Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2014, 11:27   #1

Boat: Baba 30, Cape Dory 22, Hobie TI
Gulf Coast newb

Hi, I've been using this site for research and ideas for years and figured I should probably register. I hope to make some friends here and learn from the vast experience here and perhaps share a little of my own where applicable.

(BIO)
Currently putting my Baba back together after major deck repairs (I will never buy another boat with screwed down teak decks). I have the Cape Dory and the Hobie to play with and keep me sane while I finish the big boat. Plan to take several years off and cruise on the Baba when it's finished. I hope to find some opportunities to crew on passages to gain some offshore sailing experience in the meantime.
Looking forward to getting to know some of you!

Thanks,
Caleb
cjhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 11:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Gulf Coast newb

Caleb,

Welcome to CF my Suth'n Brethren !!!
(ok that may be a stretch as I'm a transplant born n bred SoCal boy)

There are TONS of great CFr's down your way, NO... another new one with a boat in Slidell...

Sounds like you've adopted the "fix one while maintaining the other one" boating plan... VERY POPULAR... besides the obvious financial disadvantage

Teak decks were made for sales brochures and commissions... They serve no other useful purpose...

Post something in the crew section, and you are likely to have several offers....

Always here to lend help, or listen to horror refit stories...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 12:44   #3

Happy, thanks for the reply. I'll spare you the horror stories but if you have a few minutes (and a strong stomach) you can check out my photos of the Baba project... https://www.flickr.com/photos/99789375@N03/sets/ The set titled fiberglass is where it gets ugly.
FYI, my Baba is in the Clear Lake, TX area and I am there frequently so don't be afraid to shoot me a message if you're around there too.

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 15-03-2014, 13:41   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhaley View Post
Happy, thanks for the reply. I'll spare you the horror stories but if you have a few minutes (and a strong stomach) you can check out my photos of the Baba project... https://www.flickr.com/photos/99789375@N03/sets/ The set titled fiberglass is where it gets ugly.
FYI, my Baba is in the Clear Lake, TX area and I am there frequently so don't be afraid to shoot me a message if you're around there too.

Thanks,
Caleb
Wowsa Friend....

That is a labor of love... I applaud you for saving a piece of history... Not sure where you got the cajones or skills... but from a quick glance it looks like you've got some good instruction... Lotta naysayers wouldn't have gone ply core, but I see no problem with it...

Any time you run into a jam... Post it... You'll get a ton of answers... We have a resident resin guru (minaret) that's here daily...

I'd definitely make it a point to give you a heads up and say hi when I get down that way!

Ed

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 14:32   #5

Thanks, it's definitely been a labor of love (with a few moments of hatred mixed in there). I used to be an aircraft mechanic years ago so composite repairs were nothing new for me. I was also fortunate to befriend the owner of one of the larger fiberglass shops in the Clear Lake area who mentored me through the project as well as allowed me to hire his helper to assist with the fairing and gelcoating. He actually suggested the plywood core and said its no problem as long as it stays dry. If you look closely at some of the fiberglass pics you will see that I built up solid fiberglass in the areas where there are penetrations through the deck ( stanchion bases, deck fills, chain plates, etc). This was done to make me feel better about the plywood core and make it pretty much impossible for leaking seals on deck hardware to get to my core material. Also, the ply panels are compartmented between solid glass to keep any water intrusion from migrating through the entire deck.... again... There are always folks with different opinions but I'm confident that the repair will last quite a while and serve me well. Thanks again, talk soon
Caleb
Old 12-04-2014, 11:53   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. I was stationed aboard a Navy Cruiser with teak decks. Much easier on the feet and for deck insulation than steel. Hard to care for by holy stone.
I wouldn't have them on a recreational boat for just the reason that you stated in your introduction. But, they certainly are purdy.

Tags
gulf coast