Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2018, 21:23   #1

Hello from Tarpon Springs, FL

Hello All,

I have kinda been on a boating kick lately, Im a registered nurse and we just had a new travel nurse take assignment at my hospital who told me he lives on a boat. So it brought back memories from my childhood sailing with my step father.

I have been trying get info from the guy at work, but we have not worked much together really, so i have been reading into it online instead.

I am debating the idea of buying a boat to live on full time. I have been staying in a 400sq ft appt at the moment saving up for a house, but now that the idea of living on a boat came into my idea.. i am debating the idea of buying a boat instead of a house.

Im truly not 100% sure what type of boat im interested in, but im thinking maybe something like a trawler would be a good idea. I grew up on a small sail boat, but it was barely big enough to sleep on, yet alone live on.

I have always enjoyed going out on boats and just exploring around, but im not a big time fisher.

storx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 02:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello from Tarpon Springs, FL

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Storx.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 04:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Storx and welcome to the forum,

Sounds like you've been bitten by the bug. At this early stage I would recommend a lot more research before jumping into ownership. Maybe find a way to do some boating with friends or crewing for someone. Also look into local marinas if you're planning to live onboard. Monthly marina charges can be expensive in places. Also, some marinas have restrictions or limited facilities for live aboards.

Trawlers or powerboats in general will have more room than a sailboat of the same length but when you look at the cost on a square foot basis it can be similar. If you plan to do much boating you need to consider fuel costs as well.

Good luck with your plans.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 06:09   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

The Travel Nurse topic has also been a topic of discussion on CF, and several CF members have done something similar to what you propose.

Here is a link to a list of previous discussions about Travel Nurse jobs and cruising. I suggest you read through all of them, as the various members have different experiences and raise issues, etc.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...3183j962585j12

I sailed for several weeks with a Physician's Assistant who lives aboard his boat, and travels up and down the East Coast working contracts at Hospitals in different states, including Maine in the summer. He keeps his boat on a mooring and takes his dinghy to shore, where he keeps a motorcycle to get to the nearby hospital.

Good luck on your decision and I hope this helps.

Enjoy your time on the forums too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 18:00   #5

Boat: never mind...

I'm single, kids are gone, and a teacher. I'm trying to sell my condo so I can buy a boat to live on. It's been a long time dream so, if it hits you, it's in your blood.

Perhaps you can get in touch with your co-worker to get some sailing time in and talk about the liveaboard life. Fair winds!
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 21:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSaint View Post
I'm single, kids are gone, and a teacher. I'm trying to sell my condo so I can buy a boat to live on. It's been a long time dream so, if it hits you, it's in your blood.

Perhaps you can get in touch with your co-worker to get some sailing time in and talk about the liveaboard life. Fair winds!
Thanks,

I have been talking to him at work, just not gotten the courage to bring up asking him to take me out on it lol.... its like his home, just feels weird wanting to ask someone you barely know to take them out.. Think i may get some more time in forming a friendship before i bring up the question.
storx is offline   Reply With Quote