Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 11:13   #1

Future sailor currently in Phoenix

Hello all!

I've read tons of posts on this forum and thought I'd finally sign up so I could join in some of the conversations and ask a ton of questions.

A little about me and why I'm here...

I finally took some lessons last month when I was in Monterey visiting my son who's currently at the Defense Language Institute. I got through ASA101 and ASA103 and then took out a 32' for a week and then crewed a race in Oxnard (I'm so new that I don't even know what I don't know yet). Now I'm hooked and am in the process of getting rid of all my stuff and buying a boat to cruise the Caribbean full time, some time in the next year or so, when I can get a boat and somehow get it to USVI or wherever I'll start from. In the meantime, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about sailing, cruising, and sailboats. I'd have to say that I've been pretty interested with sailing for a long time but after actually getting out there and sailing, it's now become an obsession.

My current problem is that I live in Phoenix, AZ so I can't just pop down to the ocean and see if anyone would like some free crew but I'm willing to travel and since I'm now a blogger/writer, I can make my own schedule. I may see if there's anyone in Lake Pleasant nearby here to get some sailing practice in but I really want to get out on the open water, especially for some travel and overnights, and hopefully at some point do some crewing in the Caribbean.

I've been considering taking ASA104-105 somewhere in BVI/USVI or thereabouts but not sure if I'd be better off just seeing if someone is looking for rail meat crew that I could just learn from - or both.

Oh well, that's me. I'm glad you guys are here.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:36   #2

Re: Future sailor currently in Phoenix

Welcome to CF Graywolf. I'm a neighbor, living in Tucson. There are plenty of opportunities to gain sailing experience right here in Arizona when you can't reach the sea. The Arizona Yacht Club provides weekly sailing regattas on Lake Pleasant and Tempe Town Lake. They also have classes in sailing and racing. If you are a novice and looking for sailing experience, this organization is an excellent way to start. You won't find too many keel boats, but the skills learned racing dinghies is transferable to the larger sail boats your are planning for a future purchase. Let them know that Paul from Tucson referred you to them.
desertsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsailor View Post
The Arizona Yacht Club provides weekly sailing regattas on Lake Pleasant and Tempe Town Lake.
Thanks for that DS. I'll look into them.
Old 14-04-2017, 16:56   #4

Boat: Lagoon 2007 440

Hello Graywolf,
Neighbor here in Phoenix area, West Valley. I have been a member of Harbor Sailboats Sailing Club in San Diego, Ca. since 2014. I am a novice sailor and gaining experiences each year as I venture into the life of sailing. I have skippered and sailed with
instructors, spouse, and friends and would like to crew on another sailboat with more experienced sailors. I work on rotating shifts as a Shift Manager at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station near Phoenix Arizona, so my schedule is abnormal. My wife Micka and I are empty nesters that have been married 28 years and always enjoy new adventures. I am a Bluenose (cross Arctic Circle in Navy submarine) and I have a goal to become a Shellback by crossing the equator in my own sailboat one day. I have tried sailing Lake Pleasant a few times when I was advancing to my ASA104 and the wind conditions were inconsistent and lack luster. I definitely get spoiled with San Diego's consistent weather conditions.
I want to jump into the sailing with both feet but not wild about the $1000 slip storage monthly fees of owning a sailboat in San Diego for the amount of time I get over there. And, I am not convinced that owning a sailboat at Lake Pleasant would satisfy my desires; other than getting to know the boat before I committed it to the ocean somewhere.
Just thought I would make a connection and maybe learn something or explore opportunities with someone in similar geographical location.
Bill

Here is a cut-n-paste from my sailing resume just to show my experiences or inexperiences so far:

My Voyage Log:
9/25/16 Dos Amantes 40' Island Packet San Diego Harbor Mission Bay San Diego
9/5/16 Gretta 45' Beneteau San Diego Harbor and Coronado Islands.
7/4/16 Gretta 45' Beneteau San Diego Harbor and Coronado Islands.
3/22/16 37' Sea Fox Jeanneau Marina Del Ray, CA. Catalina Island, CA.
9/25/15 40' Nymph Hunter Newport Beach, CA. Catalina Island, CA.
9/6/15 35' Calliope Catalina Mission Bay, CA. San Diego, CA.
9/5/15 35' Calliope Catalina San Diego Harbor Mission Bay San Diego
8/23/15 32' Silverwing Catalina San Diego Harbor San Diego, CA.
8/22/15 32' Silverwing Catalina San Diego Harbor Coronado Isles, CA.
6/17/15 28' Kristyna Catalina San Diego Harbor San Diego Bay and ocean
3/14/15 22' Golf Capri San Diego Harbor San Diego Bay
2/20/15 22' Catalina Capri Lake Pleasant Lake Pleasant
8/30/14 22' November Capri San Diego Harbor San Diego Bay
2/17/14 22' Hotel Capri San Diego Harbor San Diego Bay
8/17/12 40’ Ms. Sera Beneteau San Diego Harbor San Diego Bay (Crew)
My Certifications:
ASA ID-2014001311
ASA 101 Basic Keelboat Sailing Harbor Sailboats San Diego, CA. 03/02/2014
ASA 103 Basic Coastal Cruising Harbor Sailboats San Diego, CA. 06/19/2015
ASA 104 Bareboat Cruising Newport Beach Sailing Newport, CA. 09/28/2015
ASA 105 Coastal Navigation Harbor Sailboats San Diego, CA. 06/19/2015
William Mayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 17:14   #5

Boat: Freedom 38

Welcome Greywolf! I bet that once you get to know people, all sorts of sailing opportunities are going to open up. There are also plenty of people who make the jump from Northern CA to San Diego for the Baja HaHa each year. Get on their radars or post a crew wanted about a month or so out from that in the fall. Lots of people enjoy trips to the Channel Islands and like to bring extra crew so you might find out who goes regularly. There's also Latitude 38, which has a Crew List site. You can post your profile, but I recommend actively contacting those looking for crew. A lot of the racing opportunities in Lat38 are going to be in NorCal, but I've noticed some in SoCal.

Since you've already been bitten, then I guess there's probably nothing more I can say to warn you about the obsession you're embarking upon, but don't let the idea of buying a boat dissuade you from the immense value of crewing and learning on OPBs (other people's boats). There's so much to learn and that might be half of what's so interesting about it all. Good luck!!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 21:58   #6

Hi Greywolf- Arizona Yacht Club has a crew volunteer form you can fill out online. I filled it out last year and got a call a few weeks later and have crewed for 2 seasons. In fact have races coming up next weekend. I'm in a similar boat as you (pun intended)- except living in Flagstaff. I'm 2 hours from any water. I've gone through all the scenarios you folks have too- crew vs buy and keep at Lake Pleasant, buy and keep in San Diego 8 hours away, fractional ownership. Ugh no options are great. At this point the best option may be for me to just buy something and keep at lake pleasant just to learn how to handle it. And if it's big enough (and air conditioned) it can serve as a floating vacation home in the valley.
pvermilyea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current, sail