Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2008, 08:17   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
pirate Beginning to Live the Dream

Greetings all. I have decided to do instead of dream. Well, I’m at least taking the first necessary steps toward my dream. The dream is to be a boat owner and sail away as a live aboard.

So, in pursuit, I will be sailing as often as I can, taking classes, reading books, reading sites like this, asking questions, making mistakes, and learning. The people here have helped me already! Thank you very much!

Judy
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 08:21   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
To dream is one thing, but to live your dream is another! All those stated above are important, but learning from your mistakes tops the list. We all make mistakes that's for sure. BEST WISHES with success in your dream.......
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 09:45   #3

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
Welcome Judy, where are you in Virginia ?? Lots of good sailing here.

Bill
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 09:46   #4

My advice (worth nothing) is to not spend the time going from smaller to larger boats till you get to your dream boat.

Try to be realistic as to the size boat you need for your dream and go after it as soon as you can and spend lots of time learning your boat and creating your boat to fit you and your dream and your way of sailing like a glove.

I don't think a boat is anything like a car where you get in one use, sell it, then another and so on.

I'm still on my first boat and have no intention of changing unless I win lotto.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 12:57   #5

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Judy,

Welcome! May your dream come true. Maybe next year, June 2009. Thirty-seven years ago, I started the dream. I am very envious of those that started their dream before they were 24 years old.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 13:55   #6

Location: "Noosa" Australia, I am French by birth and Australian by choise.
Boat: 2 boats , a colson 21 and a bolger micro
dream ?
the sailing life is not a dream , it is a "life -style.." it is like a religion.
we are living in societies who are free to emancipate ourself and choose OUR life- style..( but the way thanks America to have free little arogante France before i was born )
nowdays , more than anytime , a single person can work for few years and afford a sailing boat , boat are not reserved to the elite anymore..
people can choose to live in big cities, building, ect..or live in remote country style or on a boat..technologie of communication free us more from transport and can allowed to live our " little way" , and beeing productive and resourfull.
sailing is not going to be a dream life..it is A life
1 hour of sailing is 10 hours of fixing..
but if you are like me , you love 'mucking around boats by the seas " instead of gardening or mowing the bloody lawn ..
if you can feel like a kids , and look like a rug , and if have no worry to get to the shop your finger nails all black with sikaflex, and your last good shirt with sika too !!
and pain in your hair.., and bare foot
well , join the club , more mad we are more fun we have ..
Old 27-03-2008, 14:27   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I am 57, and when I was 12 my step-father started the dream. He use to race motorcycles professionaly, and was rookie of the year, plus lap record at Daytona in 1955.

When he retired from racing one of his buddies went to Mexico, and opened a charter business there. He wrote my dad, and told him to sell the house, and he could have all the excess business, so there would be money right away if he buought a boat.

My mother gave him a look that would send shivers up Patton's back. We will not sell this house was her reply, and the conversation was over, and never came up again.

Being only 12 all I could think of was living in a swimsuit, and no school. I never thought Mexico would have schools....LOLOLOLOL, but there in my mind's eye the image lived on. When I bought my first boat I no longer had contact with my dad. My mother had divorced him. My brother told him one day that I had a sailboat. He asked for a picture, and until the day he passed he kept that picture on his desk.

Now, and then under a starry night I look up into the sky full of diamonds, and thank him. I know he's smiling when I look up..........

It may start as a dream, but you can make it real. GADAGIRL, DREAM YOUR DREAM THEN BEGIN TO LIVE IT..............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FULL SAIL 1.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	3101  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 17:34   #8

Thanks every one!

I live in Stafford Virginia. Not too many sail boats on the Polluted Potomac though. I don't mind a drive so I will drive anywhere between AC NJ and Virginia Beach for the privilege of a sail

I first had the dream as a young girl aboard Dad’s Bristol. He moved it around over the years. Forked River NJ, Great Oak, Swan Creek, Annapolis, and Baltimore. We had a power boat when I was much younger, I do like to Ski and swim. But I always loved being on the sail boat the most. It just always grabbed my heart the moment the engine was cut and we were under way, in that glorious moment there was no noise, just beauty. So yes it is a part of me, not just a dream, and I’m working on making it my life.

I do like flowers and I find working in the garden therapeutic. I hate to mow the lawn, and curse, it, and the house often. I have begun to get rid of 10 things every day, starting to minimalise (sp?). I like to get my hands dirty, I want to fix engines. I have sanded the bottom of a boat, and that can be therapeutic as well. I will make the trade. I can still grow herbs and cherry tomatoes on a boat. Right?

I am just feeling very empowered by the fact that after so long I am now doing, not just dreaming. At my age of 47 I have no doubt that I will have a boat and be cruising. It’s really no longer a dream but a purpose I guess. I find all of you very inspirational toward that purpose so allow me to thank you again!

Judy
Old 27-03-2008, 20:06   #9

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
Good for you Judy! Welcome.
Old 28-03-2008, 13:09   #10

Location: "Noosa" Australia, I am French by birth and Australian by choise.
Boat: 2 boats , a colson 21 and a bolger micro
I can still grow herbs and cherry tomatoes on a boat. Right?

Judy[/quote]
-----------------------------

Judy , humm . alas ..the tomatoes and herbs do not really like sea salt..
i have your age , and teach women sailing in a beautifull place
"Noosa Australia"and the Whitsundays island , and "Sydney" too
if you type on Google or in your tube
noosa australia
or whitsundays island ..
you will see ,
feel free to contact me on my private email
i like taking women sailing we always have great food and lot of fun..and not too much bossing around or shouting..
if you intending to sail , take some sailing leson, i saw there are few women only school in the States too, of course they are mix sailing classes , but i find sometime , middle age women are a bit shy, so they are more confortable with only women when learning sailing
all the best
cathyoz
Old 29-03-2008, 11:44   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Judy,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here. Cathy is really telling you like it is and I couldn't add much more. The years I lived aboard were some of the best.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 10:21   #12

Hi Judy,
I am near Manassas and have access to a Catalina 22 in Woodbridge. I just got back from a sailing class and am working up the nerve to try to put it into practice myself. I cast off for real in 2014.

Gail
Silverbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 10:57   #13

Boat: columbia 7.6 last safe place
Send a message via Yahoo to bucaneer4u
Hello judy you go girl. I am also working on the (dream) I have a (dream) boat picked out at 35' it suits me well. I sail an old columbia I bought last yr. for $500.00 and have enjoyed the ride very much. it has been a good teacher, I sail on the tenn. river at pickwick tn. I am currently looking to get sea time with someone on the coast. so if you need crew I can be there. never give up. live the life you have dreamed about. yours Dave
bucaneer4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 17:28   #14

Hi Gail, Good for you on the classes! Where are you taking your classes? I am going to try to test out on 101, and perhaps 102 at the end of this season. I believe that hands on experience is probably the most important as far as gaining abilities and confidence. I also know that it’s very important that I have good knowledge of navigation, rules of the road, and fixing and repairing things. After I get 101 & 102 I’ll start taking all the other additional classes. I’m on a budget and I am a bit frugal. I’m working on my 4 posts and then I’ll PM you soon.

Also to Cathy. Thanks so much for the encouragement. I may not get out your way in the near future but I am sure I will have questions for you in the interim.

Imagine2Frilic, That is a very beautiful story. It amazes me at how the little seeds laid in the mind, by life’s encounters with others, really do have large effects.
Old 20-04-2008, 17:30   #15

Hi Dave! I’d love to invite crew along if I only had a boat! I’ve been networking and joining clubs and that is allowing me to get out on the water for now. My dream boat is way out of my price range! So I will have a lot of research and planning to do, choosing a boat that is suited to my needs and budget. It is said that “The Dream/Lifestyle” can be done on any income level. I am being optimistic and hanging my hopes on that. For those that disagree I will be more than happy to show that it can be done. I have determination and persistence on my side J