Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2020, 17:52   #1

Greetings! Advice requested!

Hello! I've been visiting this site for years and hoped one day to actually have a reason to interact with the vast network of experience in this forum. I've been a sailing hack all my life - racing C & MC scows on inland lakes since I was a kid and had the blessing of bareboat cruising the Virgin Islands several times. I'm two years from retiring from the Navy after 26 years and have convinced my wife that achieving a bucket list of a leisurely (i.e, not in a hurry) sailing around the world upon retirement is a good idea. Thankfully, I think I have success in this endeavor. I've read lots of posts from folks like me, so think I have a pretty good idea of what is in store vis-a-vis expectations of life on a boat, but always welcome more even if I've heard it before. Any advice on the following would be much appreciated:
- Boat insurance. Tips on helping identify the 'right' plan for full time liveaboards who have the expectation of doing some water sailing">blue water sailing. Our plan is to sail the Caribbean for a year (maybe 2) before crossing to the Pacific.
- Routes. As of today, I would not be comfortable proceeding past Australia on a circumnavigation due to the geopolitical dangers of going into the Red Sea, and I've heard the sailing conditions around South Africa can be very dangerous. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the welcome aboard!
ATCPinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 18:33   #2

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Greetings! Advice requested!

Gday ACTPinto, and welcome.
Just in regards to a couple of things. Insurance companies vary and their requirements vary from country to country and to me regardless of which one you chose you need to read the small print very very cafefully and question anything you do not understand. I am based in Australia and the policies vary considerably form policy to policy. Things such as cyclone/hurrican insurnance and excess (if you can get it) and also limitation to where you can anchor.
The other comment is when you say you would not go past Australia. I would suggest that much of Asia is a brilliant cruising ground and you would kick yourself for missing out on it. There are a number of rallies that leave Australia for Indonesia and the people I know who have gone on these rallies just rave about the destination and people. There are some areas of the Phillipines that one would not go to but that is just part of cruising. Lots and lots of info on Youtube.

Greg H
lagoon 440
Oz
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 18:47   #3

Thanks Greg - appreciate the info. My main concern is getting around Africa to the Atlantic to complete the journey. There are only 2 logical routes, both of give me pause, each for a different reason.

How do you like your L440? It's at the top of my list for boat choices...Are you tracking the scuttlebutt on the escape hatches? Is that a concern to you?
ATCPinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 21:11   #4

Boat: currently boatless

We love our 440. Its a late model 2008 model, owners version. We have a hardtop that just makes the boat so more liveable and protects the helm. This is the second Lagoon we have owned. Prior to the 440 we had a 4 cabin 410. Both very good sailboats. If you want to get an idea of what they can do, check out Cat Impi on youtube. He is sailing around the world and documenting their travels.
If concerned about circumnavigating have a look at the ARC route they use. I doubt they would put there rally members at risk.

Greg H
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 21:38   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard ATCPinto!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote