in Thunder Bay. Now we're talking. LOL. (so far we been looking at Thessalon but know very little about the area other than I've spent time in Sault Ste Marie and Bruce Mines as a kid.)

Old 06-06-2008, 11:17   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Den,
Welcome aboard! The best sailor I have been proud to know comes from Tasmania. Now he is in GB.
Good to have you on the forum. Try "Start Sailing Right!" for a good primer on sails and sailing.
kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:14   #10
Den

Thanks John. I will.

I always planned before I ever "left port" (Does that translate to "Left left"?) even if I DID eventually get a small boat to take some type of course and also to at LEAST enroll our daughters in "Waterbabys" or similiar to learn to swim.

My wife has no interest in it as she's afraid of "deep water". And I would just be happy to find something to fix up. I'm not fussy and I don't care who it impresses. LOL. I'm more concerned with a solid base and seaworthiness. The 'extras' can come later.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:21   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thessalon is on the wrong lake (Huron, not Superior) - actually, the North Chanel is a wonderful cruising locale.
I’m also a escapee from TO (left in ‘72). I couldn’t take the afternoon drive home from work, nor the weekend drive to Algonquin or Georgian Bay.

Old 06-06-2008, 16:18   #12
Den

Oops. HAHA. Thanks. See, I said I have a lot to learn!

Old 11-06-2008, 00:02   #13
Den

So, I been looking at the MLS for Thunder Bay. Might be pretty tempting. Also found a few places in red Rock and one perfect place in Nipigon.

We basically want an area where I can at least work part time/odd jobs depending on my heart's healing. And I've also been narrowing what I want in a boat. I WAS thinking about 30 feet but now am thinking mid 20s. Something that comes with a trailer as I guess we'd need to pull it in winter!

I also don't plan to take it out until I learn to actually sail!

Old 11-06-2008, 02:20   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
So, I been looking at the MLS for Thunder Bay. Might be pretty tempting. Also found a few places in red Rock and one perfect place in Nipigon.
We basically want an area where I can at least work part time/odd jobs depending on my heart's healing. And I've also been narrowing what I want in a boat. I WAS thinking about 30 feet but now am thinking mid 20s. Something that comes with a trailer as I guess we'd need to pull it in winter!
I also don't plan to take it out until I learn to actually sail!
Expect you’ll have to work in Thunder Bay (job availability), but could commute from Red Rock or Nipigon).
Nip-Rock (Nipigon & Red Rock) are a little over an hour’s drive (110 Km - 65 mi.) from Thunder Bay.
Both have fine Marinas, as does Thunder Bay.
Red Rock is 74NM & Nipigon 78 NM From T. Bay, by water. To the East lies the village of Rossport (30 or 34 NM).
Nipigon is the Most Northerly Fresh Water Port In North America, and the only fresh water port North Of the 49th Parallel.

Township of Nipigon - Nipigon Marina
Red Rock Marina, Nipigon Bay, Lake Superior, Northwestern Ontario
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nipigon49.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	3823  

Old 11-06-2008, 04:10   #15

Boat: 13 mtr Adams steel cruiser-"Lady Eileen".)
Hi Den,

A warm Aussie welcome to you and hope you continue to heal all the way back to good health.Keep that sensational ( wicked !!! ) sense of humour you threw at me the first time up and you can't go wrong.

Meet me in TASSIE one day ??

We'll hunt for Newfie's !!

HAPPY BITHDAY !!!

Regards
John.
john connell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada