Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 16:25   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to wllmtlsn
Hello to All

My name is William Tolson but I go by Billy. I am 28 yrs. old and have found love of the open waters. I am fairly new to sailing and have only been on a sail boat 9 times. 7 of these ventures were only in the bays around the DC coastal area. the other 2 were in the Florida Keys from Boca Chica Naval Station. I am looking for a way to find a career in sailing. I plan on one day being able to purchase my own boat but in the meantime would like the chance to crew on other boats so that I may gain some experience while working my way to my goals. This is a lifetime goal and I am dedicated to reaching it. I am physically and mentally capable of handling any tasks asked of me and have no problems whatsoever taking orders from anyone or receiving constructional criticism. Any and all advice is welcome. In the meantime I will be studying everything I can find on Sailing and SailBoats.
wllmtlsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 18:08   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Have you considered a maritime academy? Starting out with a third mates license and a four college degree would be a big help. You will need a license anyway if you want to be a master or mate on a larger sailing vessel. There is not a whole lot of money around smaller sailboats. Everyone wants those jobs which keep the wages down.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 18:44   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to wllmtlsn
Yes and No

I have considered applying and want to do any and everything possible to get this done but as of now I can't get the funding for schooling and have the slightest clue how to go about it. I have only recently discovered how much I would love it. So I haven't really had the chance to research anything on it. I'm not sure if they have grants or loans which I would be eligible for and most loans or grants require that you have a copy of the previous or most recent tax return. I have been unemployed since February 2009 and haven't been able to get a copy of my tax forms, just transcripts which aren't accepted. Also I have a poor credit history and work history due to the fact that I was incarcerated from June 2001- February 2007. It is very hard at this time for a convicted felon to get a job. I am now living with my sister and doing small jobs around the area to help supplement her income so I can stay here. I am trying to get out of here because I feel more like a burden to them than any type of help. I don't want to end up a 40 year old still living with his sister. Which is why I am asking for help with gathering information and any other advice. I do appreciate what you are saying and will research it. Mainly, though, I am looking for some small jobs that I could do in the meantime to help me out untill the point where I can advance to get licensed. Thank you for the response and any more info or advice you can give.
wllmtlsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 10:50   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I'd start with a state employment office and see if they have a counselor. Also, junior colleges have counselors that may be able to start you in the right direction for grants and funding.
regards,
Old 21-01-2010, 11:15   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Welcome...

If I could make a suggestion... why don't you check out Web Sites of towns along the ICW.... they have a fair few boatyards along there in places like New Bern, Oriental, Beaufort and Moorhead City also points further North or South... I know they have a fairly fast turnover of labour as most of the folks are boat owner/liveaboards who tend to move around a lot... met afew when I was prepping my boat at Oriental... If you've got wheels you can always crash out in your car till you get your 1st paycheck then find somewhere to rent.... you may even be offered accomodation thrown in to save them expense of a full wage.... there you'll get to know sailors and boats from the ground up... and get paid doing it...
04/05 they were paying $12/hr for unskilled labour... but if you've got your wits about you and are willing to have a go you'll soon move on to semi skilled and further if your any good...
Good luck, hope this is of some help...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote